AFC Member Forum 16 Jan 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I sympathise with the club on the matter of scale - they're effectively asking for a focus group; with 70,000+ members, you have to do a bunch of small focus groups. How many people can you talk to at once? 10? 15? Maybe that's why there's a series of these.

But for notice, less than a week is not good, and smacks of disingenuity.

So did anyone here attend?
I got to have a lunch today with one of the Crows board members, who was very engaging about a wide range of topics. Biggest thing I got out of it was that Roo did a lot of work behind the scenes in the coaching selection process (such as a lot of interstate trips in his own time doing due diligence on candidates) and is the main reason we were able to get Nicks.

The appointment for the new leadership position will be within the next couple of weeks too, no idea who it is though. Sapwell didn’t turn the club down like the media have suggested, they wanted Kelly to be heavily involved in the process, which is why it’s taken a little longer to appoint someone.

Didnt get too much on Burton and Campo, but did say that Nicks kept on the other assistants as he believed they were being restricted last year (largely because of the control Campo had), and didn’t want a senior assistant just yet because of that reason too. Said that Hart is very well liked by the players too, which definitely surprised me. All that was said on Burton was that nobody came to them after to say the club had made the wrong decision... I guess given the recent settlement not much more could be said.

Also found out that the parents of the players (from all states) are quite close and catchup at least 4 times a year as a whole group, with Brodie Smith’s dad organizing the catchup as he’s the ‘Parents Captain’. Said that they get very positive feedback from the parents of all players, who have said we are very good at making everyone feel included and like a family. Himmelberg’s parents go to every game for both their sons (regardless of what level they are playing at), traveling from a remote town in NSW. Also agreed though that the club needs to get better in promoting that to the wider public.

Eddie Betts has no bad blood with the club, but didn’t get to the exact reason behind him leaving. Asked about Brad Crouch, just said it will be very interesting to see what happens with that situation, it genuinely seems like the club don’t know if he will stay or go.

Moving to North Adelaide is looking very likely too, predicted we would be there in next couple of years.

Said that our ex Victorian head recruiter of 20 odd years is surprised that Gallucci hasn’t quite got there at AFL level yet.

McHenry, McAdam and Frampton should see plenty of game time this season.

I got to have a lunch today with one of the Crows board members, who was very engaging about a wide range of topics. Biggest thing I got out of it was that Roo did a lot of work behind the scenes in the coaching selection process (such as a lot of interstate trips in his own time doing due diligence on candidates) and is the main reason we were able to get Nicks.

The appointment for the new leadership position will be within the next couple of weeks too, no idea who it is though. Sapwell didn’t turn the club down like the media have suggested, they wanted Kelly to be heavily involved in the process, which is why it’s taken a little longer to appoint someone.

Didnt get too much on Burton and Campo, but did say that Nicks kept on the other assistants as he believed they were being restricted last year (largely because of the control Campo had), and didn’t want a senior assistant just yet because of that reason too. Said that Hart is very well liked by the players too, which definitely surprised me. All that was said on Burton was that nobody came to them after to say the club had made the wrong decision... I guess given the recent settlement not much more could be said.

Also found out that the parents of the players (from all states) are quite close and catchup at least 4 times a year as a whole group, with Brodie Smith’s dad organizing the catchup as he’s the ‘Parents Captain’. Said that they get very positive feedback from the parents of all players, who have said we are very good at making everyone feel included and like a family. Himmelberg’s parents go to every game for both their sons (regardless of what level they are playing at), traveling from a remote town in NSW. Also agreed though that the club needs to get better in promoting that to the wider public.

Eddie Betts has no bad blood with the club, but didn’t get to the exact reason behind him leaving. Asked about Brad Crouch, just said it will be very interesting to see what happens with that situation, it genuinely seems like the club don’t know if he will stay or go.

Moving to North Adelaide is looking very likely too, predicted we would be there in next couple of years.

Said that our ex Victorian head recruiter of 20 odd years is surprised that Gallucci hasn’t quite got there at AFL level yet.

McHenry, McAdam and Frampton should see plenty of game time this season.
Thanks for passing on. Much appreciated! :)

Thanks for passing on. Much appreciated! :)
That’s ok! This board member definitely has their head switched on and is big on supporter engagement.

Nicks was also apparently in line to replace Hinkley at Port, and they are a bit annoyed we got in first. From what I’ve heard about Nicks, he has been destined for senior coaching for a while now, very highly rated within the industry (the selection panel contacted over 20 people in the industry about him during the due diligence process and received a lot of positive feedback).

That’s ok! This board member definitely has their head switched on and is big on supporter engagement.

Nicks was also apparently in line to replace Hinkley at Port, and they are a bit annoyed we got in first. From what I’ve heard about Nicks, he has been destined for senior coaching for a while now, very highly rated within the industry (the selection panel contacted over 20 people in the industry about him during the due diligence process and received a lot of positive feedback).
Thanks for the info, assuming it wasn’t Chapman, anything said about him leaving? Also anything on expectations this year? Have they acknowledged we are in a rebuild?

Thanks for the info, assuming it wasn’t Chapman, anything said about him leaving? Also anything on expectations this year? Have they acknowledged we are in a rebuild?
Yeah wasn’t Chapman, but didn’t want to ask that as thought it was inappropriate. Didn’t say the exact words about a rebuild, but as I mentioned above said that younger players will get lots of opportunities now after the clean out of Betts, Jenkins, Keath and Greenwood. Predicted a finish in the 7-10 range.

Haha, I wondered why you have been quiet for a while as I some how put you on ignore... by accident.

Interesting stuff if true.
Biggest thing I got out of it was that Roo did a lot of work behind the scenes in the coaching selection process (such as a lot of interstate trips in his own time doing due diligence on candidates) and is the main reason we were able to get Nicks.
AFC remains Roo’s kingdom.

Interesting stuff if true.

AFC remains Roo’s kingdom.
That part sounded like club wank. As if Roo was the main reason we got Nicks, Nicks wanted the gig, Roo didn’t need to win him. So he did some checks, big deal, that’s his job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That part sounded like club wank. As if Roo was the main reason we got Nicks, Nicks wanted the gig, Roo didn’t need to win him. So he did some checks, big deal, that’s his job
Yes if true it’s spin on the reality that Roo made the call and it was somewhat of a sham process.

It is what it is, that is how Roo will run things while he is here, and we have to hope he is making good decisions.

I think the point was that Roo does a lot of things that goes unnoticed by the casual fan. For instance, I would have assumed Roo spoke to potential coaching candidates via phone/skype, or that the candidates flew over to Adelaide for the job interview.

“Main reason we were able to get Nicks” was the quote. This implies it was Roos effort which landed Nicks
It just sounded like to me that he put effort in above and beyond what was expected as a member of the selection panel. I’m sure the opinions of others on the selection panel weighed into the final decision too.

It just sounded like to me that he put effort in above and beyond what was expected as a member of the selection panel. I’m sure the opinions of others on the selection panel weighed into the final decision too.
Maybe he felt guilty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back