Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless I'm mistaken he's had a few years tied to basketball with zero footy until 2019. They'd be critical development years for draft hopefuls leading into their draft year. I'm happy to give him time and see how that develops and then assess it.
He will give it a crack

Joel Selwood?
No. Selwood was seen as the complete package without a flaw in his game other than his knees. As a 17 year old, he would have been a unanimous Number1 pick. Dropped to 7 because he missed most of his final year with a dodgy knee, which was also seen as potentially career threatening with people talking bone on bone. Kicking was always viewed as very efficient.

Absolutely. Couple that with his engine and you know that he’ll naturally get to a lot of contests, be able to distribute by hand when he wins it and his skills won’t deteriorate due to fatigue.
Yep. Looks a fantastic prospect. I don't think he'll become a good kick, but the who's who of recent midfield megastars is all about mediocre kicking - Swan, Judd, Fyfe, Dangerfield

No. Selwood was seen as the complete package without a flaw in his game other than his knees. As a 17 year old, he would have been a unanimous Number1 pick. Dropped to 7 because he missed most of his final year with a dodgy knee, which was also seen as potentially career threatening with people talking bone on bone. Kicking was always viewed as very efficient.

and We are still waiting for his Knee to go

I will wait and see.
But is anyone in our team an elite kick?

Ones I can think of are:

• Pendles
  • WHE
  • Reid
and Bianco has been said to be Elite Kick in the U-18's

A couple of players who were also drafted with question marks over their kicking...

- Chris Judd
- Andrew Swallow

I know there would be plenty of others, but these instantly come to mind...
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek and I actually have no issue with Rantall's recruitment - not yet anyway. I probably have more of an issue with the recruitment of sub 180 cm players with below average foot skills. Short players probably peak earlier than players with height and are generally not as attractive draft prospects as taller players, particularly if like Murphy, further growth occurs post draft.

Yep. Looks a fantastic prospect. I don't think he'll become a good kick, but the who's who of recent midfield megastars is all about mediocre kicking - Swan, Judd, Fyfe, Dangerfield

Cripps, Dunkley, Watson, Treloar, Shiel, Priddis etc. I think high value is placed on foot skill by some supporters because all of the best teams have at least one guy that can rip you open with it.

We’ve been blessed with one of the very best in Pendles, GWS have Kelly and Whitfield, Hawthorn had Hodge and Lewis, WC Shuey and Kelly and Richmond have Martin. Guys that win their own ball and use it with precision by foot are pretty rare. Sier might have it, but we haven’t seen enough yet and all eyes will be on Nick Daicos...

Bringing it full circle both Bianco and IQ seem to be fantastic users which is great considering the roles they’ll play long term.

Cripps, Dunkley, Watson, Treloar, Shiel, Priddis etc. I think high value is placed on foot skill by some supporters because all of the best teams have at least one guy that can rip you open with it.

We’ve been blessed with one of the very best in Pendles, GWS have Kelly and Whitfield, Hawthorn had Hodge and Lewis, WC Shuey and Kelly and Richmond have Martin. Guys that win their own ball and use it with precision by foot are pretty rare. Sier might have it, but we haven’t seen enough yet and all eyes will be on Nick Daicos...

Bringing it full circle both Bianco and IQ seem to be fantastic users which is great considering the roles they’ll play long term.
Very true Sco. I reckon the best of them in recent times was Sam Mitchell. He cut teams apart right or left. Rare types and so valuable. Bucks was as good as anyone I have seen in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true Sco. I reckon the best of them in recent times was Sam Mitchell. He cut teams apart right or left. Rare types and so valuable. Bucks was as good as anyone I have seen in that area.
Agree on Mitchell. In my opinion, you have to go back to Diesel to find someone else his equal in terms of generating play from stoppage. Pendles by hand has been absolutely wonderful, but by foot he doesn't open things up the way Mitchell and Diesel did.

Unless you are referring to equines. You are straying dangerously close to a pro pony perspective there.
No offence to your equine magnificence intended of course, I think of it as an exercise in relative potential.

In any species there are those that achieve as expected and those that surpass their genetic potential.

The Shire, although a worthy animal is cast into deep shade by the towering shadow cast by the incomparable Clydesdale.

Likewise the Llama to the Camel.

Foolish indeed though are those who equate this to smaller species such as the Mongoose or the Badger.

Both diminutive in comparison to larger predators but indomitable and deadly dangerous to those who believe size is the sole determinant.

Think he will surprise a few with his JLT series wouldn't surprise me if he debuts early.

I agree. Players like Phillips aren't good kicks but are in the team because they're encouraged to play to their strengths; two-way running, link plays, creating space, keeping opposition accountable both ways, etc.

We need to judge Rantall on what he can do, not what he can't.

What's that quote about judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree...?

I agree. Players like Phillips aren't good kicks but are in the team because they're encouraged to play to their strengths; two-way running, link plays, creating space, keeping opposition accountable both ways, etc.

Just don't want to many of those Types though

Great call, I'd love to see him carry these early standards on and get a debut early on!

Im seriously considering joining forces with the ponies just so I can watch what they do to your sorry ass.

It only takes a phone call to organise a 4-5 week trip to Europe in a nice comfy container followed by a nice tour of the Findus factory.

Watch your step fella...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back