News The 2020. Let's get (vicariously) jacked! The Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You really can't deny the problem that exists, where we have an abundance of accumulators, yet a distinct lack of speed running through the midfield. I can definitely see Bont's spot being at risk if he doesn't address his lack of foot speed, with someone much quicker like Lin Jong coming in to replace him. Will give our midfield that dynamic edge
Jong just read this post. He's currently sweating bullets.

EO77awsUYAEaPG0

To be honest I've got a feeling we will see Keith and Young as our KPDs in a few games. I think Bevo has lost patience with Trengove and Zane will never be an A-grader.

come off it Scrag , Your not a A grader on here either , but you have a bit of s—- in you , that’s what Zordy gives us.
you and him have a lot in common 😜

You really can't deny the problem that exists, where we have an abundance of accumulators, yet a distinct lack of speed running through the midfield. I can definitely see Bont's spot being at risk if he doesn't address his lack of foot speed, with someone much quicker like Lin Jong coming in to replace him. Will give our midfield that dynamic edge

Jong's burst speed and the way he can accelerate out of congestion reminds me a lot of peak Dangerfield. If he could get his hands on the footy and had better skills and decision making he would be unstoppable.

I think it is fantastic, just shows how good our depth has become
No knock on you Mojo, but Dec-January is traditionally "how good is our depth!" season. We say it every year around this time and I suspect it would be the same on most other club's boards.

This year I agree it's very hard to name the first 22. But is that depth or evenness?
I honestly don't know. I'd certainly like to think it's the former.

I do think our list is in good shape. Still has weaknesses but it's got other clubs and some of the independents (eg Champion Data) sitting up and paying attention.

My crystal ball prediction is that English will command a grundy type deal. Maybe not next contact but definitely the one after.
I'd rather he signs on long term prior to an absolute explosion in form. Bit like how Naughton extended by 4 years just three weeks before that Richmond game.

No knock on you Mojo, but Dec-January is traditionally "how good is our depth!" season. We say it every year around this time and I suspect it would be the same on most other club's boards.

This year I agree it's very hard to name the first 22. But is that depth or evenness?
I honestly don't know. I'd certainly like to think it's the former.

I do think our list is in good shape. Still has weaknesses but it's got other clubs and some of the independents (eg Champion Data) sitting up and paying attention.
Could be evenness or even lack of team balance.
Personally I think we have great depth, especially in the middle and forward line (minus pressure forward)
My biggest concern is still outside class/polish and spread aswell as playing midfielders out of position just to get them on the field.
God forbid If we were to get an injury down back we could swing naughton back and still have Bruce and schache up forward. Same goes up forward. Inside mid and half back/3rd tall we have quality waiting in the vfl. But an injury to someone like Hunter or JJ leaves us very bare and vanilla. So too does the lack of a genuine small forward.
I'll shut up now off season is driving me to repeat myself and none of it even matters until the first ball is bounced

Would definitely have me on the edge of my seat atleast

Is anyone else seriously excited about Bailey Dale? I reckon he's gonna get off the leash this year and will be a smokey for the All Australian squad.
Really like what he brings to the team: pace, leading and generally accurate goal kicking. There's no doubt though that he caught some teams off- guard last season and there will be a lot more attention paid to him in the coming season. If he can deal with this he will be a great asset indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really like what he brings to the team: pace, leading and generally accurate goal kicking. There's no doubt though that he caught some teams off- guard last season and there will be a lot more attention paid to him in the coming season. If he can deal with this he will be a great asset indeed.
It is going to be hard to contain him after Naughts, Bruce & Schache take the first three defenders. He is a difficult match up as he has pace and can mark, a bit like a Bruest

To be honest I've got a feeling we will see Keith and Young as our KPDs in a few games. I think Bevo has lost patience with Trengove and Zane will never be an A-grader.
Keith and Young both play better as interceptors, Cordy plays better on mobile types.

With Moz gone Trengove is our only real lockdown type. KPDs are still the biggest question for me, Keath is a lock and the MC love Cordy's competitiveness but the final positions aren't settled.

KPDs are still the biggest question for me, Keath is a lock and the MC love Cordy's competitiveness but the final positions aren't settled.
B: Wood, Naughton, Cordy
HB: Suckling, Keath, Crozier

Gives us sound defensive integrity, I am shifting constantly at the moment I combine that with the
forward end of:

HF: Lipinski, Schache, Lloyd
F: Dale, Bruce, Bontempelli

With the potential of Ugle-Hagan coming in next year as a lighter flanker type initially starts to
get the juices flowing a little.

B: Wood, Naughton, Cordy
HB: Suckling, Keath, Crozier

Gives us sound defensive integrity
Who runs the ball out of defence? I suspect the MC will want one of JJ or Daniel there. Naughton is set to play forward again from interviews.

Who runs the ball out of defence? I suspect the MC will want one of JJ or Daniel there. Naughton is set to play forward again from interviews.
You can take the Richmond approach with Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad as the structure and Houli,
Short and Baker as the transition or connecting types. So our transition players JJ, Daniel can start
wing or even bench and roll back as the +1 when the game is in motion. I think how the forward line
gels with Naughton, Bruce and Schache is a mystery like the pyramids because it is so not the Dogs
in recent years. The two in (Bruce and Keath) and two out is fascinating and troubling potentially.

Anyone else sensing a Griffen 08 esque explosion from Ed Richards in 2020? faaaark he’s good in all good pre season footage I’ve seen.
Yeah he's looked really good in the limited footage I've seen, I'm hoping it's a sign of a turnaround this year
Do we know where they’re thinking of playing him?
The limited footage I've watched has almost always shown him in defence (or surrounded by forwards) so fingers crossed that he'll be back on the half back flank. Who knows though

Anyone else sensing a Griffen 08 esque explosion from Ed Richards in 2020? faaaark he’s good in all good pre season footage I’ve seen.

With all the excitement of our midfield development, adding Keath to our backline and Bruce to the forward line, I’d forgotten all about him. If he can step his development up & we can use his qualities like pace & kicking to our forwards & hitting them on the tit more often, that would be amazing :hearteyes:

Interesting, Fergus starts off forward in this video but is also trying to spoil English's mark with the defenders. Might be a bit of a wing role for him.
Also I know it's not 100% reliable, but it looks like the white jumpers are generally the more senior players, while blue jumpers are the "seconds". That's with the exception of Greene + Gowers in White, and English, Dale + Bruce in Blue (plus maybe Schache). Good that there's a bit more of a spread of talent between the two sides in match sims, as I know that many clubs tend to just put their whole best 22 in one side, and their seconds in the other

WHITE
Bont
JJ
Greene
Gowers
Wallis
B. Smith
R. Smith
Cordy
Dickson
Crozier
Williams