2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If I felt the wrong teams were making the finals I might have a different opinion, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that. In fact in recent years I’d say at least 2 teams have been just making up the numbers in the 8.
People will always find something to complain about regardless, Geelong is a prime example.
All those years we were in the wilderness I never had or heard a conversation about how unfair the fixture was.
Whoever suggested reducing the amount of games to play each other once didn’t think of the commercial reality in doing so.

Guess we simply disagree.
No argument on the 8 & teams making finals.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Dont forget the WA clubs have stadium deals not available to the Victorian clubs. The AFL pays for Victorian footy out of its own money because most of its money - including almost a 1/3rd of football revenue at the MCG - goes to its coffers, not the clubs. The AFL also shoots several million a year at WA.

Legit question, what money do the AFL send to WA outside the 10-12 million they give every club yearly?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
cheers, couldn’t find it in the WAFC financials. That should pay half the WAFC admin costs. What a waste of money.

actually 4 million last year. Its the amount paid direct to WAFC Inc (the consolidated figure includes the distributions to WCE and Freo. Whether its permanently 4m or a temporary increase I dont know.

afldistro.png

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Admin costs, have you seen how many people on the WAFC payroll, biggest overkill in sport. That money would be far better going to the WAFL and the women’s program than jobs for the boys.
Its an admin department. It does the organising, financing and admin for lots of grassroots footy.

If the money goes to the WAFL in its current form, these things don't happen, or the cost gets borne by grass roots.

Or, the WAFL greatly expands its admin capabilities.

Given that I think the WAFL should concentrate on the WAFL, it's probably best it stays as it is.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Its an admin department. It does the organising, financing and admin for lots of grassroots footy.

If the money goes to the WAFL in its current form, these things don't happen, or the cost gets borne by grass roots.

Or, the WAFL greatly expands its admin capabilities.

Given that I think the WAFL should concentrate on the WAFL, it's probably best it stays as it is.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I understand how it works now, more people apparently produce better results??? If I ran my business like that I would go broke.
That so little goes to the WAFL is mind boggling.
the system is what it is, the south west football league have their own administration, they don’t need someone or people at the WAFC to also administer a league that already has people in place.
It’s a waste of money in my opinion.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I understand how it works now, more people apparently produce better results??? If I ran my business like that I would go broke.
That so little goes to the WAFL is mind boggling.
the system is what it is, the south west football league have their own administration, they don’t need someone or people at the WAFC to also administer a league that already has people in place.
It’s a waste of money in my opinion.
Its easy to put spending on admin down, but try running your business without it. Lots of what the WAFC does gets done by the AFL in the East. Technically, they could get rid of the WAFC, and do it themselves (if WA would allow that), but it will not save money imop, it will just shift the costs.

A consideration people do not give is, people mock the disaster fest that is the A league and FFA. This is at least partly due to the lack of admin talent compared to footy. Admin is one of footies great competitive advantages over other sports in WA.

The WAFC runs auskick, many of the school programs, coordinates juniors and colts, now runs the elite talent pathways. It runs the umpires and umpire development at all levels. It sits above both the WAFL and the clubs in the state footy structure. It provides much of the admin and support for all the country leagues and the amateurs. It runs the state programs. Even the Eagles and Freos community engagement endeavours are coordinated through the WAFC (I believe).

Footy sits where it does, because other sports cannot do this, and you think we should stop?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Its easy to put spending on admin down, but try running your business without it. Lots of what the WAFC does gets done by the AFL in the East. Technically, they could get rid of the WAFC, and do it themselves (if WA would allow that), but it will not save money imop, it will just shift the costs.

A consideration people do not give is, people mock the disaster fest that is the A league and FFA. This is at least partly due to the lack of admin talent compared to footy. Admin is one of footies great competitive advantages over other sports in WA.

The WAFC runs auskick, many of the school programs, coordinates juniors and colts, now runs the elite talent pathways. It runs the umpires and umpire development at all levels. It sits above both the WAFL and the clubs in the state footy structure. It provides much of the admin and support for all the country leagues and the amateurs. It runs the state programs. Even the Eagles and Freos community engagement endeavours are coordinated through the WAFC (I believe).

