Which players will fill the wing roles in 2020?

Which players (apart from Gaff) should spend the most time on the wing this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Who will be our wings in 2020?

This seems to be the biggest query in our line-up heading into 2020.

It’s likely that Gaff spends a lot of time there given the amount of inside mids we have, other candidates for the role don't seem obvious (to me at least).

If we assume that we have the following as picked:
  • 7 defenders
  • 6 mids: Kelly, Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Sheed, Gaff
  • 2 rucks: Naitanui, Hickey/Allen/Vardy
  • 2 tall forwards: Kennedy and Darling
  • At least 2 small forwards: Cripps, Ryan
This leaves 3 spots. This could be filled by Hutch, Venables, Waterman, Allen, Cameron, Petch, Brander. Maybe someone like XON could jump up.

Regardless of who is picked, it’s uncertain who will play on the wing. If we assume that Gaff spends 80% of his time there (other 20% on the bench or on the ball), this leaves 1.2 spots to fill. Options are:
  • Try to pick a second wingman who plays there all the time. Not sure there are any obvious candidates. I suppose it could be Nelson, Brander (apparently), Hutch(?), who else? This would still need some other players to run through.
  • Share the role around. Players who could run through include: Kelly, Cripps, Venables, Hutch, Waterman, Sheed. Could Yeo, Shuey or Redden spend time there?
How would you fill the two wing roles this year?

I can’t think of a good solution. No one seems to be suited to the role beyond Gaff. And if we picked someone like Brander to play there, I feel like we’d be leaving a better player out of the team

Redden may get a lot less time on ball and has tidy skills to play the outside role. He's a decent mark, too. I'm not averse to giving Brander a good run in that position to see how he goes.

Like Oz I suspect some continuity of games will pay off. We did the same with Duggan early on too. He's talented enough to bring into the side and keep an eye on the future.

And this is exactly why we shouldn't have delisted Chris Masten. We don't have any worthwhile replacements to replicate his output.

Mark my words, we will regret cutting Masto off the list this year.

Speed on the wing with Petch and Veners and the 120ltr gas tanks in Gaff and Duggo who sounds like he has been really building his tank.

Another choice I was thinking hard on was Waterman, any game I have been to with him playing showed me how much he runs and runs.

Kelly, Redden, Yeo, Shoo, Sheed, Hutch are our core rotating on ball mid group, not Wing IMO

And this is exactly why we shouldn't have delisted Chris Masten. We don't have any worthwhile replacements to replicate his output.

Mark my words, we will regret cutting Masto off the list this year.

On the contrary, cutting Masten was vital to getting games into others. While we might miss his defensive and sacrificial running, the things others will bring to that spot will make up for it.

Having a couple of clear vacancies in the starting 22 while having a lot of settled highly experienced good/great players in the team is a real advantage, and long term the decision to cut Masten will prove to be the correct one.

I want to see Brander get a run of games on the wing, as he won't fit in the squad when everyone is fit otherwise.

Brander.

Hopefully by the end of the year other clubs fans are saying 'we need a tall winger to play the Brander role'......Like 10 years ago when it seemed everyone was wanting someone to play the Leigh Brown role.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the contrary, cutting Masten was vital to getting games into others. While we might miss his defensive and sacrificial running, the things others will bring to that spot will make up for it.

Having a couple of clear vacancies in the starting 22 while having a lot of settled highly experienced good/great players in the team is a real advantage, and long term the decision to cut Masten will prove to be the correct one.

I want to see Brander get a run of games on the wing, as he won't fit in the squad when everyone is fit otherwise.

The work Masto provided in 2018 proved vital to our premiership. A lot of it isn't reflected in the stats, as the coaches have said. The role also required a tank like Tom Scully or Gaff, which I'm not sure that can be replicated by the players we have to replace him.

You shouldn't cut players just to create vacancies within the team, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason we deslisted him anyway (it's more likely we needed Masto's salary for TK). To view someone in that way isn't the best approach for a football club IMO.

The work Masto provided in 2018 proved vital to our premiership. A lot of it isn't reflected in the stats, as the coaches have said. The role also required a tank like Tom Scully or Gaff, which I'm not sure that can be replicated by the players we have to replace him.

