Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm, the Eagles.

2nd best team in my book in 2019 - until finals.

Kelly makes a very strong team stronger.

Probably my premiership favourite right now. Hope I'm wrong and it's Tigers 3 out of 4.
Second best team of 2019? Didn’t they finish sixth? :drunk:

They had one of the best injury runs of all top eight teams and still couldn’t finish top four. They were then shown up in finals. They gain Kelly, but lose Rioli plus Hurn and Kennedy look on their last legs.

5th to 8th for mine.

They had one of the best injury runs of all top eight teams and still couldn’t finish top four. They were then shown up in finals. They gain Kelly, but lose Rioli plus Hurn and Kennedy look on their last legs.

5th to 8th for mine.

Hurn looks on his last legs? wtf? He just got AA and played 21 games.

You just throwing darts at the dart board or what?

WC have a deep forward line, they can cover Rioli.

Bringing in Kelly makes WC's midfield the best in the game.

Last edited:
Another factor to consider is history.

When has GWS had a *good* injury run?

If every year is bad, then either they have injury prone players, a poor medical team, or maybe it's just being overhyped....whichever the case, it suggests that next year (and the year after, and..) will also be considered less than stellar.

Luck might explain a bad year or two, but the longer it goes, the more is suggests something else is at play.

Not suggesting it's a sure thing that would happen (and DEFINITELY not wishing injury on anyone), but it might pay to look at the 'why', and ask if that's been changed significantly.

If the injury run is bad every year (or perceived as bad) cough...magpies...cough, then it’s really just their average injury run and thus no cause to complain

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

5th to 8th for mine.

The Eagles were up and down but towards the end of the H&A they were very good. So IMHO they were 2nd best in terms of ability. But they lost the plot at seasons end, when it mattered.

Agree to disagree. I hope they aren't as good as I think they might be.

Hurn looks on his last legs? wtf? He just got AA.

Our forward line is stacked, we can cover Rioli.
He definitely tapered towards the latter stage of the season. I suspect he will slow down a lot more this year as well given that he’s turning 33.

Your forward line is stacked? What lol. You’ve got one elite player in your forward line and that’s Darling. Kennedy is struggling big time and it was sad watching him fall off a cliff this year. Has been a great player along the journey. Rioli was your other elite forward but he’s gone now.

He definitely tapered towards the latter stage of the season. I suspect he will slow down a lot more this year as well given that he’s turning 33.

Your forward line is stacked? What lol. You’ve got one elite player in your forward line and that’s Darling. Kennedy is struggling big time and it was sad watching him fall off a cliff this year. Has been a great player along the journey. Rioli was your other elite forward but he’s gone now.

Stop trying to argue something you know nothing about, mate. Thats already become clear.

Ryan kicked and averaged more goals than Rioli (forgot him did ya?) For an aging player Kennedy kicked 49 goals. Darlo is a gun. Cripps is averaging 40 goals a year. Allen kicked 20 goals in 20 games in his first year. Cameron had a fantastic first year in front of the sticks. Waterman couldn't crack the 22 and is a very handy forward.

WC's forward line depth is well known, but clearly not to you.

The Eagles were up and down but towards the end of the H&A they were very good. So IMHO they were 2nd best in terms of ability. But they lost the plot at seasons end, when it mattered.

Agree to disagree. I hope they aren't as good as I think they might be.
They lost three out of their last four games? What results of theirs impressed you towards the end of the season?

They’re a good ordinary side IMO.

Stop trying to argue something you know nothing about, mate. Thats already become clear.

Ryan kicked and averaged more goals than Rioli (forgot him did ya?) For an aging player Kennedy kicked 49 goals. Darlo is a gun. Cripps is averaging 40 goals a year. Allen kicked 20 goals in 20 games in his first year. Cameron had a fantastic first year in front of the sticks.

Wrong. Rioli averaged more goals than Ryan. He also averaged more disposals, marks, tackles, goal assists, score involvements and tackles inside fifty. He basically dwarfed Ryan is just about every key metric as a small forward.

Cripps is not averaging forty goals a year either lol. He has not kicked over forty goals in his career once. It was also Oscar Allen’s second year, not his first. 20 goals is also f*** all for a forward.

What a fail.

The energy and effort it takes to play Richmonds brand of football will overtake them this year. They will run out of legs as they are older and flushed with a G.F win. Back to the pack this year, even with their easy fixture, probably 5-6th at the end of the season.
Thought this was a thread bumped from 2017 or 18 when I read this

Thought this was a thread bumped from 2017 or 18 when I read this
It’s a silly post. We have youth that are incredibly hungry and talented who are ready to come in should any senior player get complacent. Our kids won the VFL flag and will be hungry to land an AFL one. The difference between us and the rest of our competitors is that we are stacked with talent all the way down to about our 35th player. Most other teams drop off significantly at about 25. We have hungry kids who will keep our seniors on our toes throughout the whole year. The last thing that we will lose is our hunger.

