Opinion Brisbane Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we don't. I stopped caring for any olympic sports after watching Icarus.

The olympics is BS how little the best athletes in the world get compared to those that work for the olympic organisations.
IIRC IOC members can get paid more for attending the olympics than a lot of athletes will make.
The Olympics was always meant to be for Amateur Sports.

The Olympics was always meant to be for Amateur Sports.

That was a workable model when it wasn't a multi, multi billion dollar endeavour but with the massive sponsorship, TV rights and all the rest it rings a little hollow for the athletes not to be fairly compensated in the name of sporting purity.

For mine, when a sporting event becomes a commercial enterprise in all other aspects its time to pay the athletes properly - its only fair given they're the whole reason people are even tuning in

That was a workable model when it wasn't a multi, multi billion dollar endeavour but with the massive sponsorship, TV rights and all the rest it rings a little hollow for the athletes not to be fairly compensated in the name of sporting purity.

For mine, when a sporting event becomes a commercial enterprise in all other aspects its time to pay the athletes properly - its only fair given they're the whole reason people are even tuning in
I disagree with that entirely.
As an athlete it’s one of the only things left that is purely for the love of the sport you play and the Country you play for.
Take that away and the Olympics will die a slow death.

As an athlete it’s one of the only things left that is purely for the love of the sport you play and the Country you play for.

To be honest I feel like it already is given its increasingly feeling like a corporatised Disney land for sports.

I don't have any numbers on viewership but anecdotally interest from my friends and family is decreasing by the year. I don't know if that's because of the commercial nature of the event that everyone pretends isn't there, but I feel like it doesn't help.

With that said rugby and soccer world cups are very much enjoyed and they're as commercially orientated as coca cola so maybe im reading too much into things and just projecting my dislike of the way it's run

Last edited:
Say Brisbane get the 2032 Olympics they’ve said events will all over SEQ. The dates their looking at are from July 23 to August 8. It’s during footy season I think the AFL would give the Lions and Suns away games for the weeks the Olympics are on.

Say Brisbane get the 2032 Olympics they’ve said events will all over SEQ. The dates their looking at are from July 23 to August 8. It’s during footy season I think the AFL would give the Lions and Suns away games for the weeks the Olympics are on.
The Summer Olympics in the middle of Winter, who would have thought?

It will be more than just those weeks in that year.
Improvements to the Gabba & Metricon will have to be made and either no access until work completed or restricted access during construction improvements.
The other option is Lions & Suns share say the Gabba while Metricon is upgraded. Then the reverse to occur.

Let's hope they don't come up with what the poor Suns had to go through for the Commonwealth Games.
Maybe we won't have to worry about this in the end.

Improvements to the Gabba & Metricon will have to be made and either no access until work completed or restricted access during construction improvements.
The other option is Lions & Suns share say the Gabba while Metricon is upgraded. Then the reverse to occur.

Let's hope they don't come up with what the poor Suns had to go through for the Commonwealth Games.
What sports are they using the Gabba and Metricon for?

Have no idea but both have been mentioned in various press statements. Also Suncorp and CBus stadiums along with actually building a new stadium.
No one will know until official bid is made public.
Can't see both venues not being used for something.
Be interesting to see what sports are dropped and or added.
I noticed that Baseball/Softball was added to Tokyo 2020.

Maybe Soccer during the Sydney Olympics they use The Gabba for Soccer matches. Could also be Baseball or Softball it’s coming back in Tokyo after missing the last two OlympicS.

Could they played games at Springfield or is that to small?

Could they played games at Springfield or is that to small?
Don't think it would be used. Seating for 10,000 most not undercover.
I just hope construction goes well and is completed on time for the start of the AFLW season 2021. The men would also move in at the same time.

It would be good if they somehow needed the facility as more Government money would go into the project.
The Lions would benefit long term if that happened. We can only hope but it would be a long shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope construction goes well and is completed on time for the start of the AFLW season 2021. The men would also move in at the same time.

It would be good if they somehow needed the facility as more Government money would go into the project.
The Lions would benefit long term if that happened. We can only hope but it would be a long shot.
Then they will want us to pay them a lease.
And we will be back to where we started.

I will admit i have no idea how that would work.
I suppose the Club would have to agree or knock back the funds.
More than likely the facility won't be needed even if Queensland's bid was successful

Not generally. There are grants, etc, same as we got to assist in constructing. Since it's privately owned, renting it out as a base for someone could also be on the cards.

On one view it has been dying a slow and painful death pretty much since the 1990's, possibly earlier. Playing for love of your sport or country is still a motivation I'm sure, but for the higher profiled (and paid) sportspeople, it's hard not to think that the material things are now just as important and for some maybe more so.

There's no way that they wouldn't have designed it to allow it to be upgraded to a boutique stadium size in the future. Training base for a country seems likely too

There's no way that they wouldn't have designed it to allow it to be upgraded to a boutique stadium size in the future. Training base for a country seems likely too
True. Just can't see funding coming from Lions would have to be State & Federal. A training base is definitely on the cards if bid successful.
I was not thinking down those lines but yes that is logical.
Also right next to a train line so that is a big help.

Located this video interview with John Coates posted in June 2019 before Queensland put in a bid.
He sets out why a bid from Brisbane & regions falls into line with the new Olympic bid reduced requirements.
One fairly new requirement is the summer games must be held in July or August so Sydney & Melbourne no longer suitable.
Regions can now be included in bid but "connectivity" is crucial for this type of bid.
Also about reduced costs and extended time frame from approval to games start date.
I recall seeing bits and pieces of this interview but not the whole interview which goes for 8 minutes for anyone interested.

I'm struggling to think of a bigger waste of money than this. Even paying people to dig holes and fill them in again at least puts people to work and would cost less.

Few reports around this week that the state government is going to double down on the Olympics bid because of this pandemic. Supposedly they see it as a way to rebuild Queensland's economy over the next decade coming out of this - through more jobs, infrastructure, and funding from the federal government/IOC.

Few reports around this week that the state government is going to double down on the Olympics bid because of this pandemic. Supposedly they see it as a way to rebuild Queensland's economy over the next decade coming out of this - through more jobs, infrastructure, and funding from the federal government/IOC.
Haven’t read a thing. Source?

Haven’t read a thing. Source?

It was in the paper a few days ago and on the radio too. As a whisper though, so doesn't seem to be something they've written a full story about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back