Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tom Hawkins brain fade he could not control plus key injuries to Mitch Duncan and the young up and comer
Jordan Clark. Plus when he was coach the team brought in Tim Kelly and Tom Stewart two players that make
you think where have they been hiding, I know he was not responsible for this directly, but he was there at the
very least. Geelong faded late which had to be expected given the age of their list, their methodology has to be
questioned focus on conceding and control, but Clarkson values similar attributes.

• Whinging about finals venues
  • Refusing to play a recognised ruck
  • Refusing to play Blicavs as a defender
  • Refusing to acknowledge opposition performances - most notably Charlie Cameron and Tom Lynch - refusing to make any moves to negate them in game
  • Refusing to accept responsibility for anything

• Whinging about finals venues
  • Refusing to play a recognised ruck
  • Refusing to play Blicavs as a defender
  • Refusing to acknowledge opposition performances - most notably Charlie Cameron and Tom Lynch - refusing to make any moves to negate them in game
  • Refusing to accept responsibility for anything
and I will say that he was a first class coach of anything.. Clarko has nothing on his method of complaining.. that is a compliment if you didn't know it..

I’ve said it before, I have two major criticisms of Chris Scott which put him behind Dimma in terms of coaching prowess.

A coach at any level of sport, be it under 9 footy or elite AFL, has two primary jobs. To improve the individual player with development, and then to oversee a cogent game plan/system with his developed players to have success as a group.

The development of the bulk of draft picks at Geelong since 2011 has been really poor (and I don’t buy the lack of high draft picks - Richmond has at least 10 players from outside the draft on their current list with some outstanding rookie contributors developed). There have been plenty of mature top up players recruited from elsewhere in Geelong (and many of them don’t seem to have improved under Scott), but very few draft or rookie recruits have been developed to become A or B graders, and the buck stops with the senior coach. (and I would argue that Bliclavs and Stewart are primarily Scarlett pet projects that have developed more under his guidance).

As for the game plan - it hasn’t stood up in finals when the real pressure is on, and to me seems to change and be tweaked far too often to the point of confusion when the whips are cracking. Perplexing selection and match day decisions have cost important results, and there seems a lack of trust in young players to do the job.

Dimma has developed a solid list from scratch, and has a developed a defined brand of football through the whole club where people are given a trusted role and slot in well -much like the “soldier out, soldier in mentality” of Clarkson. He has a system which works and defines the club.

Head to head record? Dimma turned over nearly 40 players in his first three years in a total club rebuild - in a period against a perennial finalist with an amazing recent Premiership record. It’s a fine statistic for Scott, but some historical perspective please.

Whinging about finals venues
GMHBA is an official ground as far as I am aware so why in 2019 when Geelong finish on top of the ladder do
they have to play the fourth finishing Collingwood at the MCG their home ground in the qualifying final. Give
Geelong a reward for being minor premiers make Collingwood suffer for finishing fourth by travelling by bus
down to the hollow. In 2013 Geelong finished 2nd and played the 3rd finishing Fremantle at GMHBA why was
that because they were an interstate side again it was the qualifying final and Fremantle won to everyone's
surprise proving the Ross Lyon anywhere, anytime mantra to be correct. Now this must be confusing for the
Geelong folks the potential size of the crowd combined with the dollars returned determines the home venue
for the early finals. In 2016 the Bulldogs had to play a preliminary final at giants stadium and you know what
the giants deserved it because they finished higher on the ladder, now would they have got a bigger crowd
at the MCG, yes and would they have run out of beer at half time, no and some of our supporters had to
wash a glorious victory down with apple cider and like the cider they are still bitter.

GMHBA is an official ground as far as I am aware so why in 2019 when Geelong finish on top of the ladder do
they have to play the fourth finishing Collingwood at the MCG their home ground in the qualifying final. Give
Geelong a reward for being minor premiers make Collingwood suffer for finishing fourth by travelling by bus
down to the hollow. In 2013 Geelong finished 2nd and played the 3rd finishing Fremantle at GMHBA why was
that because they were an interstate side again it was the qualifying final and Fremantle won to everyone's
surprise proving the Ross Lyon anywhere, anytime mantra to be correct. Now this must be confusing for the
Geelong folks the potential size of the crowd combined with the dollars returned determines the home venue
for the early finals. In 2016 the Bulldogs had to play a preliminary final at giants stadium and you know what
the giants deserved it because they finished higher on the ladder, now would they have got a bigger crowd
at the MCG, yes and would they have run out of beer at half time, no and some of our supporters had to
wash a glorious victory down with apple cider and like the cider they are still bitter.

