Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like the leadership group. Feels like the players genuinely picked who they wanted and the club approved it without changes.
By my reading of the article it was Nicks’s decision

“In regards to Taylor and Daniel, the feedback from their peers suggested they both could have been included in the leadership group but we have decided it is time to transition and provide leadership opportunities to others.

“They were supportive of the decision and are highly respected members of the playing group, and will continue to provide guidance and advice across the football program.”

https://www.afc.com.au/news/555633

Interesting choices regarding the leadership group. Don't mind having a smaller group or Doedee as a younger representative, but the inclusion of Smith was a bit of a surprise. I expect both Talia and Tex will continue to provide leadership at opposites ends of the ground regardless of being in the group or not.

Interesting choices regarding the leadership group. Don't mind having a smaller group or Doedee as a younger representative, but the inclusion of Smith was a bit of a surprise. I expect both Talia and Tex will continue to provide leadership at opposites ends of the ground regardless of being in the group or not.
Talia has always been clear on his thoughts. Not sure when he last he was in the leadership group, or ever a consistent member

So, Rory's first game as stand alone skipper is also his 200th match.

Fair to say if we can't get up for that game, we might as well pack it in.

Not meaning to be a downer, happy with the leadership group, but was anyone else a bit underwhelmed by Nicks in that video?

Seemed a bit hesitant and kept saying “right?” at the end of each sentence, as if he was trying to convince everyone

Just a thought
I heard “alright?”, which seems like a throwaway word to link dialogues. Like “ok?”, “are we cool?”

I don’t think he’s trying to convince the players, because the voting is player-driven. The new leaders are basically in line with the new direction the club is heading over this preseason - rebuilding and reconfiguring.

Well done Sloane on sole Captain. I'm happy with the leadership group. It shows the club is moving in a new direction which it must. Happy with everything I've heard out of nicks so far. Just want to see it at selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Sloane on soul Captain. I'm happy with the leadership group. It shows the club is moving in a new direction which it must. Happy with everything I've heard out of nicks so far. Just want to see it at selection.
FIFY

If he's actually like Sando we should be in for a good year. It's 2021/22 that will be bad.
The club needs to build trust with its supporter base, they lost it with the capitulation in the GF and subsequent seasons.
Fans will continue to have a negative attitude until they see results, but the reality is the only thing that will satisfy us is a premeirship, and that just isn't happening any time soon.

Good article on the new leaders in Smith and Doedee and to give us some perspective:
I think their recent knee injuries had played a part in why they were chosen as new leaders. The article and the interview talked about their involvement with others during SANFL games or off-field bonding during their injury recuperation.

I wonder why our players see Matt Crouch as a leader but not Brad?

Brad always sounds a lot more confident and relaxed than Matt whenever they have them on the radio. Matt tows the company line but always comes across as a bit nervous.

If he's actually like Sando we should be in for a good year. It's 2021/22 that will be bad.

I know I'd probably get carried away and enjoy the ride if we came and bounced back next year but I'm kind of hoping we don't, it's happened multiple times before and never resulted in a sustained period in the top 4.

I'm afraid that if we show too much improvement we'll fall back to believing our own hype and not continue the changes we need to really have a dominant era.

We go to crap again in a couple of years and everyone is in survival mode.

Back