Injury 2020 SJOGHCIR

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Garlepp

@JoshGarlepp

·
1m

@WestCoastEagles
preseason continues. McGovern (Achilles) running hard away from main group. Vardy & Allen also in injury group no update on reason. Barrass (foot) back in main session along with Kennedy & Naitanui.
@FOXSportsNews

@FOXFOOTY

Good to hear Barrass is coming back quicker than expected.

Pretty positive with all players recovering well from that write up

Hickey injured a calf
Allen had a hernia
Ah Chee had knee surgery and Vardy had ankle surgery

McGovern and Barrass we knew about but the rest is the first time their injuries have been disclosed

Well I wouldn't expect too much out of Venables this season:

Yeah that's pretty amazing,on all fronts really. The significance and the fact it has taken like seven months to even get near conceding the extent of the injury.

If after 7 months you are not free of the concussion symptoms, you really have to wonder if it is smart to keep playing the game at all. Another big hit and who knows the long term damage. I know he will get the all clear from the doctors etc but that is a hell of a long time to still be having symptoms, even assuming we are being overly cautious now days. Saying there are good days and bad days makes it sound like there are still some major issues there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If after 7 months you are not free of the concussion symptoms, you really have to wonder if it is smart to keep playing the game at all. Another big hit and who knows the long term damage. I know he will get the all clear from the doctors etc but that is a hell of a long time to still be having symptoms, even assuming we are being overly cautious now days. Saying there are good days and bad days makes it sound like there are still some major issues there.

It may be depression and no longer concussion. Simo said that it's sometimes how he feels when he wakes up.

It may be depression and no longer concussion. Simo said that it's sometimes how he feels when he wakes up.
Not being an expert but I think depression can be a symptom of severe concussions and that is worrying in itself. Whatever the issues, I just really hope he is 100% right before playing again. Would be such a shame to see him suffering repeated issues.

Not being an expert but I think depression can be a symptom of severe concussions and that is worrying in itself. Whatever the issues, I just really hope he is 100% right before playing again. Would be such a shame to see him suffering repeated issues.

I think you're right.

Isn't there some work going on at the moment to prove there's a strong correlation with severe repeated concussion in NFL players leading to suicide.

I think you're right.

Isn't there some work going on at the moment to prove there's a strong correlation with severe repeated concussion in NFL players leading to suicide.

Yup there's definitely some correlation there, but I think there is also some nuance as to causation.

The big problem in gridiron is CTE, which while related to concussion is increasingly being attributed to repeated head-knocks. My understanding is that recent research is indicating that it's the repeated helmet crashes that may be the main culprit rather than individual catastrophic events like serious concussion.

For example, heading the ball in soccer is currently being looked at in the same way because long time players are showing the same signs of CTE after death.

I think you're right.

It might not even bet concussions but simply repeated hard knocks.

Basically constantly rattling around your brain in your skull is bad.

He`s out of contract at the end of the year ..Hopefully he gets to play a few WAFL games otherwise the smart option would be to retire ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back