Movie Best Acted Husband-Wife Arguments in Movies?

Remove this Banner Ad

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit of a different thread GG.exe

Some good blues been suggested but I reckon Everybody loves Raymond had the most true to life husband/wife fight scenes.
None of this life and death stuff just bickering, fueding and spiteful revenges over whos job it is to put a suitcase away or some other equally petty s**t.

That's true to life.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I watched 2003 comedy 'Just Married' for the first time in years the other day and thought Ashton Kutcher and the late Brittany Murphy did a good job in portraying a young very much in love couple who had the honeymoon from hell and argued constantly throughout.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
It's a bit of an obscure one and they were only minor characters in the film, but does anyone remember April's parents from the 2002 body swap comedy 'The Hot Chick'?

In the movie, loser criminal Clive (played by Rob Schneider) and high school mean girl Jessica (played by Rachel McAdams, pre Mean Girls) swap bodies and Jessica (in Clive's body) has to get her best friend April (played by Anna Faris) to assist her. April hides Jessica (Clive) at her house, and soon April's nervous and neurotic mother begins seeing and hearing things that appear out of place, fearing that her daughter may be a lesbian or transgender.

But her attempts to convince her husband that something is amiss with their teenage daughter and that odd things are going on in their house fall on deaf ears, the grouchy man only wanting to read his newspaper and watch the news on television after work. Eventually fed up with his wife's neurosis, he threatens to have her to committed to a mental institution.

Rettolalia

????
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Marriage Story with Driver and Scarlett.

Been there, lived that.

Driver absolutely nailed the desperation of a good man, chewed up and spat out by a gynocentric family court system.

Shame the movie diverted from how it would of gone in real life, where monkey branching, Scar Jo runs to her amoral, man hating pig of a lawyer, who then represented Driver’s behaviour as physical and emotional ‘abuse’.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Interested in seeing Marriage Story but I wiki'd it and it says Driver's character cheats, which would ruin my desire to see it, is that true?

Interested in seeing Marriage Story but I wiki'd it and it says Driver's character cheats, which would ruin my desire to see it, is that true?

yes, the couple hadn't had sex in a year and were all but separated

I'd find it difficult to empathise with then.

It's well acted and both of the partners are less than moral beacons, both my wife and I agreed that the movie makes you feel for one partner or the other during the movie whether that be because of the shitty behaviour of the other or their own shitty behaviour leaving the other feeling helpless. There is no right person in this movie and you can empathise with both cases throughout. I came out feeling that Adams character got the raw end of the deal but my wife might suggest the opposite merely due to gender bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's well acted and both of the partners are less than moral beacons, both my wife and I agreed that the movie makes you feel for one partner or the other during the movie whether that be because of the shitty behaviour of the other or their own shitty behaviour leaving the other feeling helpless. There is no right person in this movie and you can empathise with both cases throughout. I came out feeling that Adams character got the raw end of the deal but my wife might suggest the opposite merely due to gender bias.

Yeah I dunno, I would just struggle to feel for one since cheating to me is not something that can be excused.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
A history of violence.
The argument scene between Viggo Mortensen and his onscreen wife that "finishes" on the staircase is visceral af, pure Cronenberg.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
You should watch it edgie
I’m similar to you in that cheating is unforgivable but for the purposes of the storyline it works. I still empathised with Driver’s character more but neither is particularly likeable to me and I think that’s the point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back