You shouldn't cut players just to create vacancies within the team, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason we deslisted him anyway (it's more likely we needed Masto's salary for TK). To view someone in that way isn't the best approach for a football club IMO.

Sure, the role can't be exactly replicated by another player, but tactics change and evolve for the players playing. We won the flag in 2018 with Masto playing, but Gaff was missing. Surely Gaff can play the Masten role if we decide to do the exact same thing again.

We have a salary cap, and we have a lot of star players. Players like Masto (solid, but around the 20th player picked in the 22) get squeezed out all the time. List management is a constant juggle. I'd choose to lose Masto over Brander if I had to pick one to go. In most years, Masten would still be playing for us, but he's out due to a pretty much perfect storm of getting in a really good player and having a whole bunch of good looking players coming through from the 2017-2018 drafts (along with McGovern and Gaff both getting big contracts thanks to free agency).

Does anyone have a subscription to The West so I can have a look at this article?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/yo...nsworth-builds-for-2020-recall-ng-b881364901z

Young West Coast Eagle Brayden Ainsworth builds for 2020 recall
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Sunday, 27 October 2019 3:48PM
Braden Quartermaine

West Coast trio delisted
0:21 | 7NEWS Perth

Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:07
/
Duration 0:21
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Fullscreen
Click to unmute

Brayden Ainsworth finished the footy season unfulfilled, feeling he went backwards during his second year on West Coast’s list after failing to play a senior game.
Having grown up in idyllic Esperance before being drafted by the Eagles, the 20-year-old’s life and career gained a new perspective this week when he was part of a player group that travelled to Cambodia.
West Coast’s fifth trip to the Asian nation was equal parts confronting and rewarding for the young midfielder, who was left with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for his own upbringing and opportunities.
feddfdfdffdfd
feddfdfdffdfd
A group which included coach Adam Simpson and nine players built homes for underprivileged families in a remote village, taking the number of stilted houses built by the Eagles to 100 since their inaugural visit in 2010.
Brayden Ainsworth (top) helps builds homes in Cambodia.
Brayden Ainsworth (top) helps builds homes in Cambodia.Credit: Supplied
It was the educational part of the community service tour, including visits to the infamous Tuol Sleng prison and the Khmer Rouge killing fields, that had a “massive impact” on Ainsworth.
The players were encouraged to watch the Angelina Jolie-directed film First They Killed My Father, about the 1970s genocide,before they departed.
“It’s something that I had no idea about. To learn about all that and what people were going through at that time, it was pretty emotional,” Ainsworth said.
“Especially going to the prison and the killing fields, that was a pretty hectic day. It’s very, very confronting and upsetting.
“But it was also really rewarding when you’re building houses. They don’t have much and just to see how happy they are. When you do the handover of the houses on the last day it’s pretty rewarding as well.
“It was a mixed, emotional trip that’s for sure.”
Ainsworth said the visit brought the contrast with his own childhood into focus.
“That was probably the thing that hit me hard the most. I’m 20 years old and I’ve had a pretty good upbringing compared to some kids that are getting put in an orphanage at two years old,” he said.
“It’s hard to describe just how lucky we are living where we are.”
The Subiaco product said the trip had also helped deepen relationships between the players.
The Eagles players, along with coach Adam Simpson, in Cambodia.
The Eagles players, along with coach Adam Simpson, in Cambodia. Credit: Supplied
“Especially under the circumstances. You’re all at times a little bit vulnerable because you’re a bit upset and to be with that close group it definitely made us eight or nine boys a lot closer.
“Sharing a bit more on a deeper level and I guess to do that with Simmo as well, you get to know him a bit better.”
West Coast head of development Gavin Bell said the houses built by the players in the poor Kampong Chhnang region provided ongoing benefits.
“Without the safety of a proper home and clean water, these kids will never make it to school,” Bell said.
“A safe house and clean water brings school participation rates from as low as 15 per cent to over 85 per cent.”
Ainsworth played three games in his 2018 debut campaign and was a grand final emergency for the Eagles when they won the premiership.
Some of the West Coast Eagles that took part in the trip to Cambodia.
Some of the West Coast Eagles that took part in the trip to Cambodia. Credit: Supplied
Taken with pick 32 in the 2017 national draft, West Coast had high hopes for the inside midfielder but a fit first-choice on-ball brigade combined with his underwhelming form at WAFL level denied him a chance at senior level this year. Ainsworth averaged 21 touches a game for the Eagles reserves.
“I felt like I went backwards from the first year. I was pretty disappointed in my form through the year, but hopefully I’ll have a good pre-season and set myself up for a much better year,” he said.
He will focus on adding muscle to his 80kg frame and has set himself to break into a strong West Coast midfield, already boosted by the trade for Tim Kelly, next season.
“It’s a huge signing for the team. I’m sure he’ll hit the track pretty hard and he’ll be a massive asset to our 2020 campaign,” Ainsworth said.
“Obviously my goal is to have a strong pre-season so that I can take a step forward and play a few games.”

