Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
17d1db73bd0159c99a0776503a977258.jpg

Grand Final. I’ll be busy..
why make it on the grand final day??? surely promoters are smart enough to atleast swap the dates with another city?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
No Adelaide. Not mad this time.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i think he’s back to performing live, metallica released a few live videos a couple of days ago from a concert this year
Nah still hasn't played yet, they're always releasing old videos. I think the ones you're talking about have been from over the last few years.
Has been completely silent about it actually since he went in. Will be interesting to hear him talk about it, what triggered it all etc.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
i think he’s back to performing live, metallica released a few live videos a couple of days ago from a concert this year

Not yet, they've got shows coming up later in the year.

SydneyBomber

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
******* tragic. Loved his work in Death, and really loved the first cynic album.
😥

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
******* tragic. Loved his work in Death, and really loved the first cynic album.
😥

Sad. Guessing either by his own hand or death by misadventure.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Missus is applying for her Italian dual citizenship (both of her parents were born there), turns out that I can eventually apply too as we've been defacto for nearly 10 years. Catch is those who aren't of Italian blood need to know the language to a B1 standard... how fast can someone learn a new language to be somewhat fluent in conversation even if they pay for a tutor? All I know how to do is swear haha. Serious question!!

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Missus is applying for her Italian dual citizenship (both of her parents were born there), turns out that I can eventually apply too as we've been defacto for nearly 10 years. Catch is those who aren't of Italian blood need to know the language to a B1 standard... how fast can someone learn a new language to be somewhat fluent in conversation even if they pay for a tutor? All I know how to do is swear haha. Serious question!!
Depends on languages you already know, how fast you learn individually, lots of factors really... I've been living in Switzerland for nearly a year now and still not anywhere near Fluent. Doesn't help they're speaking Swiss German here which can be very different to high German and is pretty useless outside of this particular region, it's quite funny, there's a lot of different dialects here, you can drive an hour or two in any direction and they'll probably be speaking differently and using different words and accents. I used Duolingo for 3 years doing Spanish and surprisingly found I can actually get by okay just from that (I work with a Spanish woman so I try to speak to her with it a bit). Maybe Spanish just comes a bit easier to me. No idea about Italian though.
Would highly recommend checking out Duolingo if you're just starting out and see how you go. I'm currently on a 1612 day streak... I actually find it pretty fun, it gets addictive.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Depends on languages you already know, how fast you learn individually, lots of factors really... I've been living in Switzerland for nearly a year now and still not anywhere near Fluent. Doesn't help they're speaking Swiss German here which can be very different to high German and is pretty useless outside of this particular region, it's quite funny, there's a lot of different dialects here, you can drive an hour or two in any direction and they'll probably be speaking differently and using different words and accents. I used Duolingo for 3 years doing Spanish and surprisingly found I can actually get by okay just from that (I work with a Spanish woman so I try to speak to her with it a bit). Maybe Spanish just comes a bit easier to me. No idea about Italian though.
Would highly recommend checking out Duolingo if you're just starting out and see how you go. I'm currently on a 1612 day streak... I actually find it pretty fun, it gets addictive.

I use Duolingo and Babbel for German. Haven't touched it in a few months though and it's mostly just to pick up the gist of things when I'm watching Bundesliga or watching/reading war stuff using source material. Because it's a solo thing I'm finding I can only really read German, but useless when it comes to speaking it. We thought it might be a great experience to maybe live and work in Italy for a year or two just for the experience and use it as a base to travel to other parts. I'm already drooling over all the festivals I might be able to get to.

My missus speaks Italian around her mum and nonna but it's an older dialect since before the country standardised more recently so she said she would take the classes with me and we'll try to speak it at home. Goal will be trying to carry a conversation with her 95 year old nonna who hardly speaks any English haha. Love her WW2 stories, so it will be good if I can understand them first hand without somebody translating.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Immerse yourself at home and do tutoring. Italian shouldn't be so hard if you apply yourself properly - the challenge will be putting yourself into the routine, making sure you study, not taking the easy path and using English, finding he time etc. Wish I had studied German or Italian rather than Japanese, probably be much more skilled by now. 笑笑。

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I use Duolingo and Babbel for German. Haven't touched it in a few months though and it's mostly just to pick up the gist of things when I'm watching Bundesliga or watching/reading war stuff using source material. Because it's a solo thing I'm finding I can only really read German, but useless when it comes to speaking it. We thought it might be a great experience to maybe live and work in Italy for a year or two just for the experience and use it as a base to travel to other parts. I'm already drooling over all the festivals I might be able to get to.

My missus speaks Italian around her mum and nonna but it's an older dialect since before the country standardised more recently so she said she would take the classes with me and we'll try to speak it at home. Goal will be trying to carry a conversation with her 95 year old nonna who hardly speaks any English haha. Love her WW2 stories, so it will be good if I can understand them first hand without somebody translating.

Hot Shower. You can take a heap of us from the board.....

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Immerse yourself at home and do tutoring. Italian shouldn't be so hard if you apply yourself properly - the challenge will be putting yourself into the routine, making sure you study, not taking the easy path and using English, finding he time etc. Wish I had studied German or Italian rather than Japanese, probably be much more skilled by now. 笑笑。

How fast did you pick up Japanese, considering it is pretty far removed from English? There is pretty considerable motivation here, so trying to get an idea how quickly as humanly possible it is to go from zero to not bad in another language. Up until about 12 months ago I would have only needed a travelers level of understanding, but they overhauled it, making it tougher for non Italian descendants even if their spouse has a passport. I guess it is in response to the wave of migrants from Africa and the middle east they have had recently. I understand and respect that though.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
How fast did you pick up Japanese, considering it is pretty far removed from English? There is pretty considerable motivation here, so trying to get an idea how quickly as humanly possible it is to go from zero to not bad in another language. Up until about 12 months ago I would have only needed a travelers level of understanding, but they overhauled it, making it tougher for non Italian descendants even if their spouse has a passport. I guess it is in response to the wave of migrants from Africa and the middle east they have had recently. I understand and respect that though.

My Japanese is pretty basic and I am half arsed but probably speak it daily. Never really sat down and looked to nail it and have 'studied' it on and off for some years. I think if I lived in Japan for a year I would be pretty decent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back