Opinion Only three teams can win the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce didn't exactly set St Kilda alight, to be fair, which means the Doggie's forward line - their glaring weak point - is still pretty average. I'd say there's 6 teams in with a shot this year, in this order:

West Coast, Richmond, GWS, Brisbane, Geelong, Bulldogs, Collingwood. Carlton, Saints and Melbourne the big finals smokey's
Dogs had one of the strongest forward lines in the competition last year. Our defence is the glaring weak point, not forwards. In fact, we were the 3rd highest scoring team.

Silly to write so many teams off
I would agree that the teams you mentioned are best positioned to win the flag based off last years form but a lot changes over the pre season and during the season proper

in all seriousness I think 15 out of the 18 teams in the comp are a chance to win it’s just a matter Of if they can make it happen

nobody has the dogs winning in 2016 and likewise for Richmond in 2017

Pretty moronic to write off the giants and pies before a ball has even been bounced, both teams could easily make top 4.
it is his opinion. Pretty moronic to label someone moronic for their opinion that doesn’t fit yours. Back to the sandpit for name calling.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s still mathematically possible for 18 teams to win the flag, correct?
The issue is you haven’t let anyone know what your assessment was based on. Your second post mentioning Bruce and Keath isn’t an assessment, just a singular line of opinion.

I mentioned it is based on three things.... u did read that?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s still mathematically possible for 18 teams to win the flag, correct?

Mathematically yes ... BUT Essendon won’t

Think the OP wants to generate discussion for his own team by leaving them out

anyway, there’s more than three

tigers, eagles, cats, pies GWS and to a lesser extent the dogs..... but new seasons can dramatically change. Fremantle finished 13th last year, even they are a chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs had one of the strongest forward lines in the competition last year. Our defence is the glaring weak point, not forwards. In fact, we were the 3rd highest scoring team.

Bruce and Keath are brilliant acquisitions. If English kicks on hard to see a real weakness in your side.

Bruce and Keath are brilliant acquisitions. If English kicks on hard to see a real weakness in your side.
They definitely fill two of the most glaring holes in our list at this stage. I think a lot comes down to how much progression we can get from existing personnel. As it stands, in terms of the main weaknesses now in our list, we lack a polished user on the wing (Hunter and Hayes are great two-way runners, and Hunter one of our most reliable players for getting us out of trouble on the rebound, but both poor users of the ball - especially when entering F50), and still lack a proper small forward. There's a couple guys who could help fill that role, including Rhylee West and Ben Cavarra, but both those guys are very inexperienced (West with a couple games, Cavarra with none). Of course, we managed just fine up forward in the latter half of the year once everyone started to click and Bailey Dale emerged, so the wing is the more immediate concern for me

Think the OP wants to generate discussion for his own team by leaving them out

anyway, there’s more than three

tigers, eagles, cats, pies GWS and to a lesser extent the dogs..... but new seasons can dramatically change. Fremantle finished 13th last year, even they are a chance
Dogs finished 13th in 2015, premiers in 2016.
Tigers finished 13th in 2016, premiers in 2017.

It's only natural that since Freo finished 13th this year, they should be included in the discussion ;)

They definitely fill two of the most glaring holes in our list at this stage. I think a lot comes down to how much progression we can get from existing personnel. As it stands, in terms of the main weaknesses now in our list, we lack a polished user on the wing (Hunter and Hayes are great two-way runners, and Hunter one of our most reliable players for getting us out of trouble on the rebound, but both poor users of the ball - especially when entering F50), and still lack a proper small forward. There's a couple guys who could help fill that role, including Rhylee West and Ben Cavarra, but both those guys are very inexperienced (West with a couple games, Cavarra with none). Of course, we managed just fine up forward in the latter half of the year once everyone started to click and Bailey Dale emerged, so the wing is the more immediate concern for me

Keath and Bruce strike me as those Hawthorn type recruits like Hale or Brian Lake etc. Just the right player at the right time in the right spot.

I expect from better from a Sydney supporter when it comes to Rhyce.

You don't think he knows the North list isn't at the same level as Richmond\GWS\Brisbane\West Coast in terms of challenging for a Premiership in 2020?

No disrespect intended to Rhyce, but he can only play the team he's got

Willing to be wrong because there's no way I would've picked the Eagles or especially the Tigers but...

Gold Coast - no.
Adelaide - would be an all time rebuild job to lose so much in one season, no.
Melb, Carl, Syd, St Kilda, Freo, North - no. Could any of these sides make the 8 - yes. But they each have big deficiencies that leave them incredibly unlikely to win 3 or even 4 finals in September.

Port - come on....no. They have a lot of talent but why would it be the year that it suddenly clicks to such a degree that they go from mid ladder to flag?
Essendon - see above with Port, plus add in a coach change and injury riddled summer

Which leaves us back to the top 7 and Hawthorn.

Hawthorn - would be a shock. But they can produce a nasty backline with a Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard midfield and maybe Clarko finally renovates the forward line this year. Possible.
Geelong - can't have them higher than 7th best given they are ageing and lost Kelly.
Coll - a chance, but their midfield class is 32 year old Pendles and Sidebottom who's not old but has had a couple of excellent but unusual seasons.
West Coast, Bris, GWS- contenders.
Richmond - faves.

But hey, if you took Richmond out of the equation last year I think Brisbane could've won the flag they year after finishing with 5 wins. The Lions beat Geelong late in the season and were a bit of luck away from beating the Giants. 2nd-6th was very even last year and if the Tigers fall back to that group like they were for a large part of the year before hitting top gear then it could be very open. The Dogs well and truly deserved 2016 but a reason a result like that happens is because they other top sides aren't standouts.

it is his opinion. Pretty moronic to label someone moronic for their opinion that doesn’t fit yours. Back to the sandpit for name calling.

Err.. What. If someone's opinion was that Gold Coast will win the next 3 flags would you say that's a stupid opinion? Oh right... No you can't say that because it's his opinion... Brilliant.

Also I didn't call him a moron, I said that opinion was moronic, big difference. Smart people can say dumb things too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back