I'm wondering if playing a taller wingman to act as an outlet for the kick-in may save some of JK and Darling's tanks as they do a hell of a lot of running to provide a lead and compete.
At times even in the Grand Final you'd see JK hold the ball after a mark on the flank, as Darling who provided the kick had to sprint past to get back to position.
Having the luxury of Allen or Brander or Waterman drop back if they lead up could create headaches.
Used to hope Staker would develop into that role, but luckily we were blessed with Embley.

Young West Coast Eagle Brayden Ainsworth builds for 2020 recall
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Sunday, 27 October 2019 3:48PM
Braden Quartermaine

West Coast trio delisted
0:21 | 7NEWS Perth

Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:07
/
Duration 0:21
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Fullscreen
Click to unmute

Brayden Ainsworth finished the footy season unfulfilled, feeling he went backwards during his second year on West Coast’s list after failing to play a senior game.
Having grown up in idyllic Esperance before being drafted by the Eagles, the 20-year-old’s life and career gained a new perspective this week when he was part of a player group that travelled to Cambodia.
West Coast’s fifth trip to the Asian nation was equal parts confronting and rewarding for the young midfielder, who was left with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for his own upbringing and opportunities.
feddfdfdffdfd
feddfdfdffdfd
A group which included coach Adam Simpson and nine players built homes for underprivileged families in a remote village, taking the number of stilted houses built by the Eagles to 100 since their inaugural visit in 2010.
Brayden Ainsworth (top) helps builds homes in Cambodia.
Brayden Ainsworth (top) helps builds homes in Cambodia.Credit: Supplied
It was the educational part of the community service tour, including visits to the infamous Tuol Sleng prison and the Khmer Rouge killing fields, that had a “massive impact” on Ainsworth.
The players were encouraged to watch the Angelina Jolie-directed film First They Killed My Father, about the 1970s genocide,before they departed.
“It’s something that I had no idea about. To learn about all that and what people were going through at that time, it was pretty emotional,” Ainsworth said.
“Especially going to the prison and the killing fields, that was a pretty hectic day. It’s very, very confronting and upsetting.
“But it was also really rewarding when you’re building houses. They don’t have much and just to see how happy they are. When you do the handover of the houses on the last day it’s pretty rewarding as well.
“It was a mixed, emotional trip that’s for sure.”
Ainsworth said the visit brought the contrast with his own childhood into focus.
“That was probably the thing that hit me hard the most. I’m 20 years old and I’ve had a pretty good upbringing compared to some kids that are getting put in an orphanage at two years old,” he said.
“It’s hard to describe just how lucky we are living where we are.”
The Subiaco product said the trip had also helped deepen relationships between the players.
The Eagles players, along with coach Adam Simpson, in Cambodia.
The Eagles players, along with coach Adam Simpson, in Cambodia. Credit: Supplied
“Especially under the circumstances. You’re all at times a little bit vulnerable because you’re a bit upset and to be with that close group it definitely made us eight or nine boys a lot closer.
“Sharing a bit more on a deeper level and I guess to do that with Simmo as well, you get to know him a bit better.”
West Coast head of development Gavin Bell said the houses built by the players in the poor Kampong Chhnang region provided ongoing benefits.
“Without the safety of a proper home and clean water, these kids will never make it to school,” Bell said.
“A safe house and clean water brings school participation rates from as low as 15 per cent to over 85 per cent.”
Ainsworth played three games in his 2018 debut campaign and was a grand final emergency for the Eagles when they won the premiership.
Some of the West Coast Eagles that took part in the trip to Cambodia.
Some of the West Coast Eagles that took part in the trip to Cambodia. Credit: Supplied
Taken with pick 32 in the 2017 national draft, West Coast had high hopes for the inside midfielder but a fit first-choice on-ball brigade combined with his underwhelming form at WAFL level denied him a chance at senior level this year. Ainsworth averaged 21 touches a game for the Eagles reserves.
“I felt like I went backwards from the first year. I was pretty disappointed in my form through the year, but hopefully I’ll have a good pre-season and set myself up for a much better year,” he said.
He will focus on adding muscle to his 80kg frame and has set himself to break into a strong West Coast midfield, already boosted by the trade for Tim Kelly, next season.
“It’s a huge signing for the team. I’m sure he’ll hit the track pretty hard and he’ll be a massive asset to our 2020 campaign,” Ainsworth said.
“Obviously my goal is to have a strong pre-season so that I can take a step forward and play a few games.”
Good to see the boys use estwing hammers & not some shitty $5 jobs.

