The 2020 Australia Day treason list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaving indigenous issues aside, I'll give some reasons for a possible date change.

It commemorates an event not performed by Australian. The French National Day is Bastille Day, when the French stormed the Bastille. US Independence Day Americans signed Declaration of Independence. Germans re-unified their nation on October 3rd, Canadians unified on Canada day. However Australia Day commemorates an event solely carried out by British sailors raising a British flag for British interests. The name "Australia" wasn't even in use at the time.

Was the event commemorating an important historical event like unification, federation, independence, liberation etc? No, it was the establishment of a prison. Hardly inspirational.

No other nation (I believe) signifies the day their colonisers first landed on their territory as their eventual national day.

As we see ourselves as "free" like our national anthem suggests, then why is the national day commemorating people transported here against their will for insanely minor offences?

January 26th was the founding of New South Wales. Not the Federation of Australia. That was January 1st. More appropriate days that have a total national significance include May 9 (first parliament sitting), December 1 (First Day of summer, Aussies enjoy that), September 1 (Wattle Day, first day of spring in southern hemisphere, signifies new growth, also fills gap in second half of year public holidays), 24 October (Tenterfield Oration, an event far more Aussies should be familiar with, also good second half of year public holiday).

One could argue we only become truly independent when breaking all links to the UK and the Monarchy and that day should be our eventual national day.

Maybe it should be a floating holiday permanently, like this year's public holiday on the Monday? Because Aussies probably want a long weekend at the end of summer school holidays. So if we are going to make it a floating date why attach any significance to the 26th? Just last week of January, Saturday have the Hottest 100, Sunday have the citizenship ceremonies and awards and Monday have the day off work.

Last edited:
Yeah lets have national hug day instead.

Better than celebrating the birth of a nation and the arrival of civilisation.

Bloody Romans, what did they ever do for us?
Thanks Andrew.

It's treason to not want a foreigner as head of state, it's treason to not want a foreign flag on our flag, it's treason to not want to honour the actions of a foreign power as they took over our land ... treason treason treason

I wouldn't have the slightest objection to the date of Australia Day being moved.

I don't know why those who are getting their knickers in a twist about the "issue" are so outraged to be honest.

Should we just abolish our third tier of Government, we are are overgoverned.

Everything they do could be replicated at state level.

Just empty our bins and whippersnip the parks.

Excellent article,

Says it all

"Understanding how toxic patriotism has become in Australia is essential to this challenge.

Patriotism that should be about a love of the land and people has become instead about a justification for bigotry and racism, about instilling hatred in the perceived “other”, and about providing a comfortable smokescreen for government looking after its own interests at the expense of the rest of us."

Course it is, although you are unable to back it up.

Another cut and run poster.

weak.

Don’t crack it just because you got called out. People stand to lose absolutely nothing if Australia Day is on another date.

The only change is it’ll recognise the grief it causes indigenous people and perhaps let them feel a little more valued.

Some people are against that even though they’re being asked to give up absolutely nothing. They just enjoy seeing indigenous people in their now traditional beaten-down position, and are totally opposed to anything that might change it - even just symbolically.

The thought of it obviously upsets or scares you. They’re your issues to work out.

Don’t crack it just because you got called out. People stand to lose absolutely nothing if Australia Day is on another date.

The only change is it’ll recognise the grief it causes indigenous people and perhaps let them feel a little more valued.

Some people are against that even though they’re being asked to give up absolutely nothing. They just enjoy seeing indigenous people in their now traditional beaten-down position, and are totally opposed to anything that might change it - even just symbolically.

The thought of it obviously upsets or scares you. They’re your issues to work out.

You just assume with no proof, still waiting for an answer about your last post that calls everyone a racist.

Bunk Moreland said:
Seen it plenty of times... “the arrival of civilisation”... keep scratching at that and you’ll get your answer.
What by comparing it with the arrival of the Romans in the UK?.

How is that racist ?.

Unless you are saying he is now racist against white people as well ?.

You just assume with no proof, still waiting for an answer about your last post that calls everyone a racist.

How is that racist ?.

I’m surprised you’re on here and not out celebrating!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m surprised you’re on here and not out celebrating!

Who says i am not ?.

I will tell you what doesn't surprise me, yours or others inability to answer a simple post instead of changing the subject because you cant.

Who says i am not ?.

I will tell you what doesn't surprise me, yours or others inability to answer a simple post instead of changing the subject because you cant.

You’re assuming I take you seriously.

Suuuure you’re out. You’re doing what you do everyday. SFA

Excellent article,

Says it all

"Understanding how toxic patriotism has become in Australia is essential to this challenge.

Patriotism that should be about a love of the land and people has become instead about a justification for bigotry and racism, about instilling hatred in the perceived “other”, and about providing a comfortable smokescreen for government looking after its own interests at the expense of the rest of us."
seppo bullshit

How is that racist ?.

Keep thinking and discovering, you’ll get there.

tenor.gif
Jacinta Price says hello

Remove this Banner Ad

Back