Aussies Who have lost 1st round
I. Popovic
A. Myers
O. Tjandramulia
E. Perez
O. Rogowska
K. McPhee
J. Fourlis

Geech, that is ugly reading for the girls. Only 2 left from 11.

Some interesting names have failed to qualify. People like Kostyuk, Bartel and Errani. Bouchard, Rogers, Vikhlyantseva and Caty McNally are still around though.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Djokovic and Barty half of the draw to play Monday/Wednesday/Friday etc.

Nadal half of the draw to play Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday etc.

On a completely cynical note, this is the 10th Australian Open in a row that Federers half of the draw gets the extra days rest before the final.
Surprise surprise. Watch Djokovic get a mid lunch slot without Federer on at the prime time.

Sammimac88

Draftee
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

On a completely cynical note, this is the 10th Australian Open in a row that Federers half of the draw gets the extra days rest before the final.
Is this scheduling split of the draw confirmed? It not like it’s set in stone which side of the draw plays day 1 etc. or is it set in stone and I’ve looked under the wrong rocks!

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Is this scheduling split of the draw confirmed? It not like it’s set in stone which side of the draw plays day 1 etc. or is it set in stone and I’ve looked under the wrong rocks!
I think this way is the likely scenario. Allows for last year's winners Osaka and Djokovic to play opening day/night. Also gives Federer the extra day rest leading into the final

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Order of play RLA
11893af03972863436d9d01f249d451f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Tsurenko usually plays well in Australia.

Last few years has beaten Osaka, Barty and Sabalenka plus took Pliskova (Brisbane final) and Kerber (Australian Open) to 3 sets.

Strange she didn't play warm ups here this year.
I am sort of happy she didnt. She retired a couple of years ago in the semi-final stage for no reason in Hobart. Never liked her after that. Halep's draw is a nightmare. I swear she never gets a soft draw. Jen Brady up first. Collins in the 3rd round. that is nasty.

pepsi
Yeah, agreed. Another big eastern European. Seems like an endless production line of those. Watching another one right now in Rykakina. Next year, she will be in the top 20. She has a lovely 1-2 punch.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Destanee Aiava is the last girl standing in the womens quallies. She plays Antonia Lottner (rank 156) tomorrow. The last remaining player, Storm, lost in 3 today to Juvan in the 2nd round

In the mens, Hijikata lost in the 2nd while Purcell, as mentioned above, qualified for the main draw. Vukic plays tomorrow for a place in the main draw.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

This is so easily disprovable that it baffles me why it seems to catch on.

Same as the myth about night sessions when compared to other top players like Djokovic and Nadal.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
This is so easily disprovable that it baffles me why it seems to catch on.

Same as the myth about night sessions when compared to other top players like Djokovic and Nadal.
I've done some research to show you are correct. Federer has had the extra days rest for the final in 7 out of the past 10 aus opens. Out of the past 6 he only missed the extra days rest once. I'd say the organisers have definitely favoured him with scheduling in the past 6 years. Happy to be proven wrong on this. I do get why they do it, he is their biggest money earner.

2011 - Day 1
2012 - Day 1
2013 - Day 2
2014 - Day 2
2015 - Day 1
2016 - Day 1
2017 - Day 1 (this was also the year that caused controversy. Federer had 6 out of 7 night sessions and the day session he had was a mild weather day)
2018 - Day 2
2019 - Day 1
2020 - Day 1

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Destanee Aiava is the last girl standing in the womens quallies. She plays Antonia Lottner (rank 156) tomorrow. The last remaining player, Storm, lost in 3 today to Juvan in the 2nd round

In the mens, Hijikata lost in the 2nd while Purcell, as mentioned above, qualified for the main draw. Vukic plays tomorrow for a place in the main draw.
Neither Vukic or Destanee Aiava won today. both lost in straight sets.

So out of the 20 plus players who started this journey, Only Max Purcell moves on to the main draw for both sexes.

Bouchard has also failed to qualify, but a couple of young guns did. Leylah Fernandez and Caty McNally. Leylah Fernandez is a 17 year old Canadian(yes another one) who won the junior French open.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Federer to make it through to the semis this year and lose to the joker who will go on to win the whole lot.

On the womens side, pliskova to win, barty will make the semis but lose to either Osaka or serena

genericusername

Debutant
Nov 3, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The day 1 schedule's already out, but I've had a go at a day 2 schedule.

RLA

Svitolina-Boulter

Pliskova-Mladenovic

Zverev-Ceccinato

Nadal - Dellien

Vekic-Sharapova

MCA

Cocciaretto-Kerber

Medvedev-Tiafoe

Bencic - Schmeidlova

Halep-Brady

Tsonga - Popyrin