Training Richmond 2020 Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Me thinks shorty moves onto Ellis wing,where his long kicking into our forward 50
Will become a huge asset,, ( think second goal in 3rd quarter prelim)
Stacky moves into defence to take shortys place
Thats the only option for short if he wants to prolong his career with us.

Reckon Pickett is safe.
Pecking order for the 2 spots up for grabs(Ellis & Baker).
Graham
Stack
Ross
Baker
McIntosh
Turner
RCD
Naish
English
Higgins not even a chance?

how good is our depth.

I'm more than a little surprised that some posters don't see Stack in the starting 18, much less 22. More talent in that kids little toe than half our side.
Yer definitely best 18.

Has so much talent and his versatility is a real weapon as well. Can play forward, back or mid at a really high level.

Bit like last year.Fake injuries to our best 22 over the coarse of the year to freshen up for finals.
Lets be honest we're the only side who can afford to do it and get away with it.
We didn't need to fake it last year. Who knows what injury run we have. Funnily enough we won flags in years where we played approx 37 players

Reckon Soldo will go into 2020 as our preferred ruckman.
I thought Nank was back to his best in the G/Final. I had written him off after poor form post injury.
I want to see different combos of 2 rucks all year. Nank with CJ, Chol, Soldo & Balta. With CJ hopefully stepping up. By finals next year, Soldo & Nank are the preferred combo. I reckon it may be worth trying Chol as a KPD. Thoughts?

I was very impressed with Soldo's ruck work last year. Having had undersized rucks for the last few years (Nank and Ivan), we have become used to doing the 'Bobby Skilton' - roving to the opposition tap. But even with losing the clearances on a regular basis, we have still been pretty good the last few years :cool:.

In 2019 we won the clearances in 5 of 25 games. In 2018 we won the clearances in 4 of 24 games. But we won 38 of those 49 games.

Nank is far better around the ground - big strong body. Very, very valuable player. Also - very prone to clangers. What I would like to see is a +/- for both players in the games they played together (+/- is measure of how the team goes when you are on the field. eg - Nank plays the first quarter - we win that by 6 points. Soldo plays the 2nd - we lose that by 4. Nank is +6, Soldo gets -4.) Yes there are some issues with +/- (it's mostly a basketball stat, where one player can make a huge difference), and we probably don't have enough data to make meaningful conclusions.

TL;DR - I can see Soldo taking the No 1 spot - maybe.

Also should be noted I don’t think Nank is training with the whole group yet

pretty sure I read somewhere he’s on limited duty’s

not sure as to why

not sure as to why

Yeah he was running laps recently, last update from RFC. Think it’s due to his groin/adductors or whatever cause I’m guessing he had post season surgery.

I have great respect for Soldo in the way he’s improved. Good tap ruckman, uses his body well, good set of hands and an accurate kick for goal (see qtr 4 against WC in the wet).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

not sure as to why

I might be wrong but I vaguely remember reading something about a minor groin operation?

Yeah he was running laps recently, last update from RFC. Think it’s due to his groin/adductors or whatever cause I’m guessing he had post season surgery.

I have great respect for Soldo in the way he’s improved. Good tap ruckman, uses his body well, good set of hands and an accurate kick for goal (see qtr 4 against WC in the wet).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully he’s back to full training soon but like you said Soldo just isn’t an emergency ruck for us anymore

his improvement over the past few seasons has been massive he’s gone from someone who was already in the centre square but pretty useless once the ball hit the deck
To someone who now continues to hunt the ball and be useful around the ground

I might be wrong but I vaguely remember reading something about a minor groin operation?

Yeah that’s it
I think it had something to do with cleaning up some of the scar tissue that was limiting his range of motion or something like that

either way hopefully he’s back with the main group soon and can have a full pre season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s it
I think it had something to do with cleaning up some of the scar tissue that was limiting his range of motion or something like that

either way hopefully he’s back with the main group soon and can have a full pre season

the good thing is that he doesn't have to be rushed back from the clubs point of view as we have coverage in that position now.

however I'm tipping Nank will be like a bull at a gate trying to get back out there ASAP being the competitive beast that he is!

the good thing is that he doesn't have to be rushed back from the clubs point of view as we have coverage in that position now.

however I'm tipping Nank will be like a bull at a gate trying to get back out there ASAP being the competitive beast that he is!

100% Nank will be doing everything he can to try and claim his number 1 ruck spot back and I’m sure Soldo won’t make it easy for him, all the while CCJ will be having his best crack as well

It’s this healthy competition for positions that’s going to drive our improvement and it’s exciting

Reckon it'll be a softly softly approach with Higgins.
Totally agree - personally I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play VFL or AFL for for the first half of the season. We really have no idea what impact it's had/having on him. a 10% negative impact on his reflexes would make a massive difference at this level, whilst not impacting life outside of football. However with Higgins being the top class kid that he is (and football being his life), he'll leave no stone unturned to get back to the level.
The Doctors will be all over this. When they give him the all clear, then what a bonus to be able to add him to that list.

