Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interrupted the first 3 years but the last 2 injury free

Cool but it doesn't change the fact that he's in his 6th season and missed 3 of them.

Hope he has a good career but you're over-hyping him significantly.

Lol 2 of those blokes haven’t even played

May as well add north’s 2 first rounders next year also

Ahern has played 7 games and 11 games in two years at North and you're treating him like some sort of established star.

Yeah, still just 25yo.

Kicked 44 goals (from just 17 games) at 22yo, and matched that total again this year (playing genuine key position, with Bruce the only genuine "tall" up there with him), for a top 10 finish in the Coleman.

Not bad for a "role player", in a below-average team, as someone described him earlier!

He's a damn good "role player", x3 time leading goalkicker at 25 after being discarded by the Swans, one of the best delisted free agent pickups there's been

Brisbane weren’t contending when Neale signed on, same with Prestia at Richmond. Players read the tea leaves and make decisions on all sorts of factors, but potential is still a major driver.

If Carlton start making the finals, or even get up to 9th-10th, high caliber players will look to join on. Being a big club, and having the opportunity to play in front of big crowds is another huge pull factor.

We already had Papley request to join last year. It’s only a matter of time before other quality players want in.

3yp0.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a damn good "role player", x3 time leading goalkicker at 25 after being discarded by the Swans, one of the best delisted free agent pickups there's been
To be fair, he wasn't discarded by Sydney. The pick StKilda offered for him was of no use to Sydney so Saints were going to take him pick 1 in the preseason draft. But Sydney agreed to delist him so he could begin preseason training immediately rather than waiting for the draft to happen.

Just to break up the constant North Melbourne hate I thought I would introduce a totally irrelevant list of
teams representation in my top 50 players. Now I am no Sheahan or Robinson, thankfully, but this does
make a subtle reference to top end talent. Everyone knows that age demographic, continuity, cohesion
and growth of young talent, leadership and variety play a huge role in list, but you must have top end
talent as well.

West Coast: 6
GWS Giants: 5
Brisbane: 5
Richmond: 4
Collingwood: 4
Sydney: 4
Western Bulldogs: 3
Adelaide: 3

Hawthorn: 2
Geelong: 2
Fremantle: 2
Melbourne: 2
North Melbourne: 2
St Kilda: 2
Port Adelaide: 1
Essendon: 1
Gold Coast: 1
Carlton: 1

Yeah, still just 25yo.

Kicked 44 goals (from just 17 games) at 22yo, and matched that total again this year (playing genuine key position, with Bruce the only genuine "tall" up there with him), for a top 10 finish in the Coleman.

Not bad for a "role player", in a below-average team, as someone described him earlier!

Agreed.

In a strong team that plays a few finals games he's 50+ goal kicker and getting the accolades he would deserve

Pls do list your 1 to 3 year players to compare
This is not about our list. I am pretty happy with where our list is at and am content that we can build a strong list around our 25 and under players for the next 10 years. The post is about your list and your players and the simple fact is several of the players you named are just not good footballers and never will be.

This is not about our list. I am pretty happy with where our list is at and am content that we can build a strong list around our 25 and under players for the next 10 years. The post is about your list and your players and the simple fact is several of the players you named are just not good footballers and never will be.
In other words our 1 to 4 year players are better than yours

Typical West coast response and I am not suprised.

Freo should of made finals in 2019 if it wasnt for injuries to Key postion players and losing those naroow games.

Backline is solid. Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling are good KPDs. Ryan, wilson and Hughes are solid small defenders.

Midfield is poor but far from the worst in the comp. Sean Darcy is a gun ruckman at 22. His development came at the perfect time to replace Sandilands.

Fyfe has to carry the midfield for the next 3-4 years, Which I dont think is a bad thing. Also, look at the solid mids we got in the 2017 draft: Brayshaw, Banfield, Cerra, Crowden and Giro. 5 mids what will be in their 3rd season in 2020. that means by 2022, those 5 mids will be in their 5th year. and aged around 23-25 years old. that means Fyfe will be 30 or 31.

Forward line is far from the worst in the AFL. Walters, Matera and Switkowski are small forwards. Freos Key forward stocks are Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy, Tarberner, cox and Dixon.

Freo has done their rebuild correctly, the 1st year brought in a Few Key Position players in the 2016 draft. in the 2nd year was in the 2017 draft, Freo got a lot of mids.

No Doubt freo got a bunch of 8-12 solid players in the 2016 and 2017 years.
You finished 3 games outside of the 8. Every club loses a few close ones and deal with injuries. You finished where you deserved to finish

I do rate your backline, especially Pearce and Ryan. No problems there going forward

your midfield stinks though and Darcy isn’t a gun ruckman - yet. Fyfe carrying the midfield on his own wasting his prime years isn’t a good thing. Going forward I do like Brayshaw, but Cerra has shown little and you’re relying on Banfield, Crowden and Giro who have shown nothing to drastically improve.

you say your midfield is far from worst in the league, can you name 3 clubs with poorer midfields?

your forwardline is average and heavily reliant on hogan getting back to full fitness.

basically Freo are struggling to make finals in the short term and relying on kids who’ve shown little to nothing so far to get them there by the time Fyfe and Walters are nearly ready to hang up the boots

Back