Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

What constitutes a 1 on 1 contest and why is there such a varying figure for the stat between what we heard and what this article says?

The secrecy of champion data is a blight on the game. All these stats being given to us by the media but we have no way to verify them.

I don't know how this exact champion data stat is recorded, but keep in mind a lot of it is still done by blokes with binoculars.

I trust CD with their basic footy stats, but I don't give much merit to a lot of their more complex stats, especially when they don't tell us how they're measured.

Gary freakin Lyon actually put the kiss of death on Taz's All Australian chances, not long after this genius sprouted out Taz as his tip for All Australian when asked by Geraldo in an episode of On The Couch, his (previously good/excellent) form actually had a dramatic fall to bog average for a number weeks in a row.

Nick Dal Santo believes North Melbourne key defender Robbie Tarrant is among the most underappreciated in the competition.

The 30-year-old has consistently been one of the best performers of the last few years, but has consistently missed out on All-Australian selection.

Tarrant was drafted by the Roos in 2007, but wouldn’t find his feet until the 2015 season, dealing with injuries and struggling to lock down his best spot on the field.

From that point on, he has played at least 21 games every season and become one of the most consistent defenders in the AFL.

“I think he is one of the most underrated players in the competition. That is how good he is,” Dal Santo told SEN Breakfast.

“He is a superstar, a brilliant teammate, as reliable as the day is long and one hell of a good defender.

“It’s as simple as that. He’s strong, fast, competitive.

“He can take talls and smalls on an I love Robbie Tarrant for the player that he is now because he started as a forward.”

It’s a changing of the guard down back for the Roos following the retirement of Scott Thompson and Dal Santo isn’t sure if they’ve got a ready-made replacement.

“Outside of Tarrant, they have got some young players coming through and I think there’s other players that need to step up,” he said.

“Getting Majak (Daw) back would be great. We saw what he did a couple of years ago and the steps he took in terms of becoming that roll-off defender.

“From where Majak has come from, for him to be given the responsibility and the liberty of choosing when to go one on one and when to roll off and support in the air like the really good defenders do, it’s brilliant.

“I’m not quite sure (who fills Scott Thompson’s shoes). Sam Durdin is someone they’re trying to grow and he needs to physically get a bit bigger and probably a bit more consistent and stronger in his games week to week.

“There’s space there for someone to step up and fill that void.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a very commonly held view now.

Unfortunately, as soon as he was widely regarded as in the frame for AA last year (after Garry Lyon started talking about him) and the eyes of the football world were on him, he played his worst game for years in terms of being beaten by his opponent. His 2019 AA chance evaporated the day Josh Kennedy destroyed him (as a result of their midfield destroying ours).

Unfortunately, as soon as he was widely regarded as in the frame for AA last year (after Garry Lyon started talking about him) and the eyes of the football world were on him, he played his worst game for years in terms of being beaten by his opponent. His 2019 AA chance evaporated the day Josh Kennedy destroyed him (as a result of their midfield destroying ours).

The timing was terrible for Taz. It doesn’t apply to other defenders though.

I mean no disrespect to the great man, but he'd take Micky Martyin possie in the TOTC if they were picking it today.
Where’s Timmy with the blasphemy gif?
It’s hard to compare eras and Mick’s helicopter punts out of the backline wouldn’t cut it these days but he was ultra reliable, rarely beaten and more skilled than he’s given credit for. Also wasn’t Dench the fullback anyway?

Where’s Timmy with the blasphemy gif?
It’s hard to compare eras and Mick’s helicopter punts out of the backline wouldn’t cut it these days but he was ultra reliable, rarely beaten and more skilled than he’s given credit for. Also wasn’t Dench the fullback anyway?
Dench played in the 70s premierships, Micky during the 90s.

His 2016 was phenomenal. While the media were jerking off over us losing 10 of our last 12 to tumble down the ladder, they forgot to check Robbie had about two goals kicked on him in that stretch.

The underappreciaton of Cunnington is only matched by the compete lack of recognition for Tarrant.

The media just has way too much say these days and to think that flog Tim Gossich had the audacity to say that Tarrant had to lift in 2020.
Lift! Lift what exactly. I despise the media and the AFL media is as toxic and as inept as any other and is the only reason the term piece of s**t is still relevant today.

Same thing happened to Cunners. As soon as he started getting media attention he dropped off and his discipline decreased.

Could be a coincidence though but i get the feeling players like Taz enjoy flying under the radar

The underappreciaton of Cunnington is only matched by the compete lack of recognition for Tarrant.

The media just has way too much say these days and to think that flog Tim Gossich had the audacity to say that Tarrant had to lift in 2020.
Lift! Lift what exactly. I despise the media and the AFL media is as toxic and as inept as any other and is the only reason the term piece of s**t is still relevant today.

He said that? Surely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean no disrespect to the great man, but he'd take Micky Martyin possie in the TOTC if they were picking it today.

Ooh tough one. Tarrant much classier.

But Mick had to slug it out in an era where just about every team had at least 1-2 very capable strong key forwards and at least 3 of them would go down as AFL legends.

Robbie is a gun but let's see how he'd go taking Ablett, Modra, Lockett, Dunstall, Rocca, Lyon et al on constant rotation.

Not saying he'd fail but it'd be a tougher ask than the army of 199cm ex-basketballers getting around these days.

Wtf? When did he say that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back