Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
The obvious one that can help us in the midfield is Hannebery. Clark was showing great signs but is he the mid we need? Agree with others that I'd like to see him played in best position this stage of his budding career. Feel we're feeling the pinch of a reluctance to draft genuine mids over the past 5 years.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
The obvious one that can help us in the midfield is Hannebery. Clark was showing great signs but is he the mid we need? Agree with others that I'd like to see him played in best position this stage of his budding career. Feel we're feeling the pinch of a reluctance to draft genuine mids over the past 5 years.
If Clark played like he did late last year at half back I’d keep him there but I’d also try him in the middle in practice games. The midfield is clearly the most important spot but an attacking hb is gold. Hodge played most of his career there and is rated a great. I suppose it depends on how the midfield is going without clark

Mangus

Senior List
Aug 31, 2009
Happy Place
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Plugger is right about the talls I think all of Marshall Ryder King Membury Carlisle Howard Battle Wilkie are easily in our best 22 players just not sure they can all fit into our best team.

Seems from the earlier posts that Battle is training forward back and interestingly on the wing. Maybe he's the one being squeezed out of a position. Anyway this is a nice problem to have in January and the chances are injuries will make this a redundant argument by the end of March. Best thing is Carlisle will be under pressure to perform final year of his contract and Battle Brown Joyce Austin Clavarino all pushing for his spot, time to perform.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clark dominated in the TAC Cup playing as a genuine mid

He also dominated in each game he played last year in the VFL, playing as a genuine mid

I'll be happy to see how switch between the 2 roles but I'd be disappointed if he wasn't getting good midfield time this year.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clark dominated in the TAC Cup playing as a genuine mid

He also dominated in each game he played last year in the VFL, playing as a genuine mid

I'll be happy to see how switch between the 2 roles but I'd be disappointed if he wasn't getting good midfield time this year.
But when he played midfield in the AFL early in the season, he was overwhelmed and looked no where near an AFL quality midfielder.

That may have changed after another preseason, but we don't need to rush him in there just because thats where he played as a junior.

If he played the whole season at half back in the same form he ended 2019, then no one should be disappointed.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
But when he played midfield in the AFL early in the season, he was overwhelmed and looked no where near an AFL quality midfielder.

That may have changed after another preseason, but we don't need to rush him in there just because thats where he played as a junior.

If he played the whole season at half back in the same form he ended 2019, then no one should be disappointed.
One thing has changed. His body shape looks better. I noticed on Instagram the other day armo said where has the dad body gone. Clark did say it’s hiding somewhere but at least it’s hiding now. It was for all of us to see last year

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

I'm expecting him to improve on how he went 12 months ago. His body didn't look like an AFL midfiders last year, you would hope that in his 3rd year of footy he'd be getting close to it.

I get what you are saying and obviously if he can't get a kick in there and he's playing well off the half back then he stays back, but I sure hope he's given every opportunity in there as that's where I see him playing his best footy.

The longer we leave him as a permanent half back the less he develops as a mid.

I'd be happy to see around a 70-30 mix depending on how he performs

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Clark played like he did late last year at half back I’d keep him there but I’d also try him in the middle in practice games. The midfield is clearly the most important spot but an attacking hb is gold. Hodge played most of his career there and is rated a great. I suppose it depends on how the midfield is going without clark
Fortunately for Hawthorn, they didn't have Steele, Ross and Dunstan as their main midfielders....

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm expecting him to improve on how he went 12 months ago. His body didn't look like an AFL midfiders last year, you would hope that in his 3rd year of footy he'd be getting close to it.

I get what you are saying and obviously if he can't get a kick in there and he's playing well off the half back then he stays back, but I sure hope he's given every opportunity in there as that's where I see him playing his best footy.

The longer we leave him as a permanent half back the less he develops as a mid.

I'd be happy to see around a 70-30 mix depending on how he performs
I would be surprised if he didn't spend time every game running through there. His body has clearly matured over the off season and most importantly, he seems a lot more confidence that he belongs out there which will go a long way.

I just don't want to the pass or fail of his season to come down to whether he becomes a stand out midfielder or not.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would be surprised if he didn't spend time every game running through there. His body has clearly matured over the off season and most importantly, he seems a lot more confidence that he belongs out there which will go a long way.

I just don't want to the pass or fail of his season to come down to whether he becomes a stand out midfielder or not.
I'm not expecting him to be a stand out mid, but I'd be disappointed if he's not given opportunity and at least having an impact.