Brander.

Hopefully by the end of the year other clubs fans are saying 'we need a tall winger to play the Brander role'......Like 10 years ago when it seemed everyone was wanting someone to play the Leigh Brown role.
Reminds me of that year Richo did that, nearly won a brownlow.

Redden and Gaff, with Hutch moving to the wing to smother opposition run if required. Cripps hard running to the fat side to offer options when Gaff and Redden are drawn closer to the ball in general play.

Sure, the role can't be exactly replicated by another player, but tactics change and evolve for the players playing. We won the flag in 2018 with Masto playing, but Gaff was missing. Surely Gaff can play the Masten role if we decide to do the exact same thing again.

We have a salary cap, and we have a lot of star players. Players like Masto (solid, but around the 20th player picked in the 22) get squeezed out all the time. List management is a constant juggle. I'd choose to lose Masto over Brander if I had to pick one to go. In most years, Masten would still be playing for us, but he's out due to a pretty much perfect storm of getting in a really good player and having a whole bunch of good looking players coming through from the 2017-2018 drafts (along with McGovern and Gaff both getting big contracts thanks to free agency).

Sport is a cutthroat business, but Masto is a 200 game premiership player with us. He's not just a fringe player - he's been part of the fabric of the club for the past 12 years. We shouldn't have just cut him like that.

Positions do change and evolve, but even if Gaff took Masto's role, we still have a vacancy on the other wing. That's the reason we're having this discussion. IMO, for us, we need two players with unbelievable tanks to play the wing, and Masto was one of them.

Last edited:
Sport is a cutthroat business, but Masto is a 200 game premiership player with us. He's not just a fringe player - he's been part of the fabric of the club for the past 12 years. We shouldn't have just cut him like that.

Positions do change and evolve, but even if Gaff took Masto's role, we still have a vacancy on the other wing. That's the reason we're having this discussion. IMO, for us, we need two players with unbelievable tanks to play the wing, and Masto was one of them.

I contend we only needed two players with unbelievable tanks to play the wings because we kept losing the midfield and needed strong defensive running. With Kelly in the team it'll be less important.

Masto was definitely really unlucky, but he turns 31 in May and wasn't one of our stars. Many get forced out without a premiership medal and a life membership of the club. He wasn't one of those, so he's a lot luckier than some. Let's remember that he hasn't been snapped up by any of our rivals, so there's a general agreement that it's his time across the industry.

Redden may get a lot less time on ball and has tidy skills to play the outside role. He's a decent mark, too. I'm not averse to giving Brander a good run in that position to see how he goes.

Like Oz I suspect some continuity of games will pay off. We did the same with Duggan early on too. He's talented enough to bring into the side and keep an eye on the future.
I like sheed or petch

Back