News The 2020. Let's get (vicariously) jacked! The Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injured and limited training

21 Liberatore.jpg
Libba

15 Duryea.jpg
Duryea

38 Garcia.jpg
Garcia - had a great chat with this kid and the club are taking a cautious approach. He is raring to get out there with the boys.

23 Vandermeer.jpg
Vandermeer

And I think Khamis turned up about halfway through the practice match.

Should add it was about 32 and rained early with high humidity so the ball was quite slippery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

View attachment 811826
Suckling, looked proppy but seemed to be ok. Did just enough to know he was there.

View attachment 811828
Lewis Young, played a bit forward, played a bit back. Didn’t do a great deal.

View attachment 811829
Wallis, set the scene with his attack on the ball. Seemed to play more half forward and some midfield.

Good that Wallis was playing more half forward than midfield. Seriously think he could be a very good forward and provide a huge presence up forward with his physicality and leadership, but he's a liability in the midfield

04 Bont.jpg
Bont - cruised on through like the Mercedes he is. Did enough without staring.

05 Dunkley.jpg
Dunkley - with Porter (yes Porter) kept the blue side in it when they were being smashed in the first half. Was quiet in the second half but did enough.

06 Bailey Smith.jpg
Bailey ‘the beast’ Smith - no second year blues here. This kid could be anything.

10 Wood.jpg
Wood - best I’ve seen Wood move since the dogs have been coming up here. Might be life in the old dog yet.

11 Macrae.jpg
Macrae, actually thought he was quiet until I reviewed my photos... along with Hayes and Porter was in a bucket of them.

12 Cordy.jpg
Cordy - I really like Cordy but he was frustrating today. Not in much and often 2nd to the ball.

13 Schache.jpg
Schache - quiet but worked hard. When nether team could kick a goal either close or far Schache went back and nailed one from outside 50 easily. And was then pushed off the ball next contest by Williams

14 West.jpg
West - does all the hard stuff behind the play, will only get better.

Duryea injured.

16 Mclean.jpg
McLean - worked hard for both the blue & white teams without dominating. Was in a lot of play. Looks bigger and more muscular and says he’s looking forward to more midfield this year.

That’s it for tonight - will do more players and photos tomorrow.

View attachment 811853
Schache - quiet but worked hard. When nether team could kick a goal either close or far Schache went back and nailed one from outside 50 easily. And was then pushed off the ball next contest by Williams

View attachment 811856
West - does all the hard stuff behind the play, will only get better.

Duryea injured.

View attachment 811857
McLean - worked hard for both the blue & white teams without dominating. Was in a lot of play. Looks bigger and more muscular and says he’s looking forward to more midfield this year.

That’s it for tonight - will do more players and photos tomorrow.

I can’t see where “more midfield” comes from for Toby.

View attachment 811841
Bont - cruised on through like the Mercedes he is. Did enough without staring.

View attachment 811843
Dunkley - with Porter (yes Porter) kept the blue side in it when they were being smashed in the first half. Was quiet in the second half but did enough.

View attachment 811844
Bailey ‘the beast’ Smith - no second year blues here. This kid could be anything.

Was Bailey running through the guts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 Bruce.jpg
Bruce or Brucey as the boys seem to be calling him. Was well held by Keith for the first half but kept working and providing an option and definitely came into it in the second half.

18 Butler.jpg
Butler, despite my one poor picture Butler actually had a fair few touches and disposals and seems clean and composed