Footy sits where it does, because other sports cannot do this, and you think we should stop?

No the WAFC has a large role to play, my point is they don’t need so many staff to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL out earlier with their announcements for 2019. I assume the Annual Report is still released after the next AFL Commission meeting ie the AGM in March.

On behalf of the AFL Commission, the AFL has today forwarded its 2019 financial results to the Presidents and Chairs of the 18 clubs, in the lead-up to next month's AGM to be held in Melbourne.

In his review of the year, AFL Commission Chairman Richard Goyder said that the 2019 financial year had been one of significant achievement both on and off the field.

Achievements included:

• All-time attendance record for the Toyota AFL Premiership Season was broken for the third consecutive year with 6.951m people attending the 198 AFL matches.
  • AFL club membership surpassing one million members (1.057m), for a second-straight year, representing the 19th consecutive year of growth.
  • A new mark was set for national community participation with the growth in female participation significantly contributing to that increase with 586,422 women and girls playing football nationally – an increase of almost 11 per cent.
  • The expansion of AFLW - with the addition of North Melbourne and the Geelong Cats - saw record attendances with a total of 244,000 people attending matches in 2019, culminating in a capacity crowd of 53,034 at Adelaide Oval for the AFLW Grand Final.
  • An additional $18m investment in country football across the next three years to 2022, the largest investment in Victorian country football in more than two decades.
AFL Chief Financial Officer Travis Auld said the results and the overall surplus of $27.9m allowed the AFL to continue to invest at community level and the overall growth of the game.

The overall consolidated result, which includes the AFL and all of the AFL's controlled state subsidiaries, Champion Data and Marvel Stadium, produced a surplus of $27.9 million.
Other key AFL financial highlights included:
  • The AFL's revenue increased by $15.3 million to $793.9 million, due to broadcast rights agreements and record commercial revenue. This revenue was used to fund the following investments:
  • $314.7 million to AFL clubs;
  • $58.8 million to Community football development; this is budgeted to increase in 2020 by $6 million due to the AFL's investment in Victorian Community football;
  • $37.7 million to the AFLPA;
  • $16.4m in the AFLW competition. This is budgeted to increase by $6 million in 2020 with the expansion of the AFLW competition from 10 teams to 14;
  • $17.9m to infrastructure comprising of elite and community facilities and contributions for stadia redevelopments;
Operating expenditure increased by $7.6 million (two per cent), due to revenue-related increases and increased investment in AFLW and female participation;

Distributions increased by $4 million (one per cent).

The total payments to AFL Executives and Commissioners was $10.57 million in 2019, as against $10.73 million in 2018.

After all revenue, operating expenditure and distributions, the AFL group's surplus for 2019 was $27.9 million, compared to $25.9m in 2018 and ahead of the 2019 budget.
Why not share?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL out earlier with their announcements for 2019. I assume the Annual Report is still released after the next AFL Commission meeting ie the AGM in March.

On behalf of the AFL Commission, the AFL has today forwarded its 2019 financial results to the Presidents and Chairs of the 18 clubs, in the lead-up to next month's AGM to be held in Melbourne.

In his review of the year, AFL Commission Chairman Richard Goyder said that the 2019 financial year had been one of significant achievement both on and off the field.

Achievements included:

• All-time attendance record for the Toyota AFL Premiership Season was broken for the third consecutive year with 6.951m people attending the 198 AFL matches.
  • AFL club membership surpassing one million members (1.057m), for a second-straight year, representing the 19th consecutive year of growth.
  • A new mark was set for national community participation with the growth in female participation significantly contributing to that increase with 586,422 women and girls playing football nationally – an increase of almost 11 per cent.
  • The expansion of AFLW - with the addition of North Melbourne and the Geelong Cats - saw record attendances with a total of 244,000 people attending matches in 2019, culminating in a capacity crowd of 53,034 at Adelaide Oval for the AFLW Grand Final.
  • An additional $18m investment in country football across the next three years to 2022, the largest investment in Victorian country football in more than two decades.
AFL Chief Financial Officer Travis Auld said the results and the overall surplus of $27.9m allowed the AFL to continue to invest at community level and the overall growth of the game.

