List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to caveat opinions with - so much depends on injuries! But we look pretty well balanced, with a good mix of experience and youthful enthusiasm. Last year exposed some of the younger guys (Taranto, Hopper, Taylor) to important roles (rather than just support roles) that they handled with aplomb. Some fringe guys stepped up (Finlayson, Daniels). Provided most of our players can hold those gains, and if we can get a fillip from younger players such as Ash & Caldwell, plus integrate Sauce Jacobs into the ruck, then we can be as good as any team. Exciting to see how we go!

Have to caveat opinions with - so much depends on injuries! But we look pretty well balanced, with a good mix of experience and youthful enthusiasm. Last year exposed some of the younger guys (Taranto, Hopper, Taylor) to important roles (rather than just support roles) that they handled with aplomb. Some fringe guys stepped up (Finlayson, Daniels). Provided most of our players can hold those gains, and if we can get a fillip from younger players such as Ash & Caldwell, plus integrate Sauce Jacobs into the ruck, then we can be as good as any team. Exciting to see how we go!
I agree, this season probably has the best list we have ever put on the field and the age profile is just right. So much depends on keeping the list on the field! Here is hoping our injury and
Football department come to the party in 2020.
Does anyone have any details about the changes we have made to this part of the club for 2020?

G’day guys. Genuine question, and asking here as I don’t want to get in to the trolling that occurs on the trade board.

Do you guys believe you have the cap space to re-sign both Finlayson and Williams?

If not, who do you believe the club prioritises?

G’day guys. Genuine question, and asking here as I don’t want to get in to the trolling that occurs on the trade board.

Do you guys believe you have the cap space to re-sign both Finlayson and Williams?

If not, who do you believe the club prioritises?

Look at the way Zac Williams tore into the 3rd quarter of the Prelim. He is a gun, and we'd have to make every effort to keep hm.

Look at the way Zac Williams tore into the 3rd quarter of the Prelim. He is a gun, and we'd have to make every effort to keep hm.
Thanks for the question briztoon, following up from gee whiz, Zac will be a priority.
Both Jezza and Zac will both be given the time they need but will be the clubs big focus for 2020.

I think the drafting of Riccardi will put alot of well needed pressure on Finlayson and Himmelberg to lesser extent, which we didn't have last season with the club and Patton looking after his body for the cap dump to the Hawks

Thanks for the question briztoon, following up from gee whiz, Zac will be a priority.
Both Jezza and Zac will both be given the time they need but will be the clubs big focus for 2020.

I think the drafting of Riccardi will put alot of well needed pressure on Finlayson and Himmelberg to lesser extent, which we didn't have last season with the club and Patton looking after his body for the cap dump to the Hawks
Thanks for the reply Callums_Guns. I figured the drafting of Riccardi was an insurance policy for Finlayson possibly leaving.

Did Finlayson get any offers when we let him look around?

I wouldn’t be too upset if he left but theres a bit to that story :tearsofjoy:

We didn’t just let him “look around” - we actively shopped him - and not a nibble.

Nobody wanted him in his draft year (which is why he came to us at pick 85) and nobody wanted him when he was shopped in 2018. Then 2019 happened. Who knows what will happen next trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a very compelling reason that we wouldn't break the bank for Finlayson. Here's a list of names:
  • Finlayson - 44.25
  • Patton - 45.23 (behind Cameron and Greene)
  • Johnson - 46.26
  • Palmer/Stewart - 33.28
  • Hoskin-Elliott - 23.20
And you can probably throw McCarthy and his 35 goals in there as well as Lobb with his 29.

Basically we don't overpay our third and fourth forward options when they come out of contract, which generally means someone else will pounce and offer them more. This makes sense to me - when Cameron and Greene (and Cameron and Patton before Greene) suck up so much of the defensive attention, there will always be more room for others to kick impressive goal totals.

Williams brings something relatively unique to the team with his space and elusiveness, behind only Whitfield. Finlayson is the latest in a long list of guys who have kicked relatively impressive goal totals as each slots in in their turn.

What's everyone thoughts on the three 2nd year mids? Hately, Caldwell and O'Hallaran - how would you rank them?