What I like with the Soldo Nank combo is that we actually are winning and controlling ball ups now. Soldo makes a massive difference in giving us advantage against good rucks. That leaves Nank to take them when they are tired or the second ruck - then he does a job. Soldo is emerging as a decent around the ground player. Nank is very good around the ground. It gives us an advantage we haven't had for years, and flexibility in how we play.

I also love how Soldo knows he can't get down and dirty like Nank so he uses his power to physically control stoppages. Often he'll just hold down the opposition player with the ball, causing another stoppage. Or he'll simply block oppo players and they just can't get through. Really smart use of the fact that he one of the few players capable of simply holding an AFL midfielder using pure size and strength. Looks like he's not doing anything until you look carefully, then you realise he is controlling the contest to our advantage. Nank smashes in and tries to make the play. I wonder whether the difference in styles of rucks causes problems for the opposition.

What I like with the Soldo Nank combo is that we actually are winning and controlling ball ups now. Soldo makes a massive difference in giving us advantage against good rucks. That leaves Nank to take them when they are tired or the second ruck - then he does a job. Soldo is emerging as a decent around the ground player. Nank is very good around the ground. It gives us an advantage we haven't had for years, and flexibility in how we play.

I also love how Soldo knows he can't get down and dirty like Nank so he uses his power to physically control stoppages. Often he'll just hold down the opposition player with the ball, causing another stoppage. Or he'll simply block oppo players and they just can't get through. Really smart use of the fact that he one of the few players capable of simply holding an AFL midfielder using pure size and strength. Looks like he's not doing anything until you look carefully, then you realise he is controlling the contest to our advantage. Nank smashes in and tries to make the play. I wonder whether the difference in styles of rucks causes problems for the opposition.
You are definitely on to something it’s very difficult or at least more difficult to plan against two very different play styles it would change the way opp midfields and rucks need to set up depending on who is lining up for us

similar to when we rotate dusty into the forward line it makes un-organised teams panic and creates mis matches around the ground

You are definitely on to something it’s very difficult or at least more difficult to plan against two very different play styles it would change the way opp midfields and rucks need to set up depending on who is lining up for us

similar to when we rotate dusty into the forward line it makes un-organised teams panic and creates mis matches around the ground

I suspect we do this quite a lot. We run to a structured predictable game style - for us. But we constantly create specific points of confusion for the opposition. How we rotate guys through the wings etc is another area where we are constantly changing the match ups.

Nank and Soldo will both play second fiddle to CCJ in another season. The vultures will be circling if he doesn't get games this year. He has hands like buckets.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if CCJ is as good as you think. Soldo is an above average tap ruck, with some good other traits, and is improving fast. Nank is a beast, whose only real weakness is tapping against the best. Both are genuine good AFL quality rucks.

We can't play 3 rucks I would think. So if CCJ comes on in 2020 we almost have to trade one high quality AFL ruck. That sucks, but is a great position to be in. I just don't know who I'd want to trade.

I thought Nank was back to his best in the G/Final. I had written him off after poor form post injury.
I want to see different combos of 2 rucks all year. Nank with CJ, Chol, Soldo & Balta. With CJ hopefully stepping up. By finals next year, Soldo & Nank are the preferred combo. I reckon it may be worth trying Chol as a KPD. Thoughts?
Agree with all of that 👍

The talls really have been developed in the 2s to play multiple roles forward/back/ruck. It’ll hold us in good stead should a kpb or kpf go down.

CJ is the one (currently not in the 1s) who I reckon has the most upside even more than Balta imo. He is genuine ruck size and athletic enough to play kpf.

As you say it’ll be good to see the different combinations throughout the season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if CCJ is as good as you think. Soldo is an above average tap ruck, with some good other traits, and is improving fast. Nank is a beast, whose only real weakness is tapping against the best. Both are genuine good AFL quality rucks.

We can't play 3 rucks I would think. So if CCJ comes on in 2020 we almost have to trade one high quality AFL ruck. That sucks, but is a great position to be in. I just don't know who I'd want to trade.
The point of difference is his marking. At the moment mainly as a forward, where he can play as a genuine second tall forward, unlike the other two, but eventually that will translate to around the ground. In that respect more like Nankervis. My only reservation is mobility, can't recall if he is more mobile than Nank., but without it you are a liability up forward up to a point. Interesting year, but either way he will be very useful if he comes on. Having said that I really hope Nank bounces back to 2017 form.

Agree with all of that 👍

The talls really have been developed in the 2s to play multiple roles forward/back/ruck. It’ll hold us in good stead should a kpb or kpf go down.

CJ is the one (currently not in the 1s) who I reckon has the most upside even more than Balta imo. He is genuine ruck size and athletic enough to play kpf.

As you say it’ll be good to see the different combinations throughout the season.
Yep.Mix n Max during the season particularly against fellow top 8's and decide come finals the best combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back