Our list is also in better shape now than what it was in 2017 and 2018. It’s scary to think that guys like Ross, Stack, Collier-Dawkins, Balta, Coleman-Jones, Higgins, Naish, etc. are all slowly emerging and will provide our team with plenty of upside.

We are perfectly positioned for sustained success.

It’s a silly post. We have youth that are incredibly hungry and talented who are ready to come in should any senior player get complacent. Our kids won the VFL flag and will be hungry to land an AFL one. The difference between us and the rest of our competitors is that we are stacked with talent all the way down to about our 35th player. Most other teams drop off significantly at about 25. We have hungry kids who will keep our seniors on our toes throughout the whole year. The last thing that we will lose is our hunger.

Our list is also in better shape now than what it was in 2017 and 2018. It’s scary to think that guys like Ross, Stack, Collier-Dawkins, Balta, Coleman-Jones, Higgins, Naish, etc. are all slowly emerging and will provide our team with plenty of upside.

We are perfectly positioned for sustained success.
4 of them will be good, need a few more!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong. Rioli averaged more goals than Ryan. He also averaged more disposals, marks, tackles, goal assists, score involvements and tackles inside fifty. He basically dwarfed Ryan is just about every key metric as a small forward.

Cripps is not averaging forty goals a year either lol. He has not kicked over forty goals in his career once. It was also Oscar Allen’s second year, not his first. 20 goals is also f*** all for a forward.

What a fail.
After a couple of injuries hurn's form did decline, but to suggest that means he is finished despite still being awarded AA is ridiculous. He's been very durable most of his career and given his form pre injury last year I'd back him in to at the very least still make a more than solid contribution in the backline, not to mention his leadership and tactical knowledge aren't going anywhere. Kennedy hadn't had a preseason for 3 years and is getting older, so it's no surprise his form declined last year yet he still managed to kick 50 goals. He's having his first uninterrupted preseason since 2016 and by all accounts appears to be fit and firing once again, so I wouldn't hold your breath on him supposedly "falling off a cliff". I'd expect at least another 50 goals from him this year, and if he can stay fit there's no reason he couldn't challenge for the coleman once again.

True losing Rioli is a massive loss but our forward line bats deep and Jarrod Cameron showed a lot of promise in his first season and will only get more opportunities next year in Rioli's absence. He averaged 1.6 goals a game and is still a teenager, with a bigger tank and a bit more experience there's no reason he can't go a long way to covering Rioli, not to mention Ryan's natural development as well. We have one of the most balanced forward lines in the competition, the most accurate forward line and one of the most efficient forward lines, none of that is going to change this season.

Cripps averaging 32 goals a year for the last 5 seasons as a small forward would put him in the top group of small forwards in that time I'd suspect, particularly for someone who is known as being a pressure forward first and foremost. Allen played 2 games in his first season, and he was played not only as a forward but as a defender and a part time ruckman in some games as well, so to still average a goal a game in his first full season is more than impressive. Anybody who actually watched more than a couple of his games could tell you he is an elite talent, to try detract from his season just goes to show out of touch you are.

You'd know all of this if you actually had anything more than a surface level knowledge of West coast, looking at some stat sheets doesn't mean you understand what you're talking about.

After a couple of injuries hurn's form did decline, but to suggest that means he is finished despite still being awarded AA is ridiculous. He's been very durable most of his career and given his form pre injury last year I'd back him in to at the very least still make a more than solid contribution in the backline, not to mention his leadership and tactical knowledge aren't going anywhere. Kennedy hadn't had a preseason for 3 years and is getting older, so it's no surprise his form declined last year yet he still managed to kick 50 goals. He's having his first uninterrupted preseason since 2016 and by all accounts appears to be fit and firing once again, so I wouldn't hold your breath on him supposedly "falling off a cliff". I'd expect at least another 50 goals from him this year, and if he can stay fit there's no reason he couldn't challenge for the coleman once again.

True losing Rioli is a massive loss but our forward line bats deep and Jarrod Cameron showed a lot of promise in his first season and will only get more opportunities next year in Rioli's absence. He averaged 1.6 goals a game and is still a teenager, with a bigger tank and a bit more experience there's no reason he can't go a long way to covering Rioli, not to mention Ryan's natural development as well. We have one of the most balanced forward lines in the competition, the most accurate forward line and one of the most efficient forward lines, none of that is going to change this season.

