BBL BBL|09 Game 50: Hobart Hurricanes v Sydney Thunder @ Blundstone Arena 24th Jan 2020 6:10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly the lowest bbl crowd in Hobart since the earliest years.
8,468 at tonight's match.
Was the fifth lowest crowd at a 'Canes game in Hobart, it was quite a poor turnout.
Lowest was 5,681 on 22 December 2013 (BBL 3) when the match against the Strikers was washed out.
7,820 (BBL 1), 8,235 (BBL 8), 8,298 (BBL 1) were the others.

Crowds were very poor this season.
A total of 55,359 attended the seven home fixtures this edition at a miserable 7,908 average.
Blundstone Arena drew an average of only 9,842 for its four games, second lowest behind BBL 3 when a 9,551 average attended a 50% capacity stadium.
In Launceston a very poor 7,467 average attended their two fixtures giving the average attendance on Tasmanian soil of just 9,050 this edition.
Alice Springs' one "home" fixture drew 1,057.

Last edited:
Was the fifth lowest crowd at a 'Canes game in Hobart, it was quite a poor turnout.
Lowest was 5,681 on 22 December 2013 (BBL 3) when the match against the Strikers was washed out.

A total of 55,359 attended the seven home fixtures this edition at a miserable 7,908 average.
Blundstone Arena drew an average of only 9,842 for its four games, second lowest behind BBL 3 when a 9,551 average attended a 50% capacity stadium.
In Launceston a very poor 7,467 average attended their two fixtures giving the average attendance on Tasmanian soil of just 9,050 this edition.

And we knew this would happen. They cooked the goose that laid the golden eggs. No one needed the season extended... yet they did it at the behest of the broadcasters, and the crowds and product have suffered.

Blundstone crowds were steady this year compared to last, though with one less game. It has been elsewhere where the drop off is.

Blundstone crowds were steady this year compared to last, though with one less game. It has been elsewhere where the drop off is.
Last season at Blundstone the average crowd was 10,748 from six matches, including a final.
High of 12,920 and a low of 8,235.
UTas Stadium in Launceston had an average crowd of 13,145 for their two fixtures.
This season has seen a drop in average of 906 in Hobart matches, a walloping 5,678 drop in average in Launceston.
Somebody mentioned before, somewhere, that in Launceston there was very little General Admission seating available.
I sat in the Southern (David Boon) Stand tonight in GA ($23 a seat), and they only had about three blocks of seating available either side of the black tarps.
Noticeably, anybody that went to sit in these empty seats across the aisle were pounced on immediately by pesky security removing anyone from sitting there because it wasn't "General Admission" even though it was a few feet away, offered the very same view and were the same uncomfortable seats.
Meanwhile giant swathes of that stand remained empty.
And another thing while I'm at it, whoever runs the "matchday entertainment experience" needs poisoning.
We had to listen to these two absolute knobheads from a breakfast show on Hobart radio (Hit 100.9 or whatever it calls itself this month) that simply could not keep off the microphones boundary side, dribbling endless insane crap, trying to be funny but failing abysmally.
I literally wanted to ram two grey, HB lead pencils in each earhole to shut them up.
I was hoping a sniper might take them out but regrettably, they didn't.
And don't get me started on that stupid looking fish with googly eyes that looks like it should be wearing a red sweater, soiled underpants and participating in a Sunday afternoon tenpin bowling league, that they have as a mascot.
Maybe I'm just old and prefer the old school style of matchday experience!

Last season at Blundstone the average crowd was 10,748 from six matches, including a final.
High of 12,920 and a low of 8,235.
UTas Stadium in Launceston had an average crowd of 13,145 for their two fixtures.
This season has seen a drop in average of 906 in Hobart matches, a walloping 5,678 drop in average in Launceston.
Somebody mentioned before, somewhere, that in Launceston there was very little General Admission seating available.
I sat in the Southern (David Boon) Stand tonight in GA ($23 a seat), and they only had about three blocks of seating available either side of the black tarps.
Noticeably, anybody that went to sit in these empty seats across the aisle were pounced on immediately by pesky security removing anyone from sitting there because it wasn't "General Admission" even though it was a few feet away, offered the very same view and were the same uncomfortable seats.
Meanwhile giant swathes of that stand remained empty.
And another thing while I'm at it, whoever runs the "matchday entertainment experience" needs poisoning.
We had to listen to these two absolute knobheads from a breakfast show on Hobart radio (Hit 100.9 or whatever it calls itself this month) that simply could not keep off the microphones boundary side, dribbling endless insane crap, trying to be funny but failing abysmally.
I literally wanted to ram two grey, HB lead pencils in each earhole to shut them up.
I was hoping a sniper might take them out but regrettably, they didn't.
And don't get me started on that stupid looking fish with googly eyes that looks like it should be wearing a red sweater, soiled underpants and participating in a Sunday afternoon tenpin bowling league, that they have as a mascot.
Maybe I'm just old and prefer the old school style of matchday experience!
We were up in boon stand in GA as well and I said to kids that those 2 people sitting at very start of reserved seating would have paid $16 extra than the people 1 metre away next to them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back