QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of recruiting players from the southern states ,, unless the player a club is looking at has been a good player at senior level in the higher standard comps you would not bother chasing them ,,, if they have been good players ( not stars ) in a minor level comp I can tell you now they wont be good enough to play seniors at QAFL level...
I wont say names but for example , PBC got a player from Mildura with a big reputation ,,, he shopped himself to us at Broady and Labrador ,,, PBC won his services and I think hes played about 10 senior games over the past 3 seasons ,,,,,Mildura is in the Sunraysia League and is a minor comp .
Another example was last season where Labrador recruited 2 guys from the Hume League near Albury . Another comp similiar to the Sunraysia league and these 2 guys had never played a game at senior level in the Ovens and Murray comp ......they are playing in the lower comp cause they get paid good dollars compared to being paid little dollars at reserve grade level in the Ovens and Murray.....End result ...neither played a senior game for Labrador ...

Yep spot on stuyd. Huge difference between the top leagues in vic and the lower leagues in vic. But like qafl to div 2/3 here.
The occasional gem in a lower league but mostly not.

As for Baxter my mail is that Grange have put in the strongest offer ( a good one a lot more than GC clubs) but he lives on the GC and clearly would prefer less travel. Therefore correct still weighing up his options. If you hold off I guess you can avoid some preseason running blocks too lol.

Yep spot on stuyd. Huge difference between the top leagues in vic and the lower leagues in vic. But like qafl to div 2/3 here.
The occasional gem in a lower league but mostly not.

As for Baxter my mail is that Grange have put in the strongest offer ( a good one a lot more than GC clubs) but he lives on the GC and clearly would prefer less travel. Therefore correct still weighing up his options. If you hold off I guess you can avoid some preseason running blocks too lol.
2010 Premier ,
thanks mate ,, you totally understand what im saying ... And just to ad one more for this season, be it Labrador again recruiting another player from the minor Hume league comp yet again who has a good reputation at that level but has never played at the nearby Ovens & Murray comp ,,, geez , A FELLOW POSTER MENTIONED A CLUBS DUE DILLIGENCE IN RECRUITING ,, but s**t ,, Labrador have gone down the same path again ...
Let me give you a example of good club due dillegence in recruiting from last season ,, be it Surfers Paradise......( and last year I posted on this forum that this player will be a gun performer ) The recruits name was Jack Yelland ,,, played for Berrigan in his youth in the Murray football league , played tac cup , played VFL seniors and was a strong player in this comp ... and what did he acheive here for Surfers ,, was aq gun and pivotal player to assist them to the premiership win ,, Now thats the difference in good recruiting ,,, without having tp pay megabucks in match payments ...
Clubs should tell guys like Josh Baxter he is 33 or so ,, has been a good player but not a star and at his age he will not be a match winner over a season like say Jack Yelland .... so heres what we are prepared to pay you ,,, if you dont like it see u later .... and The Grange ,, you are making a wrong decision if you wish to gain his services with the best bid ,, u have to be kidding ,,,

Fabian will be a very good pickup for the Grange lads, both on the field and culturally.

Never heard a bad word said about the bloke and he's a gun as well.

Thommo ,, whose Fabian ,, is that Baxters nickname ,, if so im not aware ,, sorry ,,, and I never bagged him as a person or his culture ,, in fact i commented he has been a good player ,, but at his age does he command to play clubs for the best match payments...I dont think so !!!!

We must take into account the footy club is a business ,,, so you must have the business operating thru the club personnel and their expertise .. correct ,, doi you agree !!!!
Like how much do you think it costs to operate the footy club per annum in the QAFL ,,, any idea !!!!
I tell you it costs 400k plus ,,,

We must take into account the footy club is a business ,,, so you must have the business operating thru the club personnel and their expertise .. correct ,, doi you agree !!!!
Like how much do you think it costs to operate the footy club per annum in the QAFL ,,, any idea !!!!
I tell you it costs 400k plus ,,,

Sorry ,, 300 k to 400k ,, from the entire operation of a club to stay afloat

Thommo ,, whose Fabian ,, is that Baxters nickname ,, if so im not aware ,, sorry ,,, and I never bagged him as a person or his culture ,, in fact i commented he has been a good player ,, but at his age does he command to play clubs for the best match payments...I dont think so !!!!
If it's Aaron Fabian from Sandgate then they really picked up a good one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's Aaron Fabian from Sandgate then they really picked up a good one
Agree. I thought he was centric to their game.
It's been very quiet about where the Sandgate players are heading. Are they splitting up? or going enmass somewhere?

