• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The first weekend is here and the ground will be packed with 90-100K spectators. A lot of them probably won't watch much tennis. I might be the only person in Aus more interested in Svitolina/Mug than Nick, who will be the main headline act. Arrive very early if you want to watch that one in person. I feel sorry for the ushers at Melbourne Arena tmw. There are also 2 singles matches at 1573 Arena.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 26
Mostly sunny and nice
No rain

Rod Laver Arena
Pavlyuchenkova (30) v Pliskova (2)
Putintseva v Halep (4)
Nadal (1) v Carreno Busta (27)
NIGHT
Svitolina (5) v Muguruza
Medvedev (4) v Popyrin

Margaret Court Arena
Giorgi v Kerber (17)
Bencic (6) v Kontaveit (28)
Fritz (29) v Thiem (5)
NIGHT
Verdasco v Zverev (7)
Diyas v Bertens (9)

Melbourne Arena
Legends Doubles
Monfils (10) v Gulbis (Q)
Mertens (16) v Bellis
NIGHT
Kyrgios (23) v Khachanov (16)

The rest

The most shocking thing this AO so far has been the fact that Zverev has not played 5 sets yet. Only a matter of time. the Monfils v Gulbis game looks like it could be fun. I not going to make predictions after saying today that there wasn't going to be any shocks on RLA....But I am looking forward to Nadal v Nick on Aussie Day

Girls wise, I think most matches should be interesting and fun. Not a shock, it is the 3d round. I don't think RLA is ready for Putintseva.

Just for something different, here are the draws(in the spoiler tags so this post doesn't get too large). Something I have been wanting to look at more often now that we are nearly in the 2nd week

Nadal-Carreño
Kyrgios-Khachanov
Monfils-Gulbis
Fritz-Thiem

Medvedev-Popyrin
Isner-Wawrinka
Goffin-Rublev
Verdasco-Zverev

Sandgren-Fognini
Fucsovics-Federer/Millman

Raonic-Cilic
Schwartzman-Djokovic
Barty-Riske
Sakkari-Kvitova

Gauff-Kenin
Jabeur-Wang Q.

Bencic-Kontaveit
Vekic-Swiatek
Mertens-Bellis
Putintseva-Halep

Svitolina-Muguruza
Diyas-Bertens
Giorgi-Kerber
Pliskova-Pavs
My Match of the Day:
I think Khachanov has nothing left. Nick in 3 for me #poll

The first weekend is here and the ground will be packed with 90-100K spectators. A lot of them probably won't watch much tennis. I might be the only person in Aus more interested in Svitolina/Mug than Nick, who will be the main headline act. Arrive very early if you want to watch that one in person. I feel sorry for the ushers at Melbourne Arena tmw. There are also 2 singles matches at 1573 Arena.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 26
Mostly sunny and nice
No rain

Rod Laver Arena
Pavlyuchenkova (30) v Pliskova (2)
Putintseva v Halep (4)
Nadal (1) v Carreno Busta (27)
NIGHT
Svitolina (5) v Muguruza
Medvedev (4) v Popyrin

Margaret Court Arena
Giorgi v Kerber (17)
Bencic (6) v Kontaveit (28)
Fritz (29) v Thiem (5)
NIGHT
Verdasco v Zverev (7)
Diyas v Bertens (9)

Melbourne Arena
Legends Doubles
Monfils (10) v Gulbis (Q)
Mertens (16) v Bellis
NIGHT

The rest

The most shocking thing this AO so far has been the fact that Zverev has not played 5 sets yet. Only a matter of time. the Monfils v Gulbis game looks like it could be fun. I not going to make predictions after saying today that there wasn't going to be any shocks on RLA....But I am looking forward to Nadal v Nick on Aussie Day

Girls wise, I think most matches should be interesting and fun. Not a shock, it is the 3d round. I don't think RLA is ready for Putintseva.

Just for something different, here are the draws(in the spoiler tags so this post doesn't get too large). Something I have been wanting to look at more often now that we are nearly in the 2nd week

Nadal-Carreño
Kyrgios-Khachanov
Monfils-Gulbis
Fritz-Thiem

Medvedev-Popyrin
Isner-Wawrinka
Goffin-Rublev
Verdasco-Zverev

Sandgren-Fognini
Fucsovics-Federer/Millman

Raonic-Cilic
Schwartzman-Djokovic
Barty-Riske
Sakkari-Kvitova

Gauff-Kenin
Jabeur-Wang Q.

Bencic-Kontaveit
Vekic-Swiatek
Mertens-Bellis
Putintseva-Halep

Svitolina-Muguruza
Diyas-Bertens
Giorgi-Kerber
Pliskova-Pavs
My Match of the Day:
I think Khachanov has nothing left. Nick in 3 for me #poll

As brilliant as Khachanov's match was the other night I tend to agree, he seemed to be running on fumes.

There should be a cap on how many people they allow into the grounds on the middle Saturday. Over 100.000 last year I think on the same day.

I got reserved seats so I don’t care too much but I agree. Really feel for the staff at the doors.

Have to say though this arena is too small imo

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The number of people who attend the Australian Open to see Kyrgios is almost unmatched in the tournament history in my opinion. Bouchard at her peak and Mary Peice maybe two that go close.

Next year they will have the additional 5000 seat court which will help. Court three because of the shade has been popular, they need to do the same with the old court 2.

Hard to believe Pav is only 28.

She broker through on tour at a similiar time to Kerber.

Kerber stepped it up another level and Pav couldn't, never the fittest player going around but pretty talented.

Pav loves a good choke mentally she’s awful most of the time

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Ian Cohen back doing post match interviews :O ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back