Opinion Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group Announced Post 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current leadership group is Docherty and Cripps as captains with Murphy, Ed and Simpson.

I would like a larger leadership group in 2020 because I think it would help with the transition. We have older players who are great leaders like Ed, Murphy, Simpson and Betts.

We also have a younger group of developing leader Walsh, Weitering, Stocker, JSOS and McKay.

I would make Cripps out right captain and Docherty as VC. Weitering to me is far more developedas a leader than the other I listed. Then I think we should 2 older leaders (Murphy and Ed) and two developing leaders (JSOS and Walsh).

Weitering is a year or so away from being included IMHO.

Ed Curnow is a no brainer for me, ditto Simmo, sentiment may cloud my judgment, but having Eddie Betts in the leadership could be a great thing, I strongly harbour hopes that SPS will be in the leadership group one day.

Possibly Marchbank too (if he stays healthy)

In 2-3 years time,we will add Walsh and Setterfield to our list, what I am delighted is that we have slowly but steadily built up a collection of young players that have future leadership potential (which I firmly believe Brendon Bolton helped shape and mould their leadership qualities and sense of individual ownership and accountability)

Bolts sadly will never get the credit he deserves for our rebuild and future success, but he deserves our warmest thanks for taking the path of the recent and great, Geelong, Hawthorn and now Richmond premiership teams that had true leaders all over in their best 22.

Couldn't ask for better captains than Cripps and Docherty either.

Having a team of future leaders at the club will make the job for Teague/The Coach easier as well

I am very excited about The type of culture and close knit and driven playing group we now have. The good times will be here again, and possibly sooner than we all think 👊👊👊

Damn, I forgot Liam Jones. He deserves to get in, from his remarkable football journey, from being near the footy scrapheap, to arguably our most consistent defender these days, with a courage and bravery that is soul stirring stuff. Someone the young lads on our list really should look up too

Simmo out, Weiters in, that's it.

Cripps
Doc
Murph
Curnow
Weiters

Too early for Walsh, kid will do the work anyway but doesn't need the extra external pressure.

Need the "leaders" to be mature and consistent performers. Plenty of other young blokes I loke for it...eventually...they just need to get their game settled before getting the nod.

Wouldn't be against a left field JSOS inclusion though. Leaving aside the olive branch stuff, he's super vocal, sets ridiculous standards for workrate, can play most positions, understands the game, doesn't get intimidated, and has a good number of senior games behind him. He may not be the perfect leader right now, but I think giving him some more responsibility could be a catalyst for something special.

These names speak for themselves. No need to complicate by looking at things in too many different angles.
These guys lead by example and are approachable. Picked mcgov as he’s the one that seems to be our go to player when we need to shift momentum. Very important player.
Cripps
Doc
Ed
Mcgov
Betts
Walsh

I don’t see much leadership in Gov tbh, and I think he needs to play his footy with as much freedom as possible.

Eddie has it in him but similarly should be football first imo.

1 or 2 years early for Sammy who should replace Ed once he retires.

I like your other names ofcourse. I think Weitering is the other certainty. Would be nice to have some forward half representation to round out a group of 5 but nothing screams out, yet...

Would like to see a single captain firstly with Cripps getting the nod over Doc purely as a victim of circumstance. Stiff but the dual captain scenario stinks in my opinion.

Doc as vice captain.

Ed Curnow as an old head.

Weitering looks to have come on as a leader on field and would like to see him progress into the leadership group.

My last pick would be Walsh. I think he screams leadership potential.

2020 Captains
Cripps
Doc
----
2020 VC
E. Curnow
---
2020 LG
J. Weitering
S. Walsh
L. Plowman

Ed for reasons already cited.
Jacob is ready to step up on and off field.
Sam is ready. He showed this year that age Is just a number. Our future captain should start getting involved as soon as possible, assuming he wants to (which I wouldn't doubt).
Lachie deserves his spot back after another great year. Is vocal, positive and consistent.

Happy NY.

Cripps & Doc (C)
Ed & Jones (VC)
Jack
Martin

Edit: Have to say we've really improved in this area, was once slim pickings but any of the following players wouldn't look out of place:

Experienced (short term): Murph, Simpson, Betts

Give their all: Ed, Jones, Kreuz, Casboult, Newnes

Emerging leaders: Jack, Weitering, Plowman, McGovern

Strong chance to develop into leaders: SPS, Setterfield, Williamson, Stocker, O'Brien

Future Captain: Walsh

Last edited:
Can anyone let me know whats likely to happen with the leadership group this year ? Any potential changes on the cards ? Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone let me know whats likely to happen with the leadership group this year ? Any potential changes on the cards ? Cheers.

The answer you're looking for is "Probably".

New coach, team list that is maturing, there's a very good chance there will be changes.

Odds are we'll hear about them from one of our connected posters a few hours before the official news drops. Last season we made the announcement pre-Christmas, the season before it was late January - so as far as the actual timing goes...who knows. Doubt we'll be waiting more than a fortnight to find out though.

I would be more surprised if the plow wasn't in the leadership group than if he was.

I dunno - added 2018, dropped 2019...added again 2020? New coach, so could certainly happen, but I feel like Plow might miss the cut. Would definitely expect Weiters ahead of him, and having the bulk of the LG in the backline might be detrimental (Doc, Weiters, Plow, Simmo(?)). Especially given we have a number of strong candidates.

Cripps, Docherty, E. Curnow, Weitering.

Gets very difficult after this. J Silvagni a consideration, Casboult too, but in an ideal world you'd want your leaders to be absolute weekly best 22 locks. McGovern, perhaps.

Murphy probably stays on for another year until somebody else emerges.

Weitering is a year or so away from being included IMHO.

Ed Curnow is a no brainer for me, ditto Simmo, sentiment may cloud my judgment, but having Eddie Betts in the leadership could be a great thing, I strongly harbour hopes that SPS will be in the leadership group one day.

Possibly Marchbank too (if he stays healthy)

In 2-3 years time,we will add Walsh and Setterfield to our list, what I am delighted is that we have slowly but steadily built up a collection of young players that have future leadership potential (which I firmly believe Brendon Bolton helped shape and mould their leadership qualities and sense of individual ownership and accountability)

Bolts sadly will never get the credit he deserves for our rebuild and future success, but he deserves our warmest thanks for taking the path of the recent and great, Geelong, Hawthorn and now Richmond premiership teams that had true leaders all over in their best 22.

Couldn't ask for better captains than Cripps and Docherty either.

Having a team of future leaders at the club will make the job for Teague/The Coach easier as well

I am very excited about The type of culture and close knit and driven playing group we now have. The good times will be here again, and possibly sooner than we all think 👊👊👊
Great post and spot on Elmer I sincerely hope that Bolts isn’t over looked when the good times do come about, as you said he had a huge part in restoring and rebuilding our culture to the great place we are at now and when you consider just how bad and for how long our culture was in the toilet it was no small feat to build it up the way he did, we really do owe him our sincere thanks for helping to put us on the right track.

Great post and spot on Elmer I sincerely hope that Bolts isn’t over looked when the good times do come about, as you said he had a huge part in restoring and rebuilding our culture to the great place we are at now and when you consider just how bad and for how long our culture was in the toilet it was no small feat to build it up the way he did, we really do owe him our sincere thanks for helping to put us on the right track.
Yes. Bolts was hired in part because he could teach.. As a teacher myself I know it takes time for students lightbulbs to flash. I reckon his teaching will be bearing fruit for years. We were lucky to have him when we did. The rewards will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back