Yes, referring to Aaron Fabian. Happy say we rung him and were very keen, but he informed us he's off to Grange.

Unsure where they are all going. Couldn't collecitvely go en masse anywhere as all 4 pointers.

Each club likely rung the ones that filled specific list holes and hoped for the best. We picked up a couple, missed out on a couple.

I beleive a bunch went to Redcliffe and it was the junior club for many of them. (that may have actually pre-dated the QAFL withdrawal)

Yes, referring to Aaron Fabian. Happy say we rung him and were very keen, but he informed us he's off to Grange.

Unsure where they are all going. Couldn't collecitvely go en masse anywhere as all 4 pointers.

Each club likely rung the ones that filled specific list holes and hoped for the best. We picked up a couple, missed out on a couple.

I beleive a bunch went to Redcliffe and it was the junior club for many of them. (that may have actually pre-dated the QAFL withdrawal)

Fabs is a quality player and even better person who is Sandgate through and through. With their withdrawal Grange are fortunate to gain his services as he had a multitude of suitors (Redcliffe included).

Yes, we have a couple as do Zillmere, Strathpine and even Coorparoo. The remainder, I believe, are split between NEAFL, Mt Gravatt and Sherwood.

2010 Premier ,
thanks mate ,, you totally understand what im saying ... And just to ad one more for this season, be it Labrador again recruiting another player from the minor Hume league comp yet again who has a good reputation at that level but has never played at the nearby Ovens & Murray comp ,,, geez , A FELLOW POSTER MENTIONED A CLUBS DUE DILLIGENCE IN RECRUITING ,, but s**t ,, Labrador have gone down the same path again ...
Let me give you a example of good club due dillegence in recruiting from last season ,, be it Surfers Paradise......( and last year I posted on this forum that this player will be a gun performer ) The recruits name was Jack Yelland ,,, played for Berrigan in his youth in the Murray football league , played tac cup , played VFL seniors and was a strong player in this comp ... and what did he acheive here for Surfers ,, was aq gun and pivotal player to assist them to the premiership win ,, Now thats the difference in good recruiting ,,, without having tp pay megabucks in match payments ...
Clubs should tell guys like Josh Baxter he is 33 or so ,, has been a good player but not a star and at his age he will not be a match winner over a season like say Jack Yelland .... so heres what we are prepared to pay you ,,, if you dont like it see u later .... and The Grange ,, you are making a wrong decision if you wish to gain his services with the best bid ,, u have to be kidding ,,,

Clubs would do well to identify kids not drafted from TAC and try to get them to move as they only attract 1 pt

Yes smy I remember hearing that also last year.Be a terrific get ! I’d think blokes like Tom Templeton, jai Fitzpatrick,Tom Baulch and will odwyer who are all on neafl lists from Noosa would be aligned with Maroochydore also if not playing for Aspley or Redlands

Baulch was primary listed with the Magpies in 2019, we just never saw him after about Round 3.

Far as I know, hes from Perth, not Noosa and will be aligned to us.

Or, you know, focus on developing local kids...?
Agree. Plenty of young talent in QLD. The Academy has its faults and advantages but imo there is still a long way for most of the kids after U18s to become good senior footballers....and they may still be a couple of years off that. If the message of the Academy was to produce good senior footballers at all of AFL, NEAFL & QAFL and not just AFL centric (which has a very low success rate) I think we'd have better retention and they may actually accept that at 18/19 some of the QAFL senior players may know a thing or two that isnt taught at the academy

Yep, we're very happy to have Aaron Fabian on board this year, even at this very early stage his leadership and character have stood out in addition to his obvious ability as a player.

Mitch Crawley has come over to Grange, as have a couple of very talented juniors in Shatna Cashen-Harris and Kuot Thok who both played some senior footy last year for Sandgate. Fabian's presence could still result in a couple of other good young blokes registering with us, but we'll have to wait and see.

We wanted Ben Hogan but unfortunately he took an offer from Coorparoo instead.

I understand that the Harding brothers have gone to Mt Gravatt.

Or, you know, focus on developing local kids...?

Which is great in an ideal world but developing a kid who has missed their opportunity from TAC level, getting them to be a regular (good) senior player at QAFL level, move into NEAFL and possibly get drafted from there is reasonably rewarding as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back