2020 HFC Pre Season Training

NBA maximum of about 30 minutes on court a game, no one tackling you/sliding into your legs/falling on you, barely any full sprinting and landing on a surface that doesn't shift like grass... fair bit of difference to account for that would allow you to get back earlier.

They also play 3 times the amount of games in a season on a much firmer surface. Plenty of precarious situations for the legs considering the amount of jumping, particularly dunking or contested shots in the post.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kid yourselves all you want, but IF he isn't available round 1 then the recovery hasn't gone to plan and the club is keeping everyone in the dark about certain aspects of the situation...
You can plan all you want and do all the things you think are right, but there are no guarantees in medicine.

They also play 3 times the amount of games in a season on a much firmer surface. Plenty of precarious situations for the legs considering the amount of jumping, particularly dunking or contested shots in the post.
It's not comparable

It's not comparable

I agree it's not comparable, but not that it's somehow easier to recover from a broken bone if you play NBA as opposed to AFL.

There are complicating factors on both sides.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
NBA maximum of about 30 minutes on court a game, no one tackling you/sliding into your legs/falling on you, barely any full sprinting and landing on a surface that doesn't shift like grass... fair bit of difference to account for that would allow you to get back earlier.

Elite players play more than 30 minutes - 36 mins approx.

The suface is also much harder than turf. It can get slippery with sweat, which is very dangerous. Players do land on each other or fall into legs. They are jumping all the time and jumping in contests with each other. They do sprint regularly too. Almost all of the athletes are bigger and heavier than AFL footballers as well.

They also play 82 games and regularly play back to backs.

Whilst AFL is more physical due to tackling and endurance running, there is no downplaying the physical nature of basketball.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I agree it's not comparable, but not that it's somehow easier to recover from a broken bone if you play NBA as opposed to AFL.

There are complicating factors on both sides.

The biggest thing to over come as an NBA player from such injuries is when you are trying to play defence. Playing defence in basketball is a lot of anticipation of which way the guy/s you are defending are going to move. As far as comparing which sport is easier to come back from such an injury is like comparing apples and oranges.

In regards to Mitchell I for one won't be surprised to see his defensive side struggle a little bit early on. As an athlete it's easy to know which direction that you are going when you've got the ball but not so easy when you don't and you have to anticipate / chase. I'm sure this is something Clarko and the coaches will have to discuss and maybe tweak the defensive side of our game plan. If we could carry Sammy Mitchell in his twilight years defensively then I'm sure we can do the same for Tom :)

Elite players play more than 30 minutes - 36 mins approx.

The suface is also much harder than turf. It can get slippery with sweat, which is very dangerous. Players do land on each other or fall into legs. They are jumping all the time and jumping in contests with each other. They do sprint regularly too. Almost all of the athletes are bigger and heavier than AFL footballers as well.

They also play 82 games and regularly play back to backs.

Whilst AFL is more physical due to tackling and endurance running, there is no downplaying the physical nature of basketball.

Plus, PG is 206cm tall. That's a huge complicating factor when it comes to injury recovery.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ladies and gents,

Our boys are flying at the minute.

Re all these messages and concerns about Titch etc...... don’t stress.

Last year we were going well at this stage and Wingard was back and up and running and then hurt his calf.

Things can change but at the moment (fingers crossed) all is good.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All professional sport is demanding. But when you can play to 1500+ games in a career in nba you can’t possibly claim it is equal to the physical demands of afl. Recovery from a game of nba is a lot shorter than afl and there in lies the reason why they can play so many more games.

the thing that is going to impact Mitchell is how he recovers from training and playing. First session of the year he is going to be fine. Let’s see how he is going on the eve of the season. I’d expect he will be rested during the year should he struggle to recover. Or maybe as a precaution. But until he starts pulling up sore we shouldn’t be lining up the clubs medical team as failing. the best you can do is adopt best practice and adjust as you get new data.

Club twitter account puts a link about him, and his "imminent" return.

2 minutes later article is re-posted and "imminent" is removed

It's all smoke and shadows behind the windows.

You can plan all you want and do all the things you think are right, but there are no guarantees in medicine.
Which is exactly why I take 2-3x the prescribed amount (+ beer), because you just can't trust doctors or chemists...

And... I keep a spreadsheet!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can't recall any players who have had badly broken legs not have issues the first season back. I would think Titch will have soreness for some time and suspect he will miss games due to it. I highly doubt he will slot straight back in and play every week.

The positive is we have played a season already without him so whenever he plays will be a massive bonus.
Yes - and nowhere near the load he carried. As Clarko said, him having 50+ posies was not a good sign for the side

macmate

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor
Dec 16, 2008
Caulfield North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Benfica, Liverpool, 49ers
I think we will be a more balanced team this year than we were the last year Tom played. We certainly have a lot more upside/potential in our team.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Tom Mitchell on Sen 1116 Summer Breakfast.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ladies and gents,

Our boys are flying at the minute.

Re all these messages and concerns about Titch etc...... don’t stress.

Last year we were going well at this stage and Wingard was back and up and running and then hurt his calf.

Things can change but at the moment (fingers crossed) all is good.

Flagged for deletion. Insufficiently pessimistic. The only realistic opinion is a negative opinion.

Back