Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The BBL crowds this season have dropped a lot according to an article in The Age today.

"There has been an average of 17,921 fans across the first 46 games of BBL09, down 11.5 per cent on the corresponding stage of the 2018/19 edition, and 12.8 per cent overall.
While some may use the dip in turnouts to attack the BBL, the league has still dragged more than 800,000 fans to a domestic competition - numbers which would be the envy of summer rivals the A-League and the National Basketball League. "
Last night I had a look at 2016-17 BBL season, the peak season, when each side played 8 games, 4 home and 4 away and they only used 8 ovals/stadiums by the 8 teams in 6 cities.

Crowds for the 32 preliminary games were 977,0722 for an average of 30,534 which I'm sure put the BBL inside the top 10 average for domestic league crowds around the world for 2017. The 3 finals had crowds of 35,116 at the Gabba, and 2 at the WACA of 19,997 and 21,832 took total crowds to 1,054,017 and average 30,115

Whilst the move from the WACA has helped the Scorchers average go from 20k to 30k, its not as big a jump as they hoped for, the 8 teams are now playing games at 15 ovals/stadiums in 13 towns and cities, most alternative ovals are smaller capacity, plus having 24 more minor round games has had an impact of more meaningless games being played, and this year there seem to be more games affected by rain intervening, and the bushfires has impacted on 2 games being no results, although not sure if the game at Moe has been rescheduled.

Bottom line, if they average 20k in a 56 game season + 5 finals now, then total crowds are up and they have spread the reach of the game to Canberra, Launceston, Geelong, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Alice Springs and Moe compared to the peak average crowd of 30k in 2016-17 season.

Last edited:
The BBL was better and more fun when it was state based! Myself and I'm sure a lot of others just can't get invested or emotionally attached to these franchises. Sure I'll watch for a period but the care factor who wins or loses is meh..
????

The BBL was always a franchise comp and not state based from the first season in 2011-12. Look at the wiki page for that season, 8 teams in 6 cities, just like now, foreign imported players just like now, and players playing a different city to the sheffield shield team they played for, just like now.

The movement between states in 2011-12 season was a lot less than now, but not everyone played for a franchise in their home state.

The BBL was better and more fun when it was state based! Myself and I'm sure a lot of others just can't get invested or emotionally attached to these franchises. Sure I'll watch for a period but the care factor who wins or loses is meh..

Tried to get behind the Thunder in the beginning but couldn’t keep up the support.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

????

The BBL was always a franchise comp and not state based from the first season in 2011-12. Look at the wiki page for that season, 8 teams in 6 cities, just like now, foreign imported players just like now, and players playing a different city to the sheffield shield team they played for, just like now.

The movement between states in 2011-12 season was a lot less than now, but not everyone played for a franchise in their home state.

Yes sorry it wasn't called the BBL Just Big Bash T20 when it was state based, my bad.

Still stand by my statement through.

Yes sorry it wasn't called the BBL Just Big Bash T20 when it was state based, my bad.

Still stand by my statement through.
That was a hit and giggle comp that hardly anyone attended the first 4 years, before the cricket associations and Cricket Oz got their s**t together and the last 2 years pretty good.

But it took the IPL to be launched before Cricket Oz got serious about it for the last 2 years of the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash comp.

That was a hit and giggle comp that hardly anyone attended the first 4 years, before the cricket associations and Cricket Oz got their s**t together and the last 2 years pretty good.

But it took the IPL to be launched before Cricket Oz got serious about it for the last 2 years of the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash comp.

NSW won the 1st one and then won the World Champions League.

NSW won the 1st one and then won the World Champions League.

Victoria won the first one in 2005-06 then the 2nd and 3rd ones and NSW won the 4th one in 2008-09 and won Champions League in October 2009. That was the first official champions league as the 2008 one was cancelled due to bombings.

So this year will be getting more information and detail when it comes to TV viewership. VOZ will now be detailing regional ratings along with new reporting data when it comes to different platforms and devices. This new reporting will look to give a true national view of how content is consumed and its reach.

So this year will be getting more information and detail when it comes to TV viewership. VOZ will now be detailing regional ratings along with new reporting data when it comes to different platforms and devices. This new reporting will look to give a true national view of how content is consumed and its reach.

IF the data is public.

Victoria won the first one in 2005-06 then the 2nd and 3rd ones and NSW won the 4th one in 2008-09 and won Champions League in October 2009. That was the first official champions league as the 2008 one was cancelled due to bombings.

Couldn’t remember those, cheers for the heads up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The W League soccer got a paltry 828 at Newcastle last night!

I see they have been trying hide the poor crowds the W League get by playing double headers with the A League teams.

You often get fans of the other football codes being quite vociferous about womens footy being free entry, that being the only explanation why a game would attract 10,000 spectators.
These same people appear to be unperturbed about getting a game of womens soccer thrown in as an extra for the price of admission to mens soccer, and have trouble explaining why that might still only get 6 to 8k attending in total for the day.

So if you're getting 1,500 to a game, and the average ticket price is $10 (and that's optimistic), you're lucky to get $15,000 through the gate.
It's not worth it.
A small club like the Giants earns $200,000 in selling memberships for the womens team, even though it's free entry, and we're going to get a few thousand to a game.

Just watching Western Utd playing a home game at an AFL trraining ground, which actually looks like a training ground.
Looks miles sparser than a womens footy crowd, and you'd have to think that not too many have paid to get into this game.
5988 apparently.

Still that attendance wouldn't be enough to consider the western oval move a success.

5988 apparently.

Still that attendance wouldn't be enough to consider the western oval move a success.

I think they would be fairly pleased and that they will schedule more matches at VUWO in the future.

City attracted just 115 more and they are second on the ladder and have been around for 10 seasons and they have a terrific stadium both in terms of facilities and location.

WU's last match at Kardinia Park attracted 6020 and that was with free entry for all. Their prior non-Victory game there attracted 4187. At least today's game was in Melbourne where they intend to be based and comments I've read from those in attendance was that the atmosphere was much better than the much bigger KP.

I think they would be fairly pleased and that they will schedule more matches at VUWO in the future.

City attracted just 115 more and they are second on the ladder and have been around for 10 seasons and they have a terrific stadium both in terms of facilities and location.

WU's last match at Kardinia Park attracted 6020 and that was with free entry for all. Their prior non-Victory game there attracted 4187. At least today's game was in Melbourne where they intend to be based and comments I've read from those in attendance was that the atmosphere was much better than the much bigger KP.
Well the bar must be pretty low then if they are happy with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back