Goulburn Valley FL 2020

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes I agree mate. At this point it looks like United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield and probably Shepparton are bottom five. Not sure how strong Tatura will be either.

Maybe more announcements regarding recruits to come from these sides but it seems late.

For mine it is Kyabram well ahead, followed by Echuca and Euroa (if their recruits actually play a significant part) then Benalla, Rochy and Seymour who cannot challenge Kyabram. Then it drops off even further.
Have to agree with that 100 mate.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mansfield for mine at this point lost some quality from a side that was only fair in 2019. Doesn't look like Mooroopna have done much recruiting wise which is a bit dissapointing but they won 4 games last year and Lamont should be able to atleast get them to that point again which would have them above a Spoon.
Is Smith Mooroopna's only recruit at this point Doc?

SUPASTARR

All Australian
Nov 2, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Orlando
I see Brad Gleeson has put in his 2nd clearance application to the KDFL after being denied 1st time. Assuming their influence won't include Brad?

James Ivill also out of Euroa. Excuse my ignorance, but was he one of their key backs? If so, I rated him on the couple of occasions I have watched Euroa over the past few years.

Matty Ivill is the key back you're thinking of. James his younger brother. Matt heading to the Wang Rovers I think.

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Isn’t it important for teams that are down the bottom to have their recruits to be playing every week. ?
If you could a VFL standard player for 6 to 12 games and maybe including finals wouldn't you grab him? Most Club's struggle to recruit I think they would be snapping them up.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep you would imagine with the points system in place teams can slot them in during the year and if they quit vfl next year, they get them full time for a point less the next season

If you could a VFL standard player for 6 to 12 games and maybe including finals wouldn't you grab him? Most Club's struggle to recruit I think they would be snapping them up.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep you would imagine with the points system in place teams can slot them in during the year and if they quit vfl next year, they get them full time for a point less the next season

yes agree. Most often the player will know a few at the club as that’s the reason they sign there. Then if the club is smart and treat them well there is a possibility of them going there once they stop vfl. Also a good chance for the club to see how they go at local level. Do they give you 💯?

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Matty Ivill is the key back you're thinking of. James his younger brother. Matt heading to the Wang Rovers I think.
Good to hear from you SUPASTARR!

What else is happening down at Memorial Park mate? Euroa seem to have been active in their recruiting. You reckon Gleeson will stay? Cheers

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

12 yes
6 very debatable

I get about working down points but I also see the culture that it brings when guys just “rock up” for the odd game.

If you have a VFL player or two playing 12 or so games. They are part of the team for the finals.

Only getting 6 games from your top end. You probably want play finals

* completely different if it’s a local kid having a crack at a higher level.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's the brother, Josh.
Nick has been playing in the VFL with Williamstown, Richmond and Coburg.
There are two Nick Mellington's Jet. None of us are certain if it is the Gigaree Nick Mellington, or the former Benalla teammate of Lachie Smith, and current VFL player Nick Mellington.

Either is quite plausible. The rest of the league would prefer the Gigaree Nick.
But, Kyabram have plenty of points to recruit the VFL version.

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
There are two Nick Mellington's Jet. None of us are certain if it is the Gigaree Nick Mellington, or the former Benalla teammate of Lachie Smith, and current VFL player Nick Mellington.

Either is quite plausible. The rest of the league would prefer the Gigaree Nick.
Definitely not the Girgarre Nick gents, coming back from back to back ACLs I believe.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat

I had been told that the Williamstown player was likely heading back to the GV so I assumed that it's him - I'm happy to be corrected (again) though ha!:cool:

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I had been told that the Williamstown player was likely heading back to the GV so I assumed that it's him - I'm happy to be corrected (again) though ha!:cool:
Sounds like you and ringo are correct Jet.

Unless he heads back to Benalla with Martinello. Great to see a player of his quality back in the league.

Not that Kyabram are struggling ...😊

May 25, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I see Brad Gleeson has put in his 2nd clearance application to the KDFL after being denied 1st time. Assuming their influence won't include Brad?

James Ivill also out of Euroa. Excuse my ignorance, but was he one of their key backs? If so, I rated him on the couple of occasions I have watched Euroa over the past few years.
Key back would be Matt, James fringe wingman

Back