Cripps averaging 32 goals a year for the last 5 seasons as a small forward would put him in the top group of small forwards in that time I'd suspect, particularly for someone who is known as being a pressure forward first and foremost. Allen played 2 games in his first season, and he was played not only as a forward but as a defender and a part time ruckman in some games as well, so to still average a goal a game in his first full season is more than impressive. Anybody who actually watched more than a couple of his games could tell you he is an elite talent, to try detract from his season just goes to show out of touch you are.

You'd know all of this if you actually had anything more than a surface level knowledge of West coast, looking at some stat sheets doesn't mean you understand what you're talking about.
Hurn is at a dangerous age. Rarely do players slow down and then bounce back again. His good games will become more sporadic and his bad games will become more extreme. Once your body gives way, your mind follows shortly after. If his pace drops just five percent he will be a deer in the headlights.

I’m not sure why you think I want Kennedy to deteriorate? He’s my favourite non-Richmond player. Having said that, if he kicks fifty goals this year I’ll eat my s**t.

Jarrod Cameron is just like Bobby Hill. Very talented but very raw. These guys will show moments of brilliance but can’t yet be relied upon. 11 goals was a solid return this season but eight of those goals came from two games. He was a non factor in most games.

I never said Allen wasn’t a talent, I just don’t think twenty goals is massive output for any forward. He will be a very good player, but he wouldn’t worry many at this point in time.

Cripps averaging 32 goals a year for the past five years is a bit different to saying Cripps averages forty goals a year over his career.

I think if you compare your forwards to ours, it’s pretty one-sided:

Lynch > Darling
Riewoldt > Kennedy
Lambert > Cripps
Castagna > Ryan
Rioli > Cameron
Bolton > Petrucelli

Hurn looks on his last legs? wtf? He just got AA and played 21 games.

You just throwing darts at the dart board or what?

WC have a deep forward line, they can cover Rioli.

Bringing in Kelly makes WC's midfield the best in the game.

Ryan kicked and averaged more goals than Rioli (forgot him did ya?) For an aging player Kennedy kicked 49 goals. Darlo is a gun. Cripps is averaging 40 goals a year. Allen kicked 20 goals in 20 games in his first year. Cameron had a fantastic first year in front of the sticks. Waterman couldn't crack the 22 and is a very handy forward.

4 of them will be good, need a few more!
You quoted lots of players, 4 will be good!!??, although they are all young
The youth always look better surrounded by champions. Wait til the over 30s and champs retire!!
Finishing 9th. Just ask Richo

I thought this thread was about the Tigers ? WC supporters seemed triggered for some reason.

Hurn is at a dangerous age. Rarely do players slow down and then bounce back again. His good games will become more sporadic and his bad games will become more extreme. Once your body gives way, your mind follows shortly after. If his pace drops just five percent he will be a deer in the headlights.

I’m not sure why you think I want Kennedy to deteriorate? He’s my favourite non-Richmond player. Having said that, if he kicks fifty goals this year I’ll eat my s**t.

Jarrod Cameron is just like Bobby Hill. Very talented but very raw. These guys will show moments of brilliance but can’t yet be relied upon. 11 goals was a solid return this season but eight of those goals came from two games. He was a non factor in most games.

I never said Allen wasn’t a talent, I just don’t think twenty goals is massive output for any forward. He will be a very good player, but he wouldn’t worry many at this point in time.

Cripps averaging 32 goals a year for the past five years is a bit different to saying Cripps averages forty goals a year over his career.

I think if you compare your forwards to ours, it’s pretty one-sided:

Lynch > Darling
Riewoldt > Kennedy
Lambert > Cripps
Castagna > Ryan
Rioli > Cameron
Bolton > Petrucelli
Totally disagree!

Totally disagree!
I didn’t even include Edwards who plays forward often. It would also be unfair to include Martin. We have WCE covered in forward, midfield, defence and depth. Ruck is the only area where they have us. I can’t see how they contend with us in 2020.

I didn’t even include Edwards who plays forward often. It would also be unfair to include Martin. We have WCE covered in forward, midfield, defence and depth. Ruck is the only area where they have us. I can’t see how they contend with us in 2020.
Time will tell. There are also more teams than west coast!!!

Kennedy is on his last legs. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Darling is a good forward a level below the Lynch, Cameron ect.

Cripps is avg 40 goals a year. He has in fact never kicked 40 goals in a season which includes 2018 when he played 25 games. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story though.

Allen - You should have talked him up more as he can play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back