I never understand why talls who haven’t proven a thing would stretch back lines. To me that is a 1980’s thing. It’s team defence now and with the lack of contested marking it doesn’t really matter about height but more about ability. If you are tall and good then fine. If you are short and good then fine. At the moment the only player the opposition would be really worried about in that group is membery. King hasn’t hardly played a game for 2 years so no matter how good he is it will take time. Ryder has never proven himself as a forward and due to age is past making that a position to scare the opposition. If we play 3 talls I would play battle at least he had very good year as a back so the opposition know he can play. King should play as much as possible for experience but it won’t be to stretch the opposition this year.
I like to think that Winx's career will track at least like Ben Brown's. 11 games for 18 goals in his debut year. 30 goals in his second year, 40 in his third before averaging 60 a year. Winx is taller, quicker has the marking prowess and is a pretty good set shot. We just need to make sure we structure up properly to allow him to get a good run at the ball and close enough to goal. His pace/height combination is going to be hard to stop if you defend goal side of him and fail to setup a second defender to bump him off his line. He won't even have to jump at the ball much like Ben Brown doesn't.

So we know that the way we setup is going to be very important for Max. And if Membrey continues his upward trajectory we just need Marshall to become a credible forward marking target. Then we would see Max could get off the leash in some games.

If you asked me which Saint will be the first to kick five goals in a game during season 2020 I would say Membrey. My next guess would be Winx. Butler my smokie.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would if I smoked but I never have. Dim sims are enough

1579068795487.gif

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I like to think that Winx's career will track at least like Ben Brown's. 11 games for 18 goals in his debut year. 30 goals in his second year, 40 in his third before averaging 60 a year. Winx is taller, quicker has the marking prowess and is a pretty good set shot. We just need to make sure we structure up properly to allow him to get a good run at the ball and close enough to goal. His pace/height combination is going to be hard to stop if you defend goal side of him and fail to setup a second defender to bump him off his line. He won't even have to jump at the ball much like Ben Brown doesn't.

So we know that the way we setup is going to be very important for Max. And if Membrey continues his upward trajectory we just need Marshall to become a credible forward marking target. Then we would see Max could get off the leash in some games.

If you asked me which Saint will be the first to kick five goals in a game during season 2020 I would say Membrey. My next guess would be Winx. Butler my smokie.
He could kick 18 in 11 games but I’d like him to also get the ball a bit apart from kicking goals. If you had 18 possessions in 11 games and kicked 18 I’d say that’s a poor season. If he kicked 11 goals in 11 games and had 77 possessions I’d say that’s a good first year. I expect a big improvement every year from king

But we do need better mids.

Or we need our mids to be better.
Bloody oath we need better mods or we need our current mods to be better.
This place is run terribly.
BlushingFlawlessDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted.gif

Oh s**t!! You said " mids" not " mods".
Ooops my bad.
Keep up the good work George

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
As I said with team defence I don’t think unproven or average talls stretch anyone these days. Certainly not good sides. And to expect more than a goal a game on average out of king is expecting far to much especially for guy who has hardly played for 2 years. Good players stretch sides not average tall players
I think the club and pretty much all of us are banking on Winx being just a tad better than an average tall!

Sure we should not heap too much pressure on him in what amounts to his first proper season.
But like i said before he would hardly be the first young tall to have an impact immediately if he did!
So long as he is not the main man week in week out, providing he stays healthy i can see him
Rewarding us with a significant impact pretty much from the start, such is his quality!

S'pose Winx did get beaten a few times in her 3yo season, but she was still pretty special!
And we should be expecting big things from Membrey and possibly Battle forward this year
Also if Billings can stop sh!tting himself in front of goal and show his real quality, he is another that has a 50 goal season in him!
Not to mention the Great Greshmeister!
I won't allow you to suck the wind out of my considerable sail man! I've got a winged keel a mile long for the Sainters this year!
I'll be most disappointed if we are not at least Grand finalists!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think the club and pretty much all of us are banking on Winx being just a tad better than an average tall!

Sure we should not heap too much pressure on him in what amounts to his first proper season.
But like i said before he would hardly be the first young tall to have an impact immediately if he did!
So long as he is not the main man week in week out, providing he stays healthy i can see him
Rewarding us with a significant impact pretty much from the start, such is his quality!

S'pose Winx did get beaten a few times in her 3yo season, but she was still pretty special!
And we should be expecting big things from Membrey and possibly Battle forward this year
Also if Billings can stop sh!tting himself in front of goal and show his real quality, he is another that has a 50 goal season in him!
Not to mention the Great Greshmeister!
I won't allow you to suck the wind out of my considerable sail man! I've got a winged keel a mile long for the Sainters this year!
I'll be most disappointed if we are not at least Grand finalists!
Who are the good young talls who have had a good first year since team defence came in? I know it’s his second but due to being out of the game so long it’s similar to his first? I expect to be better than average but I don’t this year. It’s about development this year. If billings plays wing he ain’t kicking 50 goals. By the way he kicked very well last year and didn’t get close to 50. I’m glad you are confident but please don’t go blaming everything if you confidence is unfounded. You can’t blame the coach this year.

Back