You do know that Geelong have only ever played one solitary final at Kardina.

And they lost

I dont really want to get into the whole gmhba finals argument

but the reason geelong hosted freo at GMHBA was because the MCG already had 3 finals

Hawthorn vs sydney
Geelong vs Freo
Richmond vs Carlton
Collingwood vs Port adelaide

I’ve said it before, I have two major criticisms of Chris Scott which put him behind Dimma in terms of coaching prowess.
I don't know either man enough to make a judgement call on their coaching ability or how well they communicate
their philosophies to their players and prepare them for match day. The old does the team make the coach or
does the coach make the team argument is a bit penile for mine because there are so many other factors at work.
Ideas are gathered from around the world and adapted for AFL these days, champion data can tell you when a
player last cut his toe nails. You cannot judge a coach based on a few cut away shots when he is usually angry
and press conferences with scripted answers meant to say nothing.

Then they shouldn’t have an old list then. If they aren’t primed to perform in September then there’s something seriously wrong.
You can't plan for injury Duncan and Clark and no one expected Hawkins to have yet another moment that
can only lead to regret. Carlton had a similar issue with the Eddie Betts scenario to the Gary Ablett coming
home, not that I am comparing the two players or situations. Geelong should have won the flag just as
Richmond should have won in 2018, but the timing of the season conspired against them both in similar
ways. I agree with you a little in that Geelong got the balance wrong, 1,462 points conceded was the best
performance ever dating back to 1990, but 1,984 points for had been bettered a staggering 23 x times
since 1990. To use an analogy if a team manages to knock the Geelong truck into neutral can the said
truck be put back into gear if you take away two of the key gears after half time.

You can't plan for injury Duncan and Clark and no one expected Hawkins to have yet another moment that
can only lead to regret. Carlton had a similar issue with the Eddie Betts scenario to the Gary Ablett coming
home, not that I am comparing the two players or situations. Geelong should have won the flag just as
Richmond should have won in 2018, but the timing of the season conspired against them both in similar
ways
. I agree with you a little in that Geelong got the balance wrong, 1,462 points conceded was the best
performance ever dating back to 1990, but 1,984 points for had been bettered a staggering 23 x times
since 1990. To use an analogy if a team manages to knock the Geelong truck into neutral can the said
truck be put back into gear if you take away two of the key gears after half time.

I don't think it's the timing of the season, it's just they couldn't perform when it mattered.

Richmond were clearly the best team in 2018 for most of the season, but spluttered badly in the Prelim final. There may have been legitimate queries on Martin and Astbury, but once you take the field, there are no excuses. They showed this year they'd learned from it, and atoned for it in the best possible way.

Geelong were the best team in 2019 for half the season, but there's no way they were the team to beat after the bye. Losing Duncan and Clark is no excuse, and Hawkins brought it on himself. Too many Geelong fans - especially where the coach is concerned - now have an endless well of excuses.

Mate, we had massive injuries at the start of the year, and had to adjust to having Rance out.

No slight on Hawkins, he gets a rough run around here from some, but I think he's a fine player. I would consider Rance a bigger out though.

With the outs you had, I think your compatriot is right, it was an error not to play Blicavs down back. I don't think it can be explained away, it was just a mistake.

The thing here is with Rance/Hawkins, the Tigers had all year to work out how to cover Rance. Cats had 1 week to sort out Hawkins

Richmond were clearly the best team in 2018 for most of the season, but spluttered badly in the Prelim final. There may have been legitimate queries on Martin and Astbury, but once you take the field, there are no excuses. They showed this year they'd learned from it, and atoned for it in the best possible way.
We were struggling the last 5-6 weeks of the regular season. Papering over cracks. We were cooked.

Beat a sub par Hawthorn to make it look ok. Pies going much better by PF time, clearly deserved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing here is with Rance/Hawkins, the Tigers had all year to work out how to cover Rance. Cats had 1 week to sort out Hawkins
It's still our best back, not there.

Even with Hawkins in, I don't think you win.

Especially not playing Blicavs on a wing.

You cannot judge a coach based on a few cut away shots when he is usually angry
and press conferences with scripted answers meant to say nothing.
No, but you can judge them on moves.

Leaving Rhys Stanley out against Magpies.

And playing a great defender like Blicavs on a wing when Richmond have 2 KPF's, that's on Scott.

