Player Watch Dayne Beams - Steps away from footy to deal with mental health.

Remove this Banner Ad

The common theme here is both Brisbane and Collingwood have been unbelievably supportive, backed him, and given up a lot to get him to the club (in the way of decent contracts and draft picks) and he has departed appallingly.

Brisbane would be silently very relieved at this point in time.

The common theme here is both Brisbane and Collingwood have been unbelievably supportive, backed him, and given up a lot to get him to the club (in the way of decent contracts and draft picks) and he has departed appallingly.

So would the Pies that they at least got DeGoey and Crisp out of the original deal. ;)

So would the Pies that they at least got DeGoey and Crisp out of the original deal. ;)
Would be terrible if the Pies ended up losing De Goey or Moore due to having Beams on the list taking up $500k+ a year and cant afford to keep another player
How ironic would that be to lose de goey who they selected with the pick they got for Beams

Would be terrible if the Pies ended up losing De Goey or Moore due to having Beams on the list taking up $500k+ a year and cant afford to keep another player
How ironic would that be to lose de goey who they selected with the pick they got for Beams
Jordy wont leave. Moore would be the one i can picture going. Reckon they'll both sign though.

Indeed

Echoes of the Jon Hay trade

I still don't know why they just don't come out and say, the man has a gambling problem.

It might actually inspire other people with gambling problems to seek help.

Playing the "mental health issue" card is a cop out, and detracts from people who have genuine mental health issues they are battling.

Just like illicit substance use and Lance Franklin's "mental health issue"

I wouldn't be just gambling. You'd think doing something positive with your time would help you manage it. Eg go to training etc and play football. Sound like he has genuine mental health problems ...otherwise why wouldnā€™t you want to play football .

Used to really like him as a player until he did that dirty speech at the Brisbane BnF.

I love you guys so I canā€™t leave was the wording I believe, then a few weeks later asked to go to Collingwood. About as low as it gets for me

Even worse was the dummy spit he had about the voting being rigged that he did not win. Hardly made him the most popular bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's absolutely a card. It started being played by clubs in the mid 2000s and is now played at every opportunity.

No one is really any the wiser as to what is going on with Dayne Beams and that is how the AFL wants it.
I was refering to Beams not playing it as a "card" actually. If you think hes putting it on, try watching the interview he did with Neroli Meadows last year.

Everyone take a deep breath ...... the guy can play, the pies back in their culture and system and trade in a gun, just like every club in the comp.

They donā€™t all work and every club at some stage over their existence put their chips in ..... Chris Yarran, Mitch Clarke, Ben Cousins, Brendan Fevola spring to mind.

Clubs are well run organisations these days, weā€™ll resourced and weā€™ll placed to assist with mental health, injury management, including post retirement including financial planning.

For Mr Beams, letā€™s hope he finds a happy place and if one day he can come back to play great footy ....... itā€™d be welcomed by all those that love this game!!

I was refering to Beams not playing it as a "card" actually. If you think hes putting it on, try watching the interview he did with Neroli Meadows last year.

Beams' recent "indefinite break" was announced via club statement. He would have absolutely been coached in what to say and what not to say.

I saw Beams on Fox with Neroli Meadows, I've got a lot of time for him. There's also been plenty of smoke around rumoured gambling debts being the driver for a move back to Collingwood and I am a complete cynic for club and AFL statements.

Thinking this through from Collingwood perspective they had come off a grand final loss where one of their prime movers was completely shut down (Sidebottom) and they lost the midfield battle to West Coast. Adding another skilled mid probably sounded appealing.

Not saying was the best call but there's a logic there

We did the same with Gibbs. Had a crack, blew up in our face, ce la vie.

Keep dreaming, Beams came on minimal money, basically spreading 2 years salary over 4 years, we were losing 1st pick anyway on Quaynor and had to get rid of it and were strapped for cap space, mental health aside it was a smart trade, and lets face it, with De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood already out of the deals we are never going to lose the Beams trades

I don't know, I don't have a gambling problem. Nor do I know if Dayne Beams does.

I would imagine that if there were addictive behaviours, substantial debts, potentially less than desirable characters etc. then it would have an overall negative impact.

I don't believe he would donate to charity if he had massive debts..

I don't believe he would donate to charity if he had massive debts..

The debts arenā€™t necessarily ā€˜massiveā€™ - but can accumulate over a number of lenders.

Itā€™s also difficult for a player to come out and do a Brad Hardie and sell off their playing memorabilia while they are still involved in the game.

Itā€™s a great gesture by Beams (and ultimately Collingwood) but it has ruffled some feathers up Brisbane way....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The debts arenā€™t necessarily ā€˜massiveā€™ - but can accumulate over a number of lenders.

Itā€™s also difficult for a player to come out and do a Brad Hardie and sell off their playing memorabilia while they are still involved in the game.

Itā€™s a great gesture by Beams (and ultimately Collingwood) but it has ruffled some feathers up Brisbane way....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Regardless, people who are troubled by debt rarely take pay cuts or donate to charity. It doesn't make any sense.

Keep dreaming, Beams came on minimal money, basically spreading 2 years salary over 4 years, we were losing 1st pick anyway on Quaynor and had to get rid of it and were strapped for cap space, mental health aside it was a smart trade, and lets face it, with De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood already out of the deals we are never going to lose the Beams trades
Keep telling yourself that , You are a dreamer
Beams has totally destroyed your salary cap and now having to off load players

Keep telling yourself that , You are a dreamer
Beams has totally destroyed your salary cap and now having to off load players
Nope that's the payment structure, unlike Lynch who will drive you back to 9th taking a kings ransom for the foreseeable future

Delusional mate

Lynch kicked 5 goals in the prelim which won us that game and then won a premiership

Beams - Coats you $500k a year cap space and your team is letting go players and possibly lose Moore or De Goey = Shambles
And like the Bulldogs with Boyd you'd take that, but it doesn't change the fact he kills any lasting success, he's on too much and just left his prime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back