ATP/WTA 2020 Australian Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a mixed success at best. Success in Sydney, failure in Perth, doubtful in Brisbane. Hard to see TA shifting the final away from Sydney. You can hardly say Hopman Cup was stagnating when it was pulling 90K+ even in the non-Fed years.

The crowds weren't improving in Perth. At best you'd get the same, i.e. stagnant. For the first year to get 220k in attendances, that is good. Sure the spreading of games next year could be better, but plenty to work with. I'm happier with this new event than the old Sydney International. Sometimes you have to take risks and the ATP did. The WTA will announce something similar very soon.

Hobart gets a good field even though Adelaide is basically first choice for most. Not sure if the Tennis Australia vision will come to life but I think they would like a men's event in Hobart at the same time. So Auckland moves weeks. Their dream schedule looks something like.

Week 1 ATP Cup / WTA Cup Sydney / Brisbane / Perth. Plus a combined ATP / WTA Auckland event. Challenger event in Canberra. Possibly another Challenger in Australia.
Week 2 Combined ATP/WTA events in Adelaide and Hobart. Challenger in Bendigo.
Week 3 & 4 AO

For the above to happen:
- The men's event in Doha needs to move to mid to late Feb.
- The women's event in China to move to the Asian swing. I think this is the hardest to negotiate.
- Auckland has to agree to combine their event. Their men's field will be much better which would be appealing as outside the ATP Cup it would be the only event but their women's event would really struggle. I don't think it would be strong enough on its own.
Not sure if we will get a combined event ever TBH. We only have one main court, which suits a minor event like ours. the site is super small. We should have a Challenger down here which could use the same courts. It should be around the same time as Burnie and Launceston ITF's.

Sure he has(an injury).....

Would have nothing to do with the ATP Cup and the upcoming Aus Open.

To be fair I sort of believe him as he seemed very disappointed at pulling out. It always happens the week prior to grand slams- men rarely want to play much other than train in Melbourne and to be fair that’s fair enough they are playing hard best of 5 tennis. The last thing you want is plying a final on Saturday in Adelaide having to then back up on Monday

The crowds weren't improving in Perth. At best you'd get the same, i.e. stagnant. For the first year to get 220k in attendances, that is good. Sure the spreading of games next year could be better, but plenty to work with. I'm happier with this new event than the old Sydney International. Sometimes you have to take risks and the ATP did. The WTA will announce something similar very soon.

I agree the week of tennis for the men's was way ahead of anything we have seen in the past for the first week of the Summer. I think now people know how it works it will start off even better next year.

I get that Brisbane and Perth feel a bit short changed but this whole event was about improving the tennis in Sydney. The other alternative was swapping the Brisbane and Sydney tournaments so Sydney could have the Brisbane field but that is clearly unfair.

I think overall it was a huge success and the addition of the WTA Cup will make it better for Perth in 2021.

To be fair I sort of believe him as he seemed very disappointed at pulling out. It always happens the week prior to grand slams- men rarely want to play much other than train in Melbourne and to be fair that’s fair enough they are playing hard best of 5 tennis. The last thing you want is plying a final on Saturday in Adelaide having to then back up on Monday

I agree he was never going to play after the week he had and nor should be.

Always amazes me how close you can get to the players. Just walk past them.

Lovely day in Hobart. Can't wait to watch Muguruza later today

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not so lucky here in Melbourne, we are shrouded in smoke. Looks like play is underway at all venues although the AQ qualies were delayed.

Not so lucky here in Melbourne, we are shrouded in smoke. Looks like play is underway at all venues although the AQ qualies were delayed.

They have to have some contingency plan for the Aus Open. It's not realistic to expect 3 courts to have all matches in the Grand Slam. Maybe postpone the doubles and or mixed is a viable option.

They have to have some contingency plan for the Aus Open. It's not realistic to expect 3 courts to have all matches in the Grand Slam. Maybe postpone the doubles and or mixed is a viable option.

It's no different to rain IMO. We have had only two days of really bad smoke so far during the bushfires, last Monday and today. We may get the same during the tournament but I wouldn't think it will last for days on end. In other words we may have one or two days disrupted due to smoke but a change in the wind can blow it away fairly quickly. They can cope with this when it's it's one or two days of rain so I wouldn't expect it to disrupt things too much.

It's no different to rain IMO. We have had only two days of really bad smoke so far during the bushfires, last Monday and today. We may get the same during the tournament but I wouldn't think it will last for days on end. In other words we may have one or two days disrupted due to smoke but a change in the wind can blow it away fairly quickly. They can cope with this when it's it's one or two days of rain so I wouldn't expect it to disrupt things too much.

I'll believe it when I see it. It's not something that is going to go away to April at least. Look I hope you are right and luckily I don't care about the Australians much who are on the outside courts, but it's these types of players that could be at risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll believe it when I see it. It's not something that is going to go away to April at least. Look I hope you are right and luckily I don't care about the Australians much who are on the outside courts, but it's these types of players that could be at risk.

That may be the case (but I disagree) but even if we have smoke until April, it's not everyday. Like I said we've had a couple of really bad days, some completely smoke free days and some days where it's just a little bit of smoke.

That may be the case (but I disagree) but even if we have smoke until April, it's not everyday. Like I said we've had a couple of really bad days, some completely smoke free days and some days where it's just a little bit of smoke.

You wouldn't want those bad days in the first week. I at last hope we don't see doubles scheduled on the top 3 courts till the second week.

I forgot how long the days are when you are at an event. 7 hours of watching tennis, you feel bloody tired by the end of it.

Was good to see Cici Bellis win her first proper WTA match in 18 months or so. That was the pick of the matches I saw today. Cornet was feisty with AVU but I couldnt tell you what it was about. You could tell Muguruza is a star and can be unbeatable on her day. Just so imposing.

Not sure if we will get a combined event ever TBH. We only have one main court, which suits a minor event like ours. the site is super small. We should have a Challenger down here which could use the same courts. It should be around the same time as Burnie and Launceston ITF's.

Yeah okay, the introduc
I forgot how long the days are when you are at an event. 7 hours of watching tennis, you feel bloody tired by the end of it.

Was good to see Cici Bellis win her first proper WTA match in 18 months or so. That was the pick of the matches I saw today. Cornet was feisty with AVU but I couldnt tell you what it was about. You could tell Muguruza is a star and can be unbeatable on her day. Just so imposing.

Many improvements to Melbourne Park? Is court three in total shade for spectators

Worst case, they have 8 indoor courts at the national tennis center.

It'd probably be a commercial nightmare though, because crowds able to watch would be very small, and TV coverage/commentary options wouldn't be great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back