TV Rights

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
The 30min condensed replay is something the AFL needs to seriously do for all 9 games for fox footy channel

They started doing them on Kayo towards the end of the year. May have been in the On Demand section of Foxtel too...

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope they have a crack at securing rights to the FA Cup from the 3rd round stage onward. Not holding my breath though as the FA Cup isn't the competition it once was.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
All reports are that optus want to increase there content, so can see them take the rights to a lot more european football, and maybe other sports.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
A bit O/T, but Optus related...

Australian free-to-air commercial broadcaster Seven will team up with telco Optus to develop a channel to provide 4K ultra-high-definition coverage of next summer’s Olympic Games in Tokyo.

The channel will be made exclusively available to Optus 5G Home customers via IPTV provider Fetch’s Mighty set-top boxes.

The channel will showcase the best premium live events from Seven’s coverage of the Games, which will run from July 24 to August 9. Optus customers will be required to have a Fetch Mighty box with an active Fetch subscription, a 4K-ready television and an Optus 5G home broadband plan.

There will be both 4K and 8K production in place at Tokyo 2020. However, many public-service broadcasters with rights to the Games do not yet have a 4K channel on which to showcase the coverage.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
A bit O/T, but Optus related...

Australian free-to-air commercial broadcaster Seven will team up with telco Optus to develop a channel to provide 4K ultra-high-definition coverage of next summer’s Olympic Games in Tokyo.

The channel will be made exclusively available to Optus 5G Home customers via IPTV provider Fetch’s Mighty set-top boxes.

The channel will showcase the best premium live events from Seven’s coverage of the Games, which will run from July 24 to August 9. Optus customers will be required to have a Fetch Mighty box with an active Fetch subscription, a 4K-ready television and an Optus 5G home broadband plan.

There will be both 4K and 8K production in place at Tokyo 2020. However, many public-service broadcasters with rights to the Games do not yet have a 4K channel on which to showcase the coverage.

5G coverage is few and far between. I would actually go for it with an external antenna if it was available. My understanding is 5g signals are more affected by walls / building etc because of its frequency. Going to take hundreds of those "mini" towers to be installed before even capital cities get coverage. Both Telcos have plans for over 1000 of these towers but it is realistically going to be years before that happens.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
5G coverage is few and far between. I would actually go for it with an external antenna if it was available. My understanding is 5g signals are more affected by walls / building etc because of its frequency. Going to take hundreds of those "mini" towers to be installed before even capital cities get coverage. Both Telcos have plans for over 1000 of these towers but it is realistically going to be years before that happens.

Yeah not a fan of these restrictions...mainly because I’m not in a 5g area :p

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah not a fan of these restrictions...mainly because I’m not in a 5g area :p

I would actually take a 5g unlimited plan from Optus for $70 monthly if it was available. Telstra doesn't have a plan that good.

Only concern with 5g is online gaming. Is it suitable for it?

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Per Phil Rothfield's gossip column: ''In another blow for Australian soccer, Fox Sports wont’t bid to cover the final round of 2022 World Cup qualifying games. Optus may pick it up, but don’t have anywhere the same reach as Fox Sports and Kayo.
This is the first sign the departure of the Lowy family, CEO David Gallop and commercial boss Luke Bould will have an adverse effect.
Those who campaigned to get rid of the old FFA hierarchy now face the very real prospect of A-League clubs folding and the Socceroos brand suffering minus a great broadcast partner and the dollars that come with it.''

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Per Phil Rothfield's gossip column: ''In another blow for Australian soccer, Fox Sports wont’t bid to cover the final round of 2022 World Cup qualifying games. Optus may pick it up, but don’t have anywhere the same reach as Fox Sports and Kayo.
This is the first sign the departure of the Lowy family, CEO David Gallop and commercial boss Luke Bould will have an adverse effect.
Those who campaigned to get rid of the old FFA hierarchy now face the very real prospect of A-League clubs folding and the Socceroos brand suffering minus a great broadcast partner and the dollars that come with it.''
Im not sure how much of an affect the old ffa hierarchy leaving would actually have. Fox sports have openly said they need to slash costs and have been doing so, reportedly in some cases, with other sports. They dont have the rights to the current world cup round and what usually is the case is most games will be early in the morning aest. If optus picks up the rights it will be interesting but they have something like 700,000 active accounts which is quite a good number

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fwoy got an email from Foxtel saying no more Eurosport at the end of January. What a joke it is becoming!!!

I'm still on the $39 Basic HD / Sports deal, as soon as they try and bump it I'll cancel.

Yeah I saw that during the week.

also reading some tweets from UK re:Amazon today. Mixed reactions. Some liking it, some disappointed with the delay. Sounds familiar... :D

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
03qLdlv.jpg

Back