Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Little defensive I see.

Champion data is good for predictions when it has all of the data but when accounting for things yet to be determined it falls short, it can't predict natural improvement.
I never used it as a predictor.

I think it’s the leadership not the list holding Essendon back. Don’t see how the list is in bad shape. The only important aging players we have are Hurley and Hooker.

I think it’s the leadership not the list holding Essendon back. Don’t see how the list is in bad shape. The only important aging players we have are Hurley and Hooker.
Both pretty important though and need a replacement coming through the ranks. Which you may already have to be fair. I’m no expert on the younger players yet to debut on opposition lists.

Both pretty important though and need a replacement coming through the ranks. Which you may already have to be fair. I’m no expert on the younger players yet to debut on opposition lists.

Yeah definitely agree but it’s only 2 and Hurley spent much of last year playing as a mid size defender so structurally isn’t that important. Hooker is a jet though and is pretty much irreplaceable.

Either way I think Essendon is a poor nomination.

Yeah I have corrected myself about the ruck because I totally forgot about Rowan. He’s fantastic.

Max King is a good prospect, but who else other than Josh Battle and King do St Kilda have as an upcoming KPP? That’s the reason why I was a little worried. Carlisle would be 29 years old by the end of this year and Nathan Brown is 31 years old and there seems to be barely any KPPs on the list in line to replace them. To me, St Kilda lack in depth across the entire field other than mid-sized forwards and defenders (which they seem to have plenty of).

The list can work out over a couple of drafts/trade periods and I am confident someone like Ratten would be able to make it work, but it’s probably the list I would take the least because I personally wouldn’t know how to go about it
KPP's, especially defence which you have singled out, is the last issue with our list.
Howard should be FB for a long time. Battle at CHB and Wilkie did a fantastic job at our 3rd tall all year. All 23 or under.
On top of Austin (24), Marsh (24), Joyce (22) who have all been competent back up defenders at AFL level.

KPF stocks are thin, with a lot of hope on King's shoulders or the option of moving Battle forward again if any of the back-ups come on more the expected. But we already have Brown replaced and many options to replace Carlisle in a few years.

It has its place but like I said in this instance it's not good.
If I had to rank the youth from best to worst it would be pretty similar to the list that CD have compiled. Dogs, Richmond, GWS, Sydney, etc. at the top while Adelaide, WCE, St Kilda, Hawthorn, etc. are towards the bottom.

Power going under the radar

their youth is overrated due to that draft class of rozee etc but there’s not much depth
Port was my vote. They have a handful of outstanding prospects in my view (Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Houston, Burton, DBJ, maybe Marshall if drinks some milk) but half of that list is way over the hill - Hartlett, Motlop, Ebert, Westhoff, Dixon is 90% there, Watts is there if he doesn't recover from injury. And then you have Gray, Boak and Rockliff who can't be far away from drop offs given their age. They've spent a few years in the wilderness and I suspect there will be a few more too. They truly have thrown away a couple of opportunities by keeping Ken around and it looks like it'll cost them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how there could be any serious votes for Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, Richmond, Collingwood or West Coast (leaving Dogs out since I'm potentially biased, and they have no votes anyway). All are either serious flag competitors for another few years, or have seriously good youth. Geelong, Hawks and Port are all reasonably well placed at the moment too.

Only ones I'd be worried about if were one of their supporters are Adelaide, Essendon, Gold Coast, Melbourne, North, Saints and Sydney. Even then, they all have some fairly decent youth in place, and clubs like Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney aren't too far removed from finals appearances, and could very well make finals in 2020.

Gold Coast have a ton of talented young kids, so it's not their list that should cause worry - it's the culture and development aspect.
Saints are hard to pick - could see them pushing finals, or could see them pushing for a spoon. Depends how big the losses of guys like Steven and Bruce proves to be, but adding Hill and Jones is a decent enough result. Couple of really exciting young players coming through too (Marshall, King, Clark)

Not sure how there could be any serious votes for Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, Richmond, Collingwood or West Coast (leaving Dogs out since I'm potentially biased, and they have no votes anyway).
What? I get that they have collected a large number of high draft picks but only three of them will be bonafide stars and one is seriously struggling with injuries.

What? I get that they have collected a large number of high draft picks but only three of them will be bonafide stars and one is seriously struggling with injuries.
They've chronically underperformed the last few years, but the list is starting to mature and show signs of competitiveness.

Who would you consider the three? Curnow, Walsh and Cripps I'm guessing, but you can quite easily add guys like McKay, SPS, Dow, Fisher and Weitering as potential future A-graders. Plus the likes of De Koning, Kemp, Marchbank, Martin, McGovern, O'Brien, Setterfield and Stocker could all produce some quality footy in the next couple of years.

Their drafting outside the first round has been utter dog s**t, but the number of high draft picks has ensured that the list is looking pretty good now. Far more potential in their youth than some of the other clubs who missed finals last year (including North and Sydney)

Three bonafide stars is more than most teams have! Get a few more via free agency, and develop some quasi stars in the Prestia, Edwards range and we’re off to the races.

Three bonafide stars is more than most teams have! Get a few more via free agency, and develop some quasi stars in the Prestia, Edwards range and we’re off to the races.
What? Every team except Gold Coast and Carlton have three bonafide stars.

Marshall is a likely future star.
I rate Howard highly.. almost the best steal of the off season.
King - why not.

Battle and Membrey are role fillers.

They are all young. I would have preferred to see St Kilda build youth around the spine.. i.e go to the draft again.

St Kilda's list strategy is high risk. They have gone for immediate impact players and have a lot on their credit card atm.

Membrey is a bloody good player I think you're underrating him. In a better team he would be kicking 50+ goals and as it is he's quite close to that anyway.

Same with Battle if he played for your mob you would be rating him a lot higher. He was unreal last season and he's still very young.

Last edited:
What? Every team except Gold Coast and Carlton have three bonafide stars.

Depends how low your threshold is for being a star. Cripps is already one of the best in the comp, Docherty was arguably the best half back in the league prior to injury, Walsh, Curnow, Weitering and McKay should become some of the best players for their positions.

We’re going to have bigger issues padding out our team and building depth than we will finding future stars, but usually there’s a cascade effect as the team is ascending.

Depends how low your threshold is for being a star. Cripps is already one of the best in the comp, Docherty was arguably the best half back in the league prior to injury, Walsh, Curnow, Weitering and McKay should become some of the best players for their positions.
Cripps is. Docherty was. I will reserve judgment until I see him perform at the level he was at prior to having two knee reconstructions, but I remain skeptical. None of Walsh, Weitering, McKay and Curnow are close to being elite. Walsh and Curnow will get there eventually.

We’re going to have bigger issues padding out our team and building depth than we will finding future stars, but usually there’s a cascade effect as the team is ascending.
Your challenges will come when you rise up the ladder and stop having access to top five draft picks. You’ve managed to draft reasonably well with first rounders of recent times, but the top end of the draft basically picks itself these days. Recruiters earn their money when they find good players with later picks.

To be fair if any team that gets a few stars through free agency and develop some fringe stars will be probably contending. Not really a sign of where the Carlton list is at.

Back