Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

The two shysters made a commitment that the club would have a presence in Fremantle. The team store hung on for a short time and then that was it. The only saving was the advent of AFLW, otherwise the two Steve’s spoke with forked tongues.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Obviously you can't name names on here....

Since Rosich has left, the board and senior management have been suggesting that the move was a mistake.

Players don't like Cockburn.
Staff don't like Cockburn.
Even BigFooty posters don't like Cockburn.

It's a nice facility (internally) but that's about it. Could have built the same thing in Freo.
How do you know this!!!!! Your views are not the same as what I hear.
Who cares really what BF poster want We just follow the club.... regardless.

I'm sure we were promised two ovals at Cockburn. As I recall, this was a big selling point and further evidence there was insufficient room at Parry St. So where is the second? Is it planned for the Northern side?

I guess I'm just a grumpy old man, but it's not the same for me at Cockburn. And North Melbourne won flags with crap facilities. And lastly, why on earth do we do sessions at Cottesloe Beach? Last time I checked there are still beaches in the Fremantle area. And don't go telling me the 'facilities' are better in Cottesloe.
You mean those flags from 20 and 23 years ago? I don't think they were considered crap in the 90s.

And comparing modern day facilities to the set ups in the 90s isn’t exactly the best comparison. At one stage we were training at Troy Park, John Curtin College etc

East Fremantle had the chance to move to Willetton, we know now how that turned out. It's the same with the Dockers, you have to be in a young
vibrant community where there is scope for growth.
Would it really be that hard to fence the second oval, etc, and utilise the oval? State and federal projects for the population, rather than a surf park?
Curious, I don't know about this East Freo to Willetton move and my quick google didn't bring up anything. What happened?

Didn't an article come out about 5ish years ago about how the highest density of members was in Canning Vale.

The simple undeniable truth is that we should have moved there and shown the Canning Vale Cougars how it's really done.

Curious, I don't know about this East Freo to Willetton move and my quick google didn't bring up anything. What happened?

There was talk a very long time ago, maybe only a rumour that they were looking at Burrendah.
From the glory days of the nineties, the clubs only shining light is their development zones.
An article on the net in 2017 suggesting in 5+ years moving to South Freo and a 20m grant to upgrade.
Competing with Souths, club rooms and bar?
Better to move where the supporting base lie, than eventually folding.

The Cockburn facilities are amazing. Last time I was at Fremantle Oval it just was nowhere near as good. I know there is the talk about "identity" but the facilities are just top notch.

Cockburn would make an ideal site for a wave park. Perhaps a deal could be struck with the wave park promoters to take over the Cockburn facility, enabling Freo to move back to a more congenial training ground. Shade, fewer flies, nice trees, good coffee etc,etc.
Fremantle back coming to it’s home would go along way towards healing the spiritual void brought on us by the previous regime.

No facilities in Freo match what the club has now.

They could go on a big tree planting around the training ground though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We doubled our win tally in our first year at Cockburn ;)
giphy.gif

No facilities in Freo match what the club has now.

They could go on a big tree planting around the training ground though
The barren land on the Southern side is not the territory of the Dockers from what I hear.It is the rights of the land owners there I believe.

The barren land on the Southern side is not the territory of the Dockers from what I hear.It is the rights of the land owners there I believe.

If this is the case are they planning to build there? Either that or it couldn't hurt to shell out and create a nice green area that in time will create some shade.

If this is the case are they planning to build there? Either that or it couldn't hurt to shell out and create a nice green area that in time will create some shade.
Ring the club and ask them.
As I said it really has nothing to do with the club.The developers may not want anything done there.There are tree, small ones already there any way.

Ring the club and ask them.
As I said it really has nothing to do with the club.The developers may not want anything done there.There are tree, small ones already there any way.

I dont know property values down there but I would have thought now would would be a good time to expand their land ownership or leashhold down there. Freo doesnt want to get boxed in like Freo oval 50yrs down the track. Alcock could turn a dollar on the land for the club.

So, I’ll put this hypothetical.

We’re in our next Grand Final and you can’t make Melbourne but you have the following options to watch the game.

a. Big Screen Cockburn
b. Big Screen Fremantle

What’s your choice?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’re in our next Grand Final and you can’t make Melbourne but you have the following options to watch the game.

a. Big Screen Cockburn
b. Big Screen Fremantle

What’s your choice?

What does this have to do with a training base?

a. Big Screen Cockburn
b. Big Screen Fremantle

What’s your choice?

What does this have to do with a training base?
Kapow!!! I think Geoff means where would your rather have the big screen at our base in Freo or Cockburn.

Kapow!!! I think Geoff means where would your rather have the big screen at our base in Freo or Cockburn.

Still not seeing the relevance to the argument. Most big screen functions are at nominated pubs and parks anyway. Feck, Brisbane's was at the Soutbank Piazza: a full 2kms from the Gabba or Coorparoo where they (used to) train.

It's a nothing point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back