A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because the AFL is a continuation of the VFL which is plainly obvious.
Follow the yanks? I don’t think you even understand what you mean by that. It’s the only example of conferences in the world I can think of. Super Rugby I think also has conferences which again no one cares about. I can’t remember teams looking at being the best Aussie team as the pinnacle.

You're a carlton fan, and you're gonna value beating wc or bris over beating richmond. Then you're in a minority mate.

How much of that national market is invested in footy like those in footy heartland? You're denying the largest population nsw and 3rd largest qld are NOT invested in footy, that's rl territory.

Will viewing habits change ... if you arent competing with clubs do you have much interest in the game, go with Netflix?

Yes because the AFL is a continuation of the VFL which is plainly obvious.
Follow the yanks? I don’t think you even understand what you mean by that. It’s the only example of conferences in the world I can think of. Super Rugby I think also has conferences which again no one cares about. I can’t remember teams looking at being the best Aussie team as the pinnacle.

Where is that conference?

When you dont get to see the best play, you go back to the State League model, good luck.

You're a carlton fan, and you're gonna value beating wc or bris over beating richmond. Then you're in a minority mate.
Haha that’s the point mate. Would’ve you preferred to beat Richmond in that prelim and be the best Vic side or beat West in the Granny because that is what it will all come down to. You are the one trying to rewire the way people think where they no longer want to be the best team in the comp just half of it.

Where is that conference?

When you dont get to see the best play, you go back to the State League model, good luck.
Haha righto so should the NBA rewrite their history books from when Toronto came into the comp?
Everyone knows that the AFL is an extension of the VFL, you included. The standard of the competition is irrelevant as it’s got nothing to do with anything and I’m sure you already know this.

Haha that’s the point mate. Would’ve you preferred to beat Richmond in that prelim and be the best Vic side or beat West in the Granny because that is what it will all come down to. You are the one trying to rewire the way people think where they no longer want to be the best team in the comp just half of it.

Like I said earlier if you're so confident the vic fans would value beating the other conference champ over winning their own conference flag put it to a poll. Put your money where your mouth is.

How would I possibly be able to re wire peoples thinking? I'm merely explaining where the vic fans investment is, that's not telling people how to think.

How come fitzroy didn’t keep playing games in Tasmania I remember going to a few in the early nineties at north Hobart oval were they not financially viable

The experiment failed for a number of reasons including a lack of support from the AFL who insisted on Fitzroy paying for all expenses (including accommodation and flights). Fitzroy received no income from ground advertising and catering.

It's a bit of a pity that the AFL didn't have the vision to support Fitzroy's venture into Tasmania in 1991-1992. Fitzroy also were the first VFL-AFL club to play in Tasmania (along with Melbourne) in June 1952.

In many ways the association of the Fitzroy Lions with Tasmania would have been most appropriate. The lion on the Tasmanian flag could have been transferred to the Fitzroy jumper, except in a gold colour. They're not that dissimilar.

0-8839_clipart-red-lion-tasmanian-flag.png

There was even a Tasmanian 'Fitzroy Football Club' based in Launceston which won the local 1896 premiership.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-18/long-lost-football-trophy-returns-to-launceston/8282656

Haha righto so should the NBA rewrite their history books from when Toronto came into the comp?
Everyone knows that the AFL is an extension of the VFL, you included. The standard of the competition is irrelevant as it’s got nothing to do with anything and I’m sure you already know this.

I'm not the only one who thinks the standard of the comp from more teams (20 seems to be suggested here) is irrelevant here.

I'm well aware Victorians believe it is irrelevant that they didnt see Stephen Michael play. I was fortunate enough to see/live/be a member in the State comps (WAFL, SANFL & VFL) over the 10 years leading up to the national comp, I'm under no illusion.

I'm not the only one who thinks the standard of the comp from more teams (20 seems to be suggested here) is irrelevant here.

I'm well aware Victorians believe it is irrelevant that they didnt see Stephen Michael play. I was fortunate enough to see/live/be a member in the State comps (WAFL, SANFL & VFL) over the 10 years leading up to the national comp, I'm under no illusion.
I don’t even know why we are even talking about the standard at all. It has nothing to do with anything anyone is talking about. The AFL is a continuation of the VFL, other players playing other leagues doesn’t change that one little bit.

Like I said earlier if you're so confident the vic fans would value beating the other conference champ over winning their own conference flag put it to a poll. Put your money where your mouth is.

How would I possibly be able to re wire peoples thinking? I'm merely explaining where the vic fans investment is, that's not telling people how to think.
Haha you don’t need a poll for a made up situation. What you are suggesting goes against every single example in the world. In Every single conference known, no one cares about there result only the overall champion. Also don’t forgot there are hundreds of national leagues around the world who don’t have conferences, I wonder why that is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha you don’t need a poll for a made up situation. What you are suggesting goes against every single example in the world. In Every single conference known, no one cares about there result only the overall champion. Also don’t forgot there are hundreds of national leagues around the world who don’t have conferences, I wonder why that is?
I think it fair to say, that every league where a full season without conferences is practical, doesn't have conferences. Conferences are a beast of necessity. AFLW has conferences purely because they needed a mechanism to do a season where there arent enough rounds to play each team once.

you just need to look at GC and GWS.

The attendances of the G.C. follow it's onfield performance. The G.C. are still attracting rl level crowds.
The GWS are steadily moving up the attendance and membership ladder.
Yes, attendances aren't flash by AFL standards but good by rl standards and thus also good in N.Z.

Last edited:
I lived in Sydney for 20 years and the Sydney newspapers had the same opinion.
Newspapers are simply the least accurate source of information around.

I think TV 'news' has them beat, but concede it's a close race to the bottom there.

The attendances of the G.C. follow it's infield performance. The G.C. are still attracting rl level crowds.
The GWS are steadily moving up the attendance and membership ladder.
Yes, attendances aren't flash by AFL standards but good by rl standards and thus also good in N.Z.

Yeah, those two clubs have their whole rl states falling over each other throwing money at them clammering for memberships and seats at the game.

Whichever way you want to boil it down and dissect it they're in rl states, the majority of those populations don't give a flying about AF.

It'll be decades maybe longer before if at all those states adopt AF as the number one footy code.

A 3rd syd team? Maybe in 2130, anytime before that it's fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back