Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Even more importantly, is it time to start thinking about Parker as an outside Brownlow smokey?

Not many players on our list are proven vote getters.

He would poll well in the wins

If we keep form yeah agree

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Parker is a Brownlow smokey.

I have Parker as a POD player in my SC midfield. He's owned by a tiny 2.4% of teams, but has averaged over the last 5 rounds 134.6 points.

I expect him to tear it up against a weak GCS.

B&F will come down to Parker or Rampe imo.

Would be his 3rd and he arguably should have won last year as well. Got rested in the last round which lost him votes.

On track after a slow start. Dawson must be lock for most improved.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
To everyone who keeps bringing up the same old "no good in big games" "should be traded" garbage :handpointup:

Parker plays a team role. There is a pecking order and Kennedy is at the top Parker is #2. Coincidence that when JPK is well held Parker lifts his game? I don't think so.

The perfect clubman and a great vice captain/future captain.

Found this post from a year ago. Spot on Cadsky.
We're lucky to gave him.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
He could definitely make a run at the Brownlow if this form and our overall form continues. He's putting together probably the best season of his career imo. His 2014 year was outstanding and his 2018 was also excellent but he's got far, far more responsibility this year and after a quiet first month he has been consistently in our best handful every single week.

He's now absolutely the consistently top echelon player that the media thought he was back in like 2015/16.
So to cut a long story short, you consistently wrote him off unfairly a few years ago, without taking into account any issues with his body which he carried into games. We all posted some interesting things on BF, but to get the boots into this bloke year after year, going by some of the posts througout this thread suggests we don't deserve such a player. I live Buddy but he comes at an enormous cost so I'll take Parker over Buddy every day of the week.

Bleeds for the club & his team mates, especially when he runs out carrying a significant injury when most players in the AFL wouldn't.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
So to cut a long story short, you consistently wrote him off unfairly a few years ago, without taking into account any issues with his body which he carried into games. We all posted some interesting things on BF, but to get the boots into this bloke year after year, going by some of the posts througout this thread suggests we don't deserve such a player. I live Buddy but he comes at an enormous cost so I'll take Parker over Buddy every day of the week.

Bleeds for the club & his team mates, especially when he runs out carrying a significant injury when most players in the AFL wouldn't.

Wrote him off is a little extreme, I remember being sick of him and thinking we should trade him for a brief period, but that was likely an overly emotional reaction.

I certainly criticised him for inconsistent play and going missing in big games in which we needed him between 2014 and 2016.

His consistency and play have improved significantly in the last few years and he has taken to captaincy like a duck to water, so I don't criticise him anymore, in fact I laud him.

Pretty simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Big call. Probably gaff ahead

lynch enhanced his standing last year too,but yeah parker in the discussion

gaff agree probably

mcgovern in the rookie draft