I'd have

1. Caldwell
2. Hately
3. O'Hallaran

There's talks of Hately going back to Adelaide. Not too fussed if that's the case since we have Green coming up and O'Hallaran who gets good wraps too.

What's everyone thoughts on the three 2nd year mids? Hately, Caldwell and O'Hallaran - how would you rank them?

I'd have

1. Caldwell
2. Hately
3. O'Hallaran

There's talks of Hately going back to Adelaide. Not too fussed if that's the case since we have Green coming up and O'Hallaran who gets good wraps too.
Based on (1) the pre-season reports, (2) games played in 2019 & (3) draft potential/buzz, I'd agree with the above ranking at this point ... but need to see them on the field this season to get a better feel.

WRT Hately potentially going home, we've seen in the last several years that we've survived players departing, and for good players tend to get reasonable compensation. So I'm not going to worry too much if he does. Great if he stays ... unless someone else then leaves!

I'd have

1. Caldwell
2. Hately
3. O'Hallaran

From their draft year:

Jye Caldwell – Inside Midfielder

With the GIANTS’ first selection in the National AFL Draft, they pounced on Vic Country co-captain and inside midfielder, Jye Caldwell. While he loves winning the ball at the coalface, Caldwell also has the athleticism, class and skill to hurt opposition sides on the outside as well. A natural born leader, Caldwell is a player who while he has had his troubles with injuries, will always contribute to the team. His upside is as high as anyone else in the draft, and could slot into a midfield role or up forward, or even down back if required such is the high calibre of his skills and speed.

Jackson Hately – Balanced Midfielder

A really consistent performer, Hately is underrated in this year’s draft despite being an AFL Academy member. He can win the ball on the inside or outside, go forward and kick goals or find space around the ground. He uses the ball well by hand or foot, extracts it out of a stoppage and can penetrate beyond 50m. Another natural leader, Hately is a readymade midfielder who has played senior football with Central District’s League side this year. With the midfielders lost to the GIANTS this off-season, Hately and Caldwell could both slot into that Dylan Shiel-Tom Scully dynamic.

Xavier O’Halloran – Inside Midfielder

An elite athlete, O’Halloran was chosen as Vic Metro’s captain ahead of a number of worthy players. His leadership speaks for itself, but his impact on the field is also as influential as any others. He has terrific speed, agility and endurance which makes him a damaging player around the ground. He was a surprise first round selection after not being invited to the draft, but was always around the mark and the GIANTS showed clear interest in the midfielder. He can also play forward and take contested grabs, with his goal sense quite impressive as well.

I am a big fan of XO, I think he has a Joey or Dal feel about him

The positive is that after a few years of “trading out our depth” we now have guys like the 3 mentioned as well as Langdon Hill Perryman Ash Green who could all step up and play their part

The positive is that after a few years of “trading out our depth” we now have guys like the 3 mentioned as well as Langdon Hill Perryman Ash Green who could all step up and play their part
Great point. Last year we were perhaps a little light for depth and when injuries struck (dah we are the giants... this happens every year) we struggled.

This year that may not be the case and when the opportunities come, there will be good competition for those spots.

However, in the next two years I can see that depth continue to turn over... its a reality our supporters struggle with i think

I wonder if the supplementary draft gets announced today by Hocking or takes the weekend to finish off the rules for it

If no club has reserves playing they have full list of players to pick from including rookies etc

I really don't see a point, just adds more $$$ to be spent and if 1 player goes down with the virus it gets shut down anyway

Not related but as there's quite a few GWS watchers here...

Due to the AFL delay, we are hosting a simulated version of the season, starting this weekend. Full details in the following link:

The first match for GWS is against Essendon, and the e-Match thread has been set up:

Would be great to get a good amount of banter, mocking our clean opponents. And if you want to get involved at any point, let myself or Callums_Guns know!

So along with Cameron and Williams, Corr is also a free agent and got to say was very surprised to see he is in the 25 per cent paid players at the club.

Fair chance we've been clever there given that surprise - low annual salary cap impact, but backended to get him into the top 25% this year. I know the reverse has caught clubs out in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back