Test cricket is dying, let's help save it

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So the sum total of Bangladesh touring overseas and stinking it up for over twenty years is two tons from their opening batsman in a test series they lost by plenty? FMD I'm having a hard time trying to reconcile your posts. I think you're trolling tbh

If you're not trolling, for someone so forgiving of crap teams playing crap cricket ad neaseum you don't share much of those niceties towards your fellow posters.

Niceties?

What are we the CWA?

For some unknown reason you seem to take it really personally that someone has a different view. If I disagree with someone I’ll argue till I’m blue in the face about it but at the end of the day it isn’t like it’s an insult for someone to disagree.

Again, I’ve given a legitimate example of how players improve and achieve by playing good opposition.

The subtotal of your rebuttal is usually ‘that’s your argument?’ rather than anything of any real substance. I’d find it a lot easier to respect your views if you simply provided some common sense example based evidence.

The fact is, playing better opposition makes better players.

You seem to think that if a side doesn’t go from zero to winning everywhere they play within a couple of years, that equates to no improvement. Or that it’s a failure.

It’s not.

Aside from the two countries who started the game, it has taken everyone decades to become competitive in international cricket.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Personally I wouldn't mind never seeing the Windies or Sri Lanka/Bangladesh play tests ever again. They're absolutely rubbish. Take those teams away from the format and give the more deserving teams more tests ie NZ or Afghanistan, Ireland etc.

It’s a good stance and one that no doubt you would have supported during the 80s when Australia was at a similar level.

Nice try Rex

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Niceties?

What are we the CWA?

For some unknown reason you seem to take it really personally that someone has a different view. If I disagree with someone I’ll argue till I’m blue in the face about it but at the end of the day it isn’t like it’s an insult for someone to disagree.

Again, I’ve given a legitimate example of how players improve and achieve by playing good opposition.

The subtotal of your rebuttal is usually ‘that’s your argument?’ rather than anything of any real substance. I’d find it a lot easier to respect your views if you simply provided some common sense example based evidence.

The fact is, playing better opposition makes better players.

You seem to think that if a side doesn’t go from zero to winning everywhere they play within a couple of years, that equates to no improvement. Or that it’s a failure.

It’s not.

Aside from the two countries who started the game, it has taken everyone decades to become competitive in international cricket.
I posted a clear statistic two days ago outlining the woeful performances of the Windies in test cricket over the last twenty years to back up my statement. You disregarded it like you do to everything anyone says who disagrees with you and just posted essay after essay of emotional waffle 👎

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s a good stance and one that no doubt you would have supported during the 80s when Australia was at a similar level.

Nice try Rex
So for a few years in the 80's we were terrible but the other 100 we've been excellent and you reckon that's comparable to the fallacy of the windies and those other teams I mentioned? Grow up

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I posted a clear statistic two days ago outlining the woeful performances of the Windies in test cricket over the last twenty years to back up my statement. You disregarded it like you do to everything anyone says who disagrees with you and just posted essay after essay of emotional waffle 👎

Whilst completely ignoring the fact that if you actually look at recent evidence over 3 years their record has improved markedly. So your one piece of evidence has been completely rebuked with facts and figures. Doesn’t really work does it

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
s**t analogy. In the AFL every one beats everyone and they play a season which makes the matches have context which is something you are against apparently.

If I was against the matches having context, I wouldn’t support the WTC, which I do.

And my exact point is to say that if you took away the current structure of AFL and made the strongest teams exclusive to one another, the other games would lack context and therefore lose any remaining interest outside of the fans of the strong clubs

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So for a few years in the 80's we were terrible but the other 100 we've been excellent and you reckon that's comparable to the fallacy of the windies and those other teams I mentioned? Grow up

For 45 years the West Indies were strong and then spent a few decades either being remarkably inconsistent or outright garbage and are now seemingly improving again.

Is there rules about the time frames that I haven’t heard about?

