Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t see Ben leaving North. You just know they’ll have huge cap space put aside for him.
I'm reasonably sure we planned our 21-24 cap around keeping Daniher and having to pay him a premium.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I'm reasonably sure we planned our 21-24 cap around keeping Daniher and having to pay him a premium.
Norf have always got the capacity to make a huge bid for players at other clubs. No chance they get outbid on one of their own.
Players generally stay for less too. Say that is 10ish percent less over the course of the contract, if Norf offer Brown 750-800k, we will have to likey go 870-900k. Even then Norf can up it a bit and we may be looking at some crazy high numbers.

Would rather take 450k of that and try pry Peter Wright (GCS) or Todd Marshall (Port) and spend the rest on youngsters coming out of contract.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah we’d have spare money for sure but I doubt we could outbid North when you consider you have to pay a premium to get him to change clubs. Plus didn’t Brown sign a team friendly deal last time? Very much doubt he’s the type to leave.

Yeah we’d have spare money for sure but I doubt we could outbid North when you consider you have to pay a premium to get him to change clubs. Plus didn’t Brown sign a team friendly deal last time? Very much doubt he’s the type to leave.
There is no harm in asking a question. It could also make North pay a bit more than they were wanting to.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Have no interest in Brown - Your system is good enough and you can win a premiership without a dominant tall forward.

Agreed. We shouldn't plan to not have one, but McKernan, Stewart, Jones, Gown, Laverde and Stringer plus a resting ruck are enough to bide us over for a few years without panicking.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Have no interest in Brown - Your system is good enough and you can win a premiership without a dominant tall forward.
I'd like a dominant tall forward to be the spearhead of the system, dominating, so McKernan, Stringer and Laverde have an easier time of it. If the cap space is there and there's interest from Brown, you'd be very pleased to see him in red and black.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

I think you are missing the word "if"

Jury is out in Daniher this year.

If he doesn't perform/injury doesn't improve then Essendon don't have to pay him a premium to stay IF he does sign on in RFA.

only like 2 or 3 of the last 20 premierships haven't had a dominant key forward in their team during the season?

id much rather have one..........

only like 2 or 3 of the last 20 premierships haven't had a dominant key forward in their team during the season?

Dogs 16, Swans 12, Cats 07, Eagles 06.

Only ones that spring to mind.

you don't reckon Nathan Ablett was a dominant key forward? ;)

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Lynch & Brown
Tredrea
Ablett & Mooney
Hall
Hansen & Lynch
Franklin & Roughead
Riewoldt
Boyd

Boyd dominated on the day, not so much during the year.
I don't recall Q Lynch being dominant. A Lynch absolutely was though.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

WC was underpinned by a freakish midfield, though Lynch did manage 65 goals in 2006 so wasn't exactly a bad target.

I think you need at the very least a consistent KPF target down there that holds the forward structure together, Reiwoldt is a talented player but his role now is more a structural one to allow the smalls consistent opportunity than as a dominant single forward.

Someone like Hooker in 2017 is probably a good example for us, kicked 40 goals (also keeping in mind there's been a significantly decline in the number of goals kicked by individual players in a season) and provided an important structural piece for our forward-line. We've lost Daniher but we've also not had a reliable forward target in his place. McKernan has good games where he is that target, and others where he's useless. Hooker was able to be that target every week.

Lynch & Brown
Tredrea
Ablett & Mooney
Hall
Hansen & Lynch
Franklin & Roughead
Riewoldt
Boyd

yeah i know.

basically every team in the last 20 years has had a good key forward.

so to say you don't need one to win a cup, whilst true in some cases................ is statistically low...

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
WC was underpinned by a freakish midfield, though Lynch did manage 65 goals in 2006 so wasn't exactly a bad target.

I think you need at the very least a consistent KPF target down there that holds the forward structure together, Reiwoldt is a talented player but his role now is more a structural one to allow the smalls consistent opportunity than as a dominant single forward.

Someone like Hooker in 2017 is probably a good example for us, kicked 40 goals (also keeping in mind there's been a significantly decline in the number of goals kicked by individual players in a season) and provided an important structural piece for our forward-line. We've lost Daniher but we've also not had a reliable forward target in his place. McKernan has good games where he is that target, and others where he's useless. Hooker was able to be that target every week.
Didn't realise Quinten Lynch had been that effective; helps when the mids are that good.
I agree re: the importance of a solid forward target. Riewoldt and the small forwards have even greater scope now with Tom Lynch there as well.

I've also mentioned that I would like to see Hooker forward while Daniher is an unknown. We were at our best most recently with Daniher, Stewart and Hooker forward IMO. Hooker, McKernan and Stringer goes some way towards replicating that. I'd have Hooker at FF and McKernan at CHF.

Jury is out in Daniher this year.

If he doesn't perform/injury doesn't improve then Essendon don't have to pay him a premium to stay IF he does sign on in RFA.
But our long term planning would have been that.

I'd like a dominant tall forward to be the spearhead of the system, dominating, so McKernan, Stringer and Laverde have an easier time of it. If the cap space is there and there's interest from Brown, you'd be very pleased to see him in red and black.

EFC have already recruited good quality players through trading in the last two years - Either way JD could be of limited value either through injury or wanting to leave, so I doubt he will be the difference - You can't continually give up first-round draft picks and pray that you win a premiership - Now is the time to hit the draft big time and you select wisely and they will be members of a premiership team in two or three years

Yes, many premiership teams have had dominant forwards on their list - How many were actually dominant on Grand Final day and were the difference between winning and losing ? Performing a structural role is important but doesn't necessarily make the difference between winning and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back