Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm comfortable Cunnington and Higgins are superior players without a statistical comparison.

The other 2 would be interesting studies.

But the selection of Simpson was someone who played in 2 premierships and was far from a star, especially at the time of the flags.
So you’re telling me you don’t have to be a star to win premierships and have a fantastic football career?
I don’t believe you..

I'm comfortable Cunnington and Higgins are superior players without a statistical comparison.

The other 2 would be interesting studies.

But the selection of Simpson was someone who played in 2 premierships and was far from a star, especially at the time of the flags.
the point is, Trent could be anything. He runs fricking hard, he's hard at the ball (and the player), he's got tidy skills and a very good footy brain. I've seen 1st hand how he carved it up in an SANFL GF as a 17 year old.

Not to mention the fact he had a bullshit if quite serious charge and court case hanging over his head for a long time.

THat was his wake up moment.
He won’t get the media of some but in affect Trent Is our new sam Gibson but with great skills.
INternally rated but externally not.

Great skills?

Just bounce the ball already, this is getting ridiculous.

He is half as good as Prestia and about 1/5th as good as JSquibo.

Comparing to Simmo, people have short memories, the day Trent single handedly takes on one of the greatest midfields ever assembled and wins the game for us with 44 (?) on their own dung pile will be cause for celebration.

I personally don’t see it happening.

Good luck to the kid, hopefully he gets more dangerous and kicks 20+ goals.

You're serious? Really?

The impression I have received about Trent is that he would be embarrassed by some of the pumping up he has received around here.

He's a good honest battler. That's it.

Plenty of good honest battlers win best and fairests snake. Plenty of them have won BnF’s at north when we’ve been playing finals. Consistency is what wins the award and he has been consistent over the past 3 seasons.

He isn’t a world beater, I’ve never argued that he is, but he plays his role selflessly and allows others to shine. The same way guys like Brady Rawlings, Adam Simpson and co simply played their role.

It’s okay to admit that you can’t see the value in what he does week in week out.

Great skills?

Just bounce the ball already, this is getting ridiculous.

He is half as good as Prestia and about 1/5th as good as JSquibo.

Comparing to Simmo, people have short memories, the day Trent single handedly takes on one of the greatest midfields ever assembled and wins the game for us with 44 (?) on their own dung pile will be cause for celebration.

I personally don’t see it happening.

Good luck to the kid, hopefully he gets more dangerous and kicks 20+ goals.
Our most overrated player, and an overrated game. Boomer noted, at the time, “Did he (have 44 possessions), it didn’t seem like it.” The relevance being effectiveness.

That said, the comparison isn’t a bad one, in terms of neither being players who tend to stand out to the broader football public - hell even Cunners doesn’t get sufficient recognition - and in Froggy’s case, by our own supporters. They also both have leadership traits.

Our most overrated player, and an overrated game. Boomer noted, at the time, “Did he (have 44 possessions), it didn’t seem like it.” The relevance being effectiveness.

That said, the comparison isn’t a bad one, in terms of neither being players who tend to stand out to the broader football public - hell even Cunners doesn’t get sufficient recognition - and in Froggy’s case, by our own supporters. They also both have leadership traits.

I’m not entirely sure Boomer saw any of that game due to his view being blocked by Ling’s ugly mug?!

Anyway, I think people are confusing Trent the footballer/person and Trent the wingman, I certainly don’t have a problem with him being in the side, however I simply can’t have him on the outside of a centre square combination which consists of Cunners and Ziebell.

Simpson was a gun, exceptional mark for a midfielder with an extraordinarily good football brain.

I certainly don’t have a problem with him being in the side, however I simply can’t have him on the outside of a centre square combination which consists of Cunners and Ziebell.
Anyone outside with these two has too much defensive work to do.
This is the exact reason why Trent is so valuable.

Wouldn’t someone who pushes back quicker be more valuable?

Or wouldn’t someone equally damaging by foot as say Polec be more valuable?

I’m not suggesting I know the answer here by any means but it strikes me as a conundrum as to what is more ‘valuable’.

If we are insisting on pushing Thomas, Simpkin, Ziebell, Garner and Zurhaar into the middle on occasion then I’d have thought he has a position rotating through deep forward replacing these guys as they enter the centre square rotations. Or even back to give Ahern or Williams a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t someone who pushes back quicker be more valuable?

Or wouldn’t someone equally damaging by foot as say Polec be more valuable?
Well, the coaches obviously thought Dumont was more valuable than Polec seeing he finished equal third in the b&f and Polec didn't make the top ten. But then what would the coaches know?

Well, the coaches obviously thought Dumont was more valuable than Polec seeing he finished equal third in the b&f and Polec didn't make the top ten. But then what would the coaches know?

SFA.

We’ve valued hard work over talent for too long. It’s basically the reason we haven’t competed for 2 decades.

Champion Data: (devises a player rating system that values contested ball and pressure)
West Coast fans and Andrew Gaff's Agent: Waah, this doesn't recognise the greatness of our guy!
CD: Fine, we'll make wingers a separate category so those guys who prance around in space all day look better.
North Melboune: * it, we're doubling down (puts a contested pressure player on the wing).

His best position is Cunners position but cunners is better at it obviously.
Would rather him in the middle before Jack as he’s more consistent, better two way runner and better user under pressure.

Can't see that personally. I think his direct contested work and ability to find space in close is one of his weaknesses. If I needed to replace Cunnington with a like for like player Ahern would be getting the nod (leaving aside others in the team as of end of year such as Simpkin).

Dumont has strengths, runs hard and smart. Neat kick, tidy enough hands - can't see him running an engine room as the playmaker full time. Reckon he would get swamped. Tough comparison though, Cunnington is pretty unique in today's game. In reality without Cunnington we wouldn't play another player in his role, we'd change tack completely.

His last few games of 2018 were s**t hot.

I felt like he took way too long this year to get to that form again, and I was surprised he did so well in the Syd.

If he's capable of stepping it up from that level he'll be a vital part of the team I reckon. Fingers crossed.

Flat out 100% agree with all of this. Willing to go the proverbial grain of salt given the s**t show that was the start of 2019. We had players that are guns looking like we'd chopped their other leg off under the dying regime. Dumont of 2018 (circa round 7-8 onwards) will be a massive asset.

Anyone have a breakdown of Trent's 2018-2019 1st half and 2nd half stats?

I checked the whole years a while back. From memory his 2019 was statistically better in most categories (metres gained being the main one to drop by). Not sure how you'd quickly break it into part seasons and not sure what those stats above tell you in the end given they're pretty close - possibly that his performances were largely the same and that he is a solid cog in the machine that will look better when the rest of the team are flying...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back