Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

interesting development, British Iranian Ambassador arrested for being at anti gov protests.. :think:

there’s no such thing as grass roots movements when it comes to these things.
There is a lot happening internally within Iran, with several anti and pro government factions going at it on the streets. In saying that, it’s difficult to fully know what’s going on in Iran, as the government controls most sources of information.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is a lot happening internally within Iran, with several anti and pro government factions going at it on the streets. In saying that, it’s difficult to fully know what’s going on in Iran, as the government controls most sources of information.

I guess the question I’m asking is are the demonstrations going to plan or just opportunistic?

cos trumps war mongering with a new round of sanctions points me to believe this is a well oiled machine.

interesting development, British Iranian Ambassador arrested for being at anti gov protests.. :think:

there’s no such thing as grass roots movements when it comes to these things.

It was in Egypt.

But I hear you. Colour revolutions are sus.

It was in Egypt.

I had the exact same thoughts, but regime change is very complicated and has a lot of muddled internal and external dynamics. Look at how many different factions there are in Syria, it is mind-blowing. It can be quite confusing sometimes as to who is allied to who, what are their ideological principles, who is supplied/backed by external parties, who is fighting who, are they sectarian or religious based, do they recruit along ethnic lines, etc.

It is not as simple as the USA playing god with other countries, but they do often take advantage of situations, as a hegemony does in a realist framework and throughout history.

Divide and conquer is a time honoured, albeit slightly exaggerated, international tool.

Last edited:
I guess the question I’m asking is are the demonstrations going to plan or just opportunistic?

cos trumps war mongering with a new round of sanctions points me to believe this is a well oiled machine.
1,500 Iranian protestors died in November 2019 over fuel, sanctions and other grievances. You’ve got to remember, at the end of the day, this is an autocratic theocracy, so some yearning for political change and freedoms shouldn’t be unexpected. Most of the protesters are uni students, so it doesn’t take much for them to challenge the status quo.

There is a Baloch nationalist group, but I think I’ve talked about them with JDG when I last spoke about Iran a few months back. They are not majorly relevant to these new protests.

I would love to visit Iran one day, a lot of history.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1,500 Iranian protestors died in November 2019 over fuel, sanctions and other grievances. You’ve got to remember, at the end of the day, this is an autocratic theocracy, so some yearning for political change and freedoms shouldn’t be unexpected. Most of the protesters are mostly uni students, so it doesn’t take much for them to challenge the status quo.

There is a Baloch nationalist groups, but I think I’ve talked about them with JDG when I last spoke about Iran a few months back. They are not relevant to these new protests.

I would love to visit Iran one day, a lot of history.

Most protest movements are started by students tbf

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was in Egypt.

I had the exact same thoughts, but regime change is very complicated and has a lot of muddled internal and external dynamics. Look at how many different factions there are in Syria is mind-blowing. It can be quite confusing sometimes as to who is allied to who, what are their ideological principles, who is supplied/backed by external parties, who is fighting who, are they sectarian or religious based, do they recruit along ethnic lines, etc.

It is not as simple as the USA playing god with other countries, but they do often take advantage of situations, as a hegemony does in a realist framework and throughout history.

Divide and conquer is a time honoured, albeit slightly exaggerated, international tool.
The way the Iraqis, Iranians, Lebanese and others are rising up looks like Arab spring 2.0... and that was a well oiled machine directed from the state department by Jared Cohen, It was a coordinated effort by Twitter, Google, Facebook. That kicked off in 2006.
So Don’t get me wrong I think this has been 30 years in the planning, recent events mean it probably moved up in the timeline.

im just interesting how these things get started.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1578920020044.png

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The short word for transvestite. Didn’t realise it would be censored. Not much difference between ****** and trans 🤷🏻‍♂️
It was one of the first words ever auto- corrected on Big Footy. Talking early 2010s here. Turns out Chief's wokeness was ahead of its time.

I only cottoned on when one of our posters was talking about not having Foxtel for an interstate gsme and said something like

"It's ok, I'm old fashioned, I'll just head out to the shed with my trans woman"

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
It was one of the first words ever auto- corrected on Big Footy. Talking early 2010s here. Turns out Chief's wokeness was ahead of its time.

I only cottoned on when one of our posters was talking about not having Foxtel for an interstate gsme and said something like

"It's ok, I'm old fashioned, I'll just head out to the shed with my trans woman"

Thinking that was my good self wanting to listen to MMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back