• Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn’t want Freo’s list. They’ve got the best midfielder in the comp whilst also having the worst midfield

not close to a flag in the near future and are almost starkers for a graders medium to long term judging output so far

the only potential A graders going forward I can see are Hogan and Alex Pearce who are constantly injured, Luke Ryan and maybe A Brayshaw although he is quite limited

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Two flogs voted Richmond.
1578805334047.gif

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Rowan Marshall is one of the better ruckman in the league, and Ryder is good back up. It’s actually one of their best areas.
I don't know how I completely forgot about Rowan Marshall. He destroyed Richmond when we played them last year. The Ryder of a couple years ago would have been fantastic but I am not sure about the 2020 Ryder being a decent back up. He has a lot to prove IMO after last season.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Surprised there’s so many votes for Adelaide’s list tbh. They won’t be challenging any time soon, but their 25 and under team holds up really well and they’ve got seriously good talent in all parts of the group. The Crouch brothers aren’t old either.
Especially when you compare them to the likes of Hawthorn and Norh

In the spirit of the original post, I think there are five clear standouts. I cant see any of Essendon, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Freo winning a flag with their current list. All ARE too reliant on their top 3-5 players. The intriguing part is they may all finish 7-13 on the ladder this year so shrewd trading/recruiting along with the 'exciting youngsters' reaching their potential may see all become contenders but atm I can't see it.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Question is basically in the title. Basically I am asking in this thread which club do you think is a combination of furthest from a flag and possibly least exciting going forward? I am not asking which club you think will come last in 2020, but that could be taken into account of you want. I am asking if you combine possibly a poor to average ladder position with youth coming through that does not feel exciting which list do you think is furthest from a flag?

For instance, despite the fact there is a good chance Gold Coast are going to come last in 2020 I personally would not have them as the list that I would least want my club to have as sure they will come last this year (likely) but they also have a stack of really exciting young prospects in Rankine, King, Lukosius and now Rowell, Anderson and Flanders. That is a very exciting group of names and it is enough to keep them off the "least wanted" list in my eyes.

For me I would go with North Melbourne. I know it is a controversial choice but I look at their list and I don't think they are winning any flags in the next couple of years and unlike clubs that are ranked lower than them like Gold Coast or Carlton I don't think North Melbourne have any exciting youth coming through that could elevate them to premiership contention either. They are sort of in this weird zone where they are too good for the best draft picks, but not good enough to be in any sort of premiership talks and I don't see that changing anytime soon so I feel like out of every team in the competition North Melbourne is actually the furthest away from potentially winning a flag.

What about you, which team list would you least want based on how far away they are from winning a flag?

North do have the "big four" tho :think::moustache:

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
In the spirit of the original post, I think there are five clear standouts. I cant see any of Essendon, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Freo winning a flag with their current list. All ARE too reliant on their top 3-5 players. The intriguing part is they may all finish 7-13 on the ladder this year so shrewd trading/recruiting along with the 'exciting youngsters' reaching their potential may see all become contenders but atm I can't see it.

Freo have invested heavily in the draft the last 3 years including adding 2 top 5 picks in 2017 and 3 top 10 picks in 2019, so they are perfectly set up for the long-term while remaining competitive in the interim.

Sure, they’ll lose Mundy soon and Fyfe isn’t young but he should still be around at the point they’ll be challenging, and by then they should have a pretty strong squad.

They’ve actually got an enviable list IMO, and aren’t a great nomination for this thread.

Last edited:
Freo have invested heavily in the draft the last 3 years including adding 2 top 5 picks in 2017 and 3 top 10 picks in 2019, so they are perfectly set up for the long-term while remaining competitive in the interim.

Sure, they’ll lose Mundy soon and Fyfe isn’t young but he should still be around at the point they’ll be challenging, and by then they should have a pretty strong squad.

They’ll actually got an enviable list IMO, and aren’t a great nomination for this thread.

Sincerely hope you're right- personally, I see too many 'ifs'

Fit and Injury free Hanners and Carlisle are genuine A Grades though. Hill who we overpaid for imo but he is arguably the best wingman, or top 2 with Gaff.

Jones and Steele have potential.

I think most of these deals have clauses, or front ended contracts.
It will be interesting to see how they go. Certainly a different path.

Geelong got Dangerfield and then topped up around the edges with players from other clubs. Henderson costly draft capital wise in hindsight but everyone else was pretty cheap in what it took to get them to the club and all of them were on reasonable contracts.

Once we tip over the cliff it will be easy to reset at least.

The draft capital and the salary cap implications of the players that the Saints have picked up from other clubs is going to be one hell of a millstone if it doesn't work out. Carlisle, Hanneberry, Jones, Hill, Steele, Howard. It is a lot of commitment to B grade players on A grade coin.

Back