We play the Windies and Pakistan like every 6 years. In the 2 tiered system they'd actually have the chance to play Australia every single year so the fu** are you guys on about

The World Test Championship has changed this. You have to play all the nations more regularly in a rotating cycle. That is a good thing. These nations will improve from playing the best.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
If they can compete with us in their conditions regularly they can earn the right to play us at home

What nonsense, Bangladesh beat us in a Test, Sri Lanka white-washed us last time and we do worse in the UAE then pretty much all other teams including NZ who people are now talking about as rubbish.

Outside the UAE our only accomplishment in the SC in recent times was the Pune win and we only looked good that series because of Steve Smith and some of the bowlers. Take out Smith and we're one of the weakest teams in the SC, the same could be said for England.

The weaker teams play in Australia once in a blue moon, no preparation time is available (I've seen you blame this on touring teams, despite the schedules being out of their control with all these championships going on in different formats) which means by the time they tour again they have a new roster of players and so it goes around in circles.

Your disregard of teams like the Windies suggests you watch Australia at home and no other Cricket. They've got a world class bowling attack and their batsmen are starting to put it together.

What nonsense, Bangladesh beat us in a Test, Sri Lanka white-washed us last time and we do worse in the UAE then pretty much all other teams including NZ who people are now talking about as rubbish.

Outside the UAE our only accomplishment in the SC in recent times was the Pune win and we only looked good that series because of Steve Smith and some of the bowlers. Take out Smith and we're one of the weakest teams in the SC, the same could be said for England.

The weaker teams play in Australia once in a blue moon, no preparation time is available (I've seen you blame this on touring teams, despite the schedules being out of their control with all these championships going on in different formats) which means by the time they tour again they have a new roster of players and so it goes around in circles.

Your disregard of teams like the Windies suggests you watch Australia at home and no other Cricket. They've got a world class bowling attack and their batsmen are starting to put it together.

Well said mate.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
As stated earlier, the problems countries have coming to Australia for a Test series is lack of preparation. Sure, they could come here earlier to prepare, but who would they play? Usually, the Australian team is still overseas somewhere playing in yet another meaningless ODI competition. Meanwhile, back in Australia, we are cramming 6 Sheffield Shield rounds in before mid-December to make way for the dopey BBL which consumes 1/3 of the cricket summer, and all of it prime time. So touring sides wouldn't be able to play against the state teams.

Then we ram 5 Tests into just over a month, not giving opposition teams any time to improve over the series. Let's face it, our reliance upon BBL for income has completely stuffed up the entire structure of Australian cricket, to the detriment of the game.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The World Test Championship has changed this. You have to play all the nations more regularly in a rotating cycle. That is a good thing. These nations will improve from playing the best.
You keep saying that crap like it means something, the Windies have been getting worse for 30 years and they get to play us. Playing 6 test matches over an 8 year period won't do a ******* thing to improve countries that no one gives a * about watching test cricket in. Pakistan and NZ basically waved the white flag one innings into the series. Pakistan were better last time they toured yet by your guys logic they should have been better because you get better every single time you get smashed in a series apparently

You keep saying that crap like it means something, the Windies have been getting worse for 30 years and they get to play us. Playing 6 test matches over an 8 year period won't do a ******* thing to improve countries that no one gives a fu** about watching test cricket in. Pakistan and NZ basically waved the white flag one innings into the series. Pakistan were better last time they toured yet by your guys logic they should have been better because you get better every single time you get smashed in a series apparently

You mean like we waive the white flag in the sun continent...It’s as if the only test cricket you watch is our summer...open your eyes it’s not as if we are some great side that wins away from home. Pakistan have a young side they will improve. Their bowling attack will learn more from bowling to Warner, etc than they would bowling to Ireland or someone like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You mean like we waive the white flag in the sun continent...It’s as if the only test cricket you watch is our summer...open your eyes it’s not as if we are some great side that wins away from home. Pakistan have a young side they will improve. Their bowling attack will learn more from bowling to Warner, etc than they would bowling to Ireland or someone like that.
You mean how we've won 2 of the last 3 series in Sri Lanka?
Or how we won in India in 3 series ago and went in 1-1 to the last test last series?
Or never lost a series in Bangladesh?

