Opinion Footy was better with Channel 10's 5 minute warning

Was footy better with the 5 minute warning?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

'Iconic' isn't a term that can only be attached to one thing at a time.

'Who would've thought the sequel could be just as good as the original?' lives long in our hearts down West Coast way.
Fair enough Tens commentary was just better in every way

Just on the commentary, one of my favourite calls was Dennis Cometti's 2012 "Is that the Grand Final? Sydney are premiers!" and I doubt it comes out like that if there's no countdown clock. Just the stamp of it all to go with Malceski's celebration made it pure adrenaline.

Sure, no countdown clock gives you one context of excitement in having the unknown. But generally, you have an idea that the siren is likely to go pretty soon. The countdown clock gives you a different context of excitement. An example being West Coast beating Port in 2018... under a minute and the Eagles still needed 2 goals to win. Countdown clock meant a lot of us thought the game was done, but they get a goal with 3/4s of a minute left and then get a mark right before the siren for an after the siren shot at goal. The countdown clock actually added a different contextual excitement of pulling a win out of an almost probable loss. No countdown clock means that sniff of hope continues, even though you know not much time is left, there could be another minute and a half to score a goal.

Countdown clock doesn't detract or add in a specific volume of excitement. It's all contextual and comes down to personal preference. Ideally, we'd have coverage that offered both options and an option to watch with no commentary (or even different commentary to the different clocks) and everyone gets their preferred way of viewing the game. But highly unlikely that happens until all games are exclusively streaming, and even then, will the rights holder be innovative enough to provide these options? I doubt it.

So you guys have the gaffer tape and sound down workaround in the meantime. :)

I remember my Apple Watch asking if I needed emergency services when Shuey was lining up in the 2017 EF because my heart rate was so high

Meanwhile, Jared Polec's Apple Watch was asking him if it should inject a sympathetic dose of cyanide to make it all go away.

Ten had a panel of great commentators and you managed to choose the two worst ones 😉

I totally forgot they had Commetti lol

Was quite some time ago, but my memory is burnt by my old man going on and on about how much he couldn't listen to Robert Walls and muting them for the radio

If you want suspense for players, coaches, commentaries and fans alike, how about this:

Two sirens at the end of the game

The first one indicates normal time (say 17mins or so) is up, and heralds the start of the "random time on period". This is a randomly selected number of seconds between say 120 and 300. Only the timekeepers know it.

Then it would be quite mental that final period, and body exciting.

The coaches could have a button and if they both push it within 20 seconds of the first siren, it's game over. This way we can pull the pin on s**t games.

It's not really a serious idea, so apologies to all the pedants and OCD folk of you got a bit worked up reading that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. The noughties were a mini golden era of footy broadcasting.

The boring old farts like Robbo, Don Scott and McKenna were expunged from the commentary box, there was Before the Game and Saturday Specials; and best of all there was the Five Minute Warning.

This sport has never had a golden era of broadcasting. Thread is full of people who turned 18 in the Channel 10 years mixing their memories with nostalgia.

This sport has never had a golden era of broadcasting. Thread is full of people who turned 18 in the Channel 10 years mixing their memories with nostalgia.
Except it’s not something that you can’t experience. If you go to the game live you know almost exactly what the 5min warning is like - and it seems pretty clear a lot of people like it.

Footy was better with Channel 10's 5 minute warning

False.

Stephen+Quartermain+AFL+Rd+2+Saints+v+Kangaroos+p8KPU8i-Ohsl.jpg

tim-lane-TimLane-259x259.jpg

DS2h2GsVQAARNmX.jpg

I'll take the irritating blokey banter of BT, Darce, Lingy, Richo and Duck any day over the weekly Channel 10 muppetry we were subjected to.

Carlton games in particular were a nightmare on TEN with the unrelenting biased tripe from Lane, Walls and Maher

... and I still have that f**kin "Holy Grail" guitar riff bouncing around in my skull after hearing it 23 million times while TEN had the broadcast rights. FMD. It wasn't good in the 70's and 80's when Boston's 'More Than A Feeling' was played to death and it wasn't any better when the Hunters & Collectors did their rip-off version in the 90's.

Last edited:
Countdown clock vs 5 minute warning???

Meh... The genie is out of the bottle. The horse has bolted. People wanna know how long is left. In this case, I disagree with the saying "ignorance is bliss". Like NBA basketball, our game is better knowing exactly how long is left. The players all know there's a minute to go, so why the hell would anyone watching want to deny themselves this same knowledge?

Close games are far more dramatic when there's a kick in it and you're keeping one eye on the final 2 minutes ticking down. I'm often on my feet and pacing around my living room (even as a neutral!) Every kick, every tackle, every fumble, every mental error, every turnover and every clock stoppage becomes hugely important, whereas under the old way when viewers were kept in suspense, too much mental energy was wasted on wondering "How long is there to go?" and screaming variations of Ted Whitten's "Hit the boundary!"

The OP places too much importance on the suspense of the final siren blast.

IMO, the real excitement comes from watching the game be decided in the final minutes & seconds. It doesn't worry me if the defending team clears the ball away from goal and you know it's "game over" with a few seconds left. You don't get the short sharp burst of excitement that you'd get from the siren going, but you still had your heart in your mouth for the previous minute.

If anything, footy fans are more likely to find religion and pray to God for a miracle when they know there is 15 seconds remaining with a boundary throw-in on the wing. Without the visible countdown clock, people are more likely to be fatalistic and think the trailing team has no hope. They'll spend the last minute of the game thinking she's all over. Whereas in reality, it's still anyone's game.

Last edited:
Channel 10 were miles ahead of the rubbish 7 dish up today. 10 were actually professional and respected the intelligence of the viewer, allowing the game be the spectacle. Great pieces of commentary come from expert commentators who can read the situation, 10 had that in spades...7 not even close.

Love the 5 minute warning.

That's because you are wrong.

Wrong about what? Hes stating a preference.

I wasnt fussed either way since i find suspense in both formats. But after reading this thread i actually believe the countdown clock is a better option. The game time is finite and should be displayed that way. Teams and players and fans should have access to such a critical information such as time left in a game at all times, it's a professional league after all.

I often read criticism of other leagues especially american ones and how gimmicky they are but the 5 minute warning is the very definition of a gimmick.

Count up was a million times better. Used to love it when Quarters or Christian would be yelling "there must only be seconds remaining"

Everything about tens coverage was better

Been wondering this for awhile, but in your avatar, it looks like Pritchard streaming away with the ball, who is the other Hawk taking out the Melbourne player?

I loved it.

I dont know how tv ratings work but I Wouldve thought a 5 min warning would make people who think "ah game over" and change the channel keep watching longer.

The game is revolved around tv dont forget.

Ch7 will just go the other way and have Manou or Koshie read a script... "Hey guys watch MKR this Sunday night and by the way 20 mins... 15 mins... 10 mins to gooooo!!!"

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back