A-League to be played at Whitten Oval - 26 January

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Western United, a new side in the A-league who have played games in Ballarat and play predominately at Kardinia Park are playing at Whitten Oval on 26 January.

It is hoped the smaller size of the ground improves the atmosphere.

Bains commented on it as well:

Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said the club was excited to showcase the Whitten Oval to a new fanbase.
"We were pleased to work with Western United to make this game happen on Australia Day, and we look forward to helping them to ensure the event is a success," Bains said.

Personally I hope it goes well and they try play more games there. Would be a nice extra source of income for the club.

I was honestly thinking to myself if we should partner with Western United (as a fellow western team) in the way northern states footy team and a NRL team up. You could introduce soccer fans more to a AFL club type of thing. Could be tickets/limited game access and some merch.

But obviously getting multiple games held at WO would have a positive impact on the uses of our ground, some revenue and future funding persuasion.

Their stadium in Tarneit looks years away (if it gets up at all). Hopefully this game and the prospect of others will support the case for state government investment in the Whitten Oval.
The issue is they need to develop and sell the land surrounding the stadium for housing to be able to pay for the stadium, not that they couldn't build it in a short amount of time.

The issue is they need to develop and sell the land surrounding the stadium for housing to be able to pay for the stadium, not that they couldn't build it in a short amount of time.

Yep, finance is the major issue - Wyndham Council must be gifting them a huge parcel of land to commercially develop to make their $150m stadium plans viable.

Yep, finance is the major issue - Wyndham Council must be gifting them a huge parcel of land to commercially develop to make their $150m stadium plans viable.
They are - essentially donated $100 million worth of land, which is mighty nice of them, given that if they had sold it at arms length to a developer, they would have wiped their entire historical debt with plenty left over to invest in their community (and be a few million better off every year via reduced interest payments).

I'm sure their ratepayers are rapt to gift that to a for-profit private enterprise, and then have community clubs need to pay to use the facilities once (if) they're built.

The person who organised the whole thing is on the board of the council and the board of the winning bidder.

So many aspects of this stink to high heaven, but if they're paying $50k-$100k per game to rent out WO, happy for us to milk it for all it's worth as long as it doesn't impact our pre-season or AFLW team.

Football is never optimal on ovals but this seems a logical idea from the club and could work well but I’m not sure how many people United are getting home games and I’d assume a vast majority of those that do go would be foundation members that wouldn’t pay to get in

can anyone clarify?

Last edited:
They are - essentially donated $100 million worth of land, which is mighty nice of them, given that if they had sold it at arms length to a developer, they would have wiped their entire historical debt with plenty left over to invest in their community (and be a few million better off every year via reduced interest payments).

I'm sure their ratepayers are rapt to gift that to a for-profit private enterprise, and then have community clubs need to pay to use the facilities once (if) they're built.

The person who organised the whole thing is on the board of the council and the board of the winning bidder.

So many aspects of this stink to high heaven, but if they're paying $50k-$100k per game to rent out WO, happy for us to milk it for all it's worth as long as it doesn't impact our pre-season or AFLW team.

There would be zero chance of me taking my family out to that area to attend a night game on any day of the week.

Inside the game wouldn’t be an issue but getting out and to your car or home would be a concern for me.

Football is never optimal on ovals but this seems a logical idea from the club and could work well but I’m not sure how many people United are getting home games and I’d assume a vast majority of those that do go toils very foundation members that wouldn’t pay to get in

can anyone clarify?

The figures are slightly askew, but it can be worked out. Not big numbers by any stretch. They have 4,600 members but it could be hoped that a more centrally located stadium with a better atmosphere due to its more manageable size might encourage more attendance. We shall see.
ClubTotalAverageHighest AttendanceLowest Attendance
Western United43,5756,22510,128 - Rnd 9 vs MVC4,187 - Rnd 8 vs SYD

Their stadium in Tarneit looks years away (if it gets up at all). Hopefully this game and the prospect of others will support the case for state government investment in the Whitten Oval.

Always had doubts this stadium would ever get built. If not, I struggle to see this club survive long term without a home given their dismal crowds this season. I think Whitten would be their only chance without Tarneit with the "western" name having something in common with the Bulldogs.

Always had doubts this stadium would ever get built. If not, I struggle to see this club survive long term without a home given their dismal crowds this season. I think Whitten would be their only chance without Tarneit with the "western" name having something in common with the Bulldogs.
Hey it worked for the Melbourne Monarchs...

I've been to two A league games in my life, I'm tempted to make it a third if I don't go away camping that weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upon hearing that news I just wanted to start singing Three Lions for some reason....

In all seriousness I doubt playing at the Kennel particularly with the AFLW season starting earlier and earlier would be the most viable thing for a club who were admitted by an administration seduced by a new world game specific stadium. Sydney FC had the same problem eventually settling on Kogarah although that will be used almost weekly this year with Cronulla's NRL ground being redeveloped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back