Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, the pressure out there would be so great. Occasionally someone like John can cause an upset but it is rare that this type of scenario happens and it crushes everyone supporting that person if it doesn’t happen, bc it’s a miracle when it does happen but someone like Federer has been in tougher situations than tonight before and succeeded tbh that is what a champion like him does gets out of sticky situations. As I said it sometimes rarely happens that there’s an upset but not this time unfortunately. John needs to walk away from this and be proud. I am sure proud of him. Always will be. Good work.
So true. Just gutted that he was so close to winning. He was playing so well in that fifth set and even in that tie break. But thankful that we got to watch a close and exciting match and not a one sided match that could have been.

Millman is a journeyman tennis player whose never even won an ATP event versus Federer whose won 20 Grand Slams. Who do you think might have a bit more poise in a fifth set tiebreaker? If Millman had been smashed in straight sets as many predicted on here would that have been choking? What if he’d lost in four, is that a choke? Millman played his best tennis for most of the match and was beaten by a player who has won in the most pressured tennis situations time and again by two points and that is somehow a choke? Give me a break.
Millman had an 8-4 commanding lead, was dominating the rallies and even hit some important serves - then 6 errors in a row. He was good enough to be in that position against an ATG. That's a choke by any definition.

Nadal has Carreno Busta next then Kyrgios/Khachanov in fourth round. Djokovic plays Schwartzman.
Not easy opponents, at all.
Federer has Fusovics. Fed will demolish him knowing he has Fognini/Sandgren. Easy.
Tonight Millman had a chance to go to the quarters, even Semis with the draw. Gutted
Lots is possible.

Millman had an 8-4 commanding lead, was dominating the rallies and even hit some important serves - then 6 errors in a row. He was good enough to be in that position against an ATG. That's a choke by any definition.

No it’s not. It seems losing a close match is synonymous with choking for some people.

What part of "six errors in a row after being 8-4 up" don't you seem to understand?

Federer also choked from 40-15 last year.

What part of ‘lost in a fifth set tiebreaker’ don’t you understand? The match didn’t just consist of the last six points, the whole match was like that, full of momentum swings. Fed is a multiple GS champ precisely because he can prevail in such situations, especially against weaker and less experienced opposition. Before the match most people were giving Millman no chance, he takes it to five sets and because he loses he choked! Unbelievable. There is no pleasing some people.

What part of ‘lost in a fifth set tiebreaker’ don’t you understand? The match didn’t just consist of the last six points, the whole match was like that, full of momentum swings. Fed is a multiple GS champ precisely because he can prevail in such situations, especially against weaker and less experienced opposition. Before the match most people were giving Millman no chance, he takes it to five sets and because he loses he choked! Unbelievable. There is no pleasing some people.
Those last six points were the most important, though, dont dismiss it as some kind of momentum swing because those errors came under pressure despite the fact he was rocking it only a few minutes prior. That people "gave him no chance" is completely irrelevant. Fact of the matter is that he was in a winning position and fluffed it up. He had the match on his racquet. It was a textbook choke. Sorry if that seems to upset you, but facts don't care about your feelings.

Better for Barty though

Watch Kvitova lose to some Neville nobody now
Looks pretty likely now.
I was saying the same thing to my missus. Millman seems like a really nice humble bloke, he's an Aussie underdog and he's giving the greatest of all time a run for his money and the crowd are barracking for Federer? What's wrong with us. Federer has had enough success back the Aussie

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Shame Millman couldn’t get it done, probably has to do with the crowd.

Would be spewing if I had bought RLA tickets for tonight before the schedule and got Medvedev-Popyrin instead of Kyrgios-Khachanov.

I’m thrilled have Melbourne Arena tickets but yeah can’t believe the schedule

No it’s not. It seems losing a close match is synonymous with choking for some people.
Must say I always have a little chuckle when likely fat guys or pencil necks sitting from their couch love to throw around the choke label so easily on elite sportspeople.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from the win at the US Open he's taken sets off Roger before and usually wins fair share of games against the top players. I would expect him to get at least four games in one of the sets and winning a set is not out of the question.

Right on the money.

It looked like he got a little too confident in himself at the end there. Far too comfortable and loose.
Terrible choke in the tie-break, one of the great chances of his entire career gone.

He still banked 200k making it to the 3rd round :thumbsu:

Right on the money.

It looked like he got a little too confident in himself at the end there. Far too comfortable and loose.
Terrible choke in the tie-break, one of the great chances of his entire career gone.

He still banked 200k making it to the 3rd round :thumbsu:

Wasn’t a choke at all. I can’t stand Federer but he won that tie break Millman didn’t lose it from hitting unforced errors.

Wasn’t a choke at all. I can’t stand Federer but he won that tie break Millman didn’t lose it from hitting unforced errors.

He definitely tightened up when he had that double break lead. He had two unforced errors at 8-6, 8-7 handing Federer the momentum.

He definitely tightened up when he had that double break lead. He had two unforced errors at 8-6, 8-7 handing Federer the momentum.

Only one was unforced. The other was a forced error on the forehand side.

This isn't Davis Cup or ATP Cup or the Olympics. The players are pretty much representing themselves, nationality takes a backseat. It's nothing like a football team. I don't "barrack" for Australian tennis players (the last one I did was Rafter).
This. Tennis fans barrack for the player, not the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back