The overall consolidated result, which includes the AFL and all of the AFL's controlled state subsidiaries, Champion Data and Marvel Stadium, produced a surplus of $27.9 million.
  • The AFL's revenue increased by $15.3 million to $793.9 million, due to broadcast rights agreements and record commercial revenue. This revenue was used to fund the following investments:
  • $58.8 million to Community football development; this is budgeted to increase in 2020 by $6 million due to the AFL's investment in Victorian Community football;
  • $16.4m in the AFLW competition. This is budgeted to increase by $6 million in 2020 with the expansion of the AFLW competition from 10 teams to 14;
  • $17.9m to infrastructure comprising of elite and community facilities and contributions for stadia redevelopments;
Operating expenditure increased by $7.6 million (two per cent), due to revenue-related increases and increased investment in AFLW and female participation;

The total payments to AFL Executives and Commissioners was $10.57 million in 2019, as against $10.73 million in 2018.

After all revenue, operating expenditure and distributions, the AFL group's surplus for 2019 was $27.9 million, compared to $25.9m in 2018 and ahead of the 2019 budget.
Why not share?

Interesting.

Last years consolidated profit and loss demonstrated a ~$24 million dollar lower profit under the consolidated accounts

1582008104761.png

The notes in the concise annual report suggest...

1582008336377.png

So if I am understanding this correctly, the AFL's related interests are resulting in a net loss of $24 million?

Interesting.

Last years consolidated profit and loss demonstrated a ~$24 million dollar lower profit under the consolidated accounts

View attachment 824930

View attachment 824935

So if I am understanding this correctly, the AFL's related interests are resulting in a net loss of $24 million?
That would mainly be Docklands.

Tiger Soze

Nov 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting.

View attachment 824930

View attachment 824935

I don’t think so, says profit was just under $26m. Lower profit but not a loss.

Tiger Soze

Nov 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Achievements included:

Why not share?

First time I’ve seen the afl accounts, what does the AFLPA do with all that cash?

First time I’ve seen the afl accounts, what does the AFLPA do with all that cash?
Look up their website, they love talking about what they do for players and ex players re health insurance, super/retirement benefits, education, scholarships, community stuff etc.

As in, the depreciation of the stadium? The note suggests a "contribution of $4.5M" from SOL upon consolidation
Depreciation, interest and might be making a normal operating loss before these two items.

If you look at 2017 comparison
AFL $48.7m profit
AFL consolidated $60.3m profit but included a Gain on Purchase of $41.4m which means without that gain they booked on buying Docklands - don't know why - Consolidated result was $18.9m - ie a $30m difference.

Looked up 2017 AR with 2016 comparisons so
In 2016
AFL $17.7m LOSS
AFL consolidated $15.4m LOSS

Biggest change between 2016 and 2017 was Docklands purchase, The AFLW came in, in 2017 but that isn't run by a subsidiary company, those figures are in the main company.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depreciation, interest and might be making a normal operating loss before these two items.

If you look at 2017 comparison
AFL $48.7m profit
AFL consolidated $60.3m profit but included a Gain on Purchase of $41.4m which means without that gain they booked on buying Docklands - don't know why - Consolidated result was $18.9m - ie a $30m difference.

Looked up 2017 AR with 2016 comparisons so
In 2016
AFL $17.7m LOSS
AFL consolidated $15.4m LOSS

Biggest change between 2016 and 2017 was Docklands purchase, The AFLW came in, in 2017 but that isn't run by a subsidiary company, those figures are in the main company.

So the "$4.5 M contribution by SOL" must indicate an operating surplus......and a combination of depreciation and interest likely accounts for that ~$30M

Remove this Banner Ad

Back