You mean how we've won 2 of the last 3 series in Sri Lanka?
Or how we won in India in 3 series ago and went in 1-1 to the last test last series?
Or never lost a series in Bangladesh?

Lol going into the last test then got smashed...I’d hardly call that great. That was to an awful Indian side too. We have lost plenty of tests in that region. Embarrassing in the UAE the same pitches NZ smacked Pakistan on.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Lol going into the last test then got smashed...I’d hardly call that great. That was to an awful Indian side too. We have lost plenty of tests in that region. Embarrassing in the UAE the same pitches NZ smacked Pakistan on.
No one said great just calling bullshit on your waving the white flag crap when we took the series live into the last game.

Ohhh it was an awful Indian side right.. of course it was 😂

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

This.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You keep saying that crap like it means something, the Windies have been getting worse for 30 years and they get to play us. Playing 6 test matches over an 8 year period won't do a ******* thing to improve countries that no one gives a fu** about watching test cricket in. Pakistan and NZ basically waved the white flag one innings into the series. Pakistan were better last time they toured yet by your guys logic they should have been better because you get better every single time you get smashed in a series apparently

Again, completely disregarding fact.

They WERE getting worse for a long time. It is indisputable that they have improved

The Pakistan side that toured here has lost Younus, Misbah, Sarfraz and Amit from their previous trip.
300 tests including their two best performed batsmen of the last decade, their most experienced pace bowler, and a genuinely world class keeper batsman.

Of course they aren’t as good as they were on that trip

No one said great just calling bullshit on your waving the white flag crap when we took the series live into the last game.

Ohhh it was an awful Indian side right.. of course it was 😂

Good Indian sides wouldn’t gift 13 wickets to OKeefe as decent as he bowled.

The UAE was downright embarrassing and yes we waived the white flag on more than one occasion there

Already managed to poke holes in your crappy point.

Still better than wanting to put tiers into cricket. If you want tiers follow the EPL just go for one of the top 3 sides you’ll be sweet. It’s boring.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Still better than wanting to put tiers into cricket. If you want tiers follow the EPL just go for one of the top 3 sides you’ll be sweet. It’s boring.
Ehhh wrong. Because if we 'wave the white flag' in every subcontinent place you say then for the season it travels to Asia we will get relegated.

Ehhh wrong. Because if we 'wave the white flag' in every subcontinent place you say then for the season it travels to Asia we will get relegated.

Dumb system. We don’t need tiers. End of story. If you want a tier system go follow Man City or something like that.

Absolute clear as day you haven’t watched enough test cricket that isn’t involving Australia. These sides are improving. Give them time.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
As stated earlier, the problems countries have coming to Australia for a Test series is lack of preparation. Sure, they could come here earlier to prepare, but who would they play? Usually, the Australian team is still overseas somewhere playing in yet another meaningless ODI competition. Meanwhile, back in Australia, we are cramming 6 Sheffield Shield rounds in before mid-December to make way for the dopey BBL which consumes 1/3 of the cricket summer, and all of it prime time. So touring sides wouldn't be able to play against the state teams.

Then we ram 5 Tests into just over a month, not giving opposition teams any time to improve over the series. Let's face it, our reliance upon BBL for income has completely stuffed up the entire structure of Australian cricket, to the detriment of the game.
Wait, I've got a way to alleviate that (to a degree).

When tests go to four days, Shield matches then drop down to three. They play Thursday to Saturday, with the one-dayer on the Sunday. Means we don't have to devote a month or whatever it is to the one day tournament at the start of the season. And domestic matches can be spread out a bit to allow for matches against touring sides to happen.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
So Australia in that series was the best performing away side that has toured India in the past few years, and yet you’re still dismissing it?

Kohli, Pujara and Rahane all playing the first three games of the series isn’t good enough for you?

Before that series, in the same season, they beat New Zealand 3-0 (3) and England 4-0 (5).

Back