Windows 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I am not an expert on computer, but my Microsoft people say they do not support windows 7 any more, and I may be targeted or whatever?

Because they have, in laymans terms, given windows 7, the bullet??

They also say that putting windows 10 on my older computer, probably won't work, and I am quite satisfied with what I do on this thing.
But they say you may need to buy another computer???

Just how dangerous is it to not have windows 7 support?

I have a Malware's protection on my computer, but I am just not sure how secure I am , and it feels like a sales pitch?

Any advice , I need someone who knows about this stuff.

Thanks to anyone that can advise. JJ.

Windows 7 won't be supported with updates to address security exploits, so if they pop up you'll probably be outta luck. You can imagine that those who look for security exploits will be quite happy to continue doing so, knowing plenty of people are running an out of date OS. So you will be leaving yourself wide open.

You can still update to Windows 10 for free if you're on Windows 7 as it should use the same activation code automatically, so it's worth a try (you have about a week or two to roll back to Windows 7 if you need to). Windows 10 was released almost 5 years ago so if your system is older than that, while it will probably still work, you may want to look at upgrading to new hardware. You can download the Media Creation Tool through Microsoft directly and do the update. May take a while as it will have a lot of updates to run through, but it's pretty simple. Just a few times where you'll need to click OK to continue to process from memory.

Windows 7 won't be supported with updates to address security exploits, so if they pop up you'll probably be outta luck. You can imagine that those who look for security exploits will be quite happy to continue doing so, knowing plenty of people are running an out of date OS. So you will be leaving yourself wide open.

You can still update to Windows 10 for free if you're on Windows 7 as it should use the same activation code automatically, so it's worth a try (you have about a week or two to roll back to Windows 7 if you need to). Windows 10 was released almost 5 years ago so if your system is older than that, while it will probably still work, you may want to look at upgrading to new hardware. You can download the Media Creation Tool through Microsoft directly and do the update. May take a while as it will have a lot of updates to run through, but it's pretty simple. Just a few times where you'll need to click OK to continue to process from memory.
Thank you my friend I will have a go I appreciate the info, and I'll try not to rubbish the Eags too much . Thanks again mate.

Old thread but for anyone else who's still on Windows 7 and looking to upgrade to 10 on older hardware be aware there may not be drivers for your old hardware.

Had someone who did the upgrade from 7 to 10 and their PC was blue screening after. Booted in to safe mode and discovered it was the WiFi adaptor causing it to fail. Manufacturers website didn't have Windows 10 compatible drivers as they didn't support it anymore. Managed to get around the problem by them purchasing a USB WiFi adapter and disabling the on board one, but it's just something to consider.

Old thread but for anyone else who's still on Windows 7 and looking to upgrade to 10 on older hardware be aware there may not be drivers for your old hardware.

The success of upgrading an old PC can depend on a number of factors. I was able to upgrade an old Dell Inspiron 1520 purchased in 2008 with little to no problems.

Because they have, in laymans terms, given windows 7, the bullet??

End of support, the lifecycle of windows 7 has come to and end and support focuses on Windows 10. Typically when they do that they're shifting their focus on the next version of windows under development rather than maintaining older versions.

I initially wasn't going to (Windows 7 for life yo!) but I decided to upgrade my main desktop computer to see if it would work or botch the pc (good excuse to buy a new one!). The installation went off without a hitch and despite my pc being almost 8 years old....... it's running better than it did on Windows 7. Even getting better performance with the games on Steam.

I initially wasn't going to (Windows 7 for life yo!) but I decided to upgrade my main desktop computer to see if it would work or botch the pc (good excuse to buy a new one!). The installation went off without a hitch and despite my pc being almost 8 years old....... it's running better than it did on Windows 7. Even getting better performance with the games on Steam.
Yes, against earlier statements of mine that I'd never upgrade after trying to get the very first release to work I've bitten the bullet as well, prompted by the lack of support now for Win7 and a crash that occurred not long after support stopped (hmmmm... :think:).. After all this time the bugs have been ironed out and it works as well as Win7. As a matter of fact I see very little difference overall in day to day use. The best bit is it's still free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back