Top 3 games of the decade

I love the Mass Effect series, but I don't think any individual member of the trilogy can be considered on its own to be among the best. ME2 has serious failings that somehow get overlooked - maybe people didn't play the first one?
ME1 has a better main story and more RPG elements. However interface/game play was very clunky, side missions meh...and Mako mining was a chore.
ME2 had a mess of a main story, uninspiring gameplay and a massively descaled world to explore. But it had excellent side-quests around its characters, which take up the bulk of the game.
ME3 completely lost track of what the story was, had dumb characterisation and stopped you from exploring the world entirely. But its gameplay is fun.
I always treat all 3 like 1 big game. Makes it easier. Plus each one is lesser if you hadn't played the one before it. But I always had:
ME1 - Best story
ME2 - Best story telling
ME3 - Best gameplay. Had the best of the RPG systems and making pyro and biotic explosions is amazing

Might want to rephrase that, because the game with the best story necessarily has the best story telling. Best characterisation, perhaps?
I see what you are saying but I enjoyed ME1's story about stopping Saren better than stopping the Collectors in ME2 but I enjoyed the loyalty missions and side fluff a lot more. Maybe world building?

I see what you are saying but I enjoyed ME1's story about stopping Saren better than stopping the Collectors in ME2 but I enjoyed the loyalty missions and side fluff a lot more. Maybe world building?

Definitely not world-building. ME2 barely put any effort into that. ME2 is primarily character-driven, but we're not used to that being such a big element of a game we consider 'great', so it's hard to know what to call it.

Definitely not world-building. ME2 barely put any effort into that. ME2 is primarily character-driven, but we're not used to that being such a big element of a game we consider 'great', so it's hard to know what to call it.
There was some world building. ME2 did a wonderful heel-face turn with the Geth as we learned more about them but you could argue that is done through Legion. They also built up on Cerberus and the cultures of the Asari and Quarions for sure

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I love the Mass Effect series, but I don't think any individual member of the trilogy can be considered on its own to be among the best. ME2 has serious failings that somehow get overlooked - maybe people didn't play the first one?

When I made my list I considered the overall way I felt about the game after I'd played it. If you like, the impact it had on me. Not saying your way of looking at it is wrong but it's more the sum of the parts that does it for me.

Super Mario 64 will always be one of my favourite games for the same reason although it's got it's faults.

ME2 was in that sweet spot where I still had enough time to devote to a big game and I got into the individual character side quests and keeping them all alive. I enjoyed that part of it and the overall vibe of the game and it's what i remember.

There was some world building. ME2 did a wonderful heel-face turn with the Geth as we learned more about them but you could argue that is done through Legion. They also built up on Cerberus and the cultures of the Asari and Quarions for sure

They created Cerberus out of nowhere with no explanation and built on the world-building already created by ME1. Everything good about the world of ME2 and 3 was already established by 1.

When I made my list I considered the overall way I felt about the game after I'd played it. If you like, the impact it had on me. Not saying your way of looking at it is wrong but it's more the sum of the parts that does it for me.

Super Mario 64 will always be one of my favourite games for the same reason although it's got it's faults.

ME2 was in that sweet spot where I still had enough time to devote to a big game and I got into the individual character side quests and keeping them all alive. I enjoyed that part of it and the overall vibe of the game and it's what i remember.

Fair enough. Personally, I always struggle to figure out which out of 2 and 3 is more disappointing.

They created Cerberus out of nowhere with no explanation and built on the world-building already created by ME1. Everything good about the world of ME2 and 3 was already established by 1.
Cerberus was established with a whole side quest of ME1. I remember opening the manual for ME2 that had a bunch of pro-Cerberus things and thought "what the * I don't work for these campaigners"

Fair enough. Personally, I always struggle to figure out which out of 2 and 3 is more disappointing.
Just everything from starting priority Earth in 3. Could have been a universe wide suicide mission instead of a post-war London fight

Fair enough. In another post you said that you love the Mass effect series so maybe a love-hate relationship? :)
Most people have a love-hate with ME especially 3 haha

1st: Crusader Kings II
2nd: Mario Kart 8
3rd: Yakuza 0

Cerberus was established with a whole side quest of ME1. I remember opening the manual for ME2 that had a bunch of pro-Cerberus things and thought "what the fu** I don't work for these campaigners"

Yeah, but the Cerberus we were introduced to in 1 and the one we worked 'with' in 2 were not the same thing, other than their name. From memory, the devs stated at one point that one writer in particular was in love with the idea of the Cerberus we see in ME2/3, so that's why they went with it - they just pulled out the name of an organisation in 1 that they could transform into this enormous 'wet work' entity.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Someone else that plays EU4? :oops:

Yeah, I thought I was the only one on BF who does until I saw your posts in this thread, lol. Happy Wednesday!

EUWC.jpg

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Yeah, I thought I was the only one on BF who does until I saw your posts in this thread, lol. Happy Wednesday!

View attachment 809950
That screenshot contains 3 things I've never even attempted in my 1800 hours of playing the game.

I've never played as France, gone revolutionary or attempted a WC

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
For impact:

1. Minecraft - made gaming socially acceptable, educational, creative, etc
2. Candy Crush - made mobile gaming go big
3. League of Legends - made competitive gaming mainstream

HM: Hearthstone, Total War:Warhammer, Skyrim, GTA 5, Path of Exile, Pokemon Go

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2007
Sweep shots don't count
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
probably
Assume I’m too late but:

1. Borderlands 2
2. Skyrim
3. Throw a blanket over a bunch

I almost put Fallout 4 but ultimately, when it comes down to it - and I don’t mean this as an insult - it is a glorified Skyrim mod. Come at me if you disagree.

Also to the ME discussion - ME 1 is still by far the best. ME2 is a good game but essentially ME1 dumbed down - dumbed down gameplay, dumbed down RPG elements, dumbed down choice consequences, dumbed down dialogue. But I still played the crap out of it and would recommend it to newbies.

ME3 was better as it added a lot of the ME1 complexity back - but still kept some of the dumbness and a lot of the retconning was irreconcilable by then (not that it didn’t add its own silly ones). Also the ending, while not as bad as some made out, was meh.

I also prescribe to the ‘see it as one big game’ theory mentioned before.

funk44

Skookum Choocher
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I've barely played a game in 5 years and the blockbusters I got suckered into buying like Witcher, RDR's or Last of Us have been boring, shithouse or both, so...

Bioshock Infinite
Path of Exile
Portal 2 / Stories: Mel

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I've barely played a game in 5 years and the blockbusters I got suckered into buying like Witcher, RDR's or Last of Us have been boring, shithouse or both, so...

Bioshock Infinite
Path of Exile
Portal 2 / Stories: Mel

Unpopular opinion. I still haven't finished Witcher 3 or The Last of Us. Neither really grabbed me.

I do plan on getting through them eventually.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
i don't really like assassins creed, the last of us, god of war, tomb raider, uncharted, red dead and many more but witcher 1-3 is some real *en good s**t

Back