Too many Geelong fans - especially where the coach is concerned - now have an endless well of excuses.

They sure do.

Some were saying issues lie squarely with the coach over 4 years ago.
There have been very little strategic and list changes since.

Most of the work is done during the week, including anticipating the counter moves the rival coach could use
during the game. Coaching moves are reserved for something that comes out of left field or to stifle an
opponent who is getting off the chain or having a period of statistical dominance. I would say coaches who
make the most moves have in fact prepared for the match up poorly. Until I know for sure why a move was
not made I refuse to be critical even if it seems logical for that move to be made at the time.

I don't like Chris Scott much, but I do respect his home and away coaching record.

Leaving Rhys Stanley out against Magpies.

And playing a great defender like Blicavs on a wing when Richmond have 2 KPF's, that's on Scott.

The coach can at least make things difficult for the opposition.

Scott does something different; he makes moves that clearly hinder us, clearly help the opposition, then his acolytes on here claim it's someone else's fault.

... and no one expected Hawkins to have yet another moment that
can only lead to regret.

no one expected?

Given his track record of borderline reportable offences, this was quite predictable, if not 'expected'. Which leads to the question...Why didn't someone (like, say, the head coach) tell him in no uncertain terms to pull his head in? There were plenty of chances, over several years, after all.

Sure, you can't make any guarantees it would have changed things in this one case, but the chances of reoccurence could (and should) have been reduced, improving his chances of being available.

no one expected?

Given his track record of borderline reportable offences, this was quite predictable, if not 'expected'. Which leads to the question...Why didn't someone (like, say, the head coach) tell him in no uncertain terms to pull his head in? There were plenty of chances, over several years, after all.

Sure, you can't make any guarantees it would have changed things in this one case, but the chances of reoccurence could (and should) have been reduced, improving his chances of being available.

Exactly.

If Hawkins stopped pretending to be a faux tough guy and concentrated on footy then he wouldn't do these stupid things. Same goes for Scott

no one expected?

And they say the Dinosaurs had small brains, Tomahawkasaurus who needs Jurassic Park they still live amongst
us to this day.

no one expected?

You don't think Hawkins has been counselled by the coach, teammates, club officials and the like? We give footballers too much credit on BF. Some are simply more prone to inexplicable brain fades. What Hawkins did in the SF was unforgivable. Some of what he did in previous games for which he got suspended was laughable and damn unlucky, e.g., the innocuous jumper punch.

As much as BF posters would like to sheet home blame to Chris Scott you can't blame the coach for Hawkins' brain fade in the SF

no one expected?

The lack of discipline from our senior players has been an issue for many years now.

You don't think Hawkins has been counselled by the coach, teammates, club officials and the like? We give footballers too much credit on BF. Some are simply more prone to inexplicable brain fades. What Hawkins did in the SF was unforgivable. Some of what he did in previous games for which he got suspended was laughable and damn unlucky, e.g., the innocuous jumper punch.

As much as BF posters would like to sheet home blame to Chris Scott you can't blame the coach for Hawkins' brain fade in the SF

Clearly he wasn't EFFECTIVELY counselled, and given that communicating with players is the coaches primary job, that's a pretty major omission.

What he got done for in previous games should have been the message...Right or wrong, they're watching you and will jump on anything you do, so you can't afford to push the boundaries.

Given Scott's usual (public) behavior, you can't help but wonder if the message was probably more along the line of complaints and excuses, which would have just given him license to continue.

Clearly he wasn't EFFECTIVELY counselled, and given that communicating with players is the coaches primary job, that's a pretty major omission.

What he got done for in previous games should have been the message...Right or wrong, they're watching you and will jump on anything you do, so you can't afford to push the boundaries.

Given Scott's usual (public) behavior, you can't help but wonder if the message was probably more along the line of complaints and excuses, which would have just given him license to continue.

This goes right back to Scarlett in 2012 when he smacked Ballantyne, to Steve Johnson's silly indiscretions in 2013, to Bartel, Kelly, and Selwood as well. Yet to see any evidence that they have changed anything.

This goes right back to Scarlett in 2012 when he smacked Ballantyne, to Steve Johnson's silly indiscretions in 2013, to Bartel, Kelly, and Selwood as well. Yet to see any evidence that they have changed anything.
It goes back way further than the current coach. Tom Hafey - with Ablett and Jackson. Blight could barely manage Ablett's over exuberance on the field. Then there was Mooney under Bomber. Wasn't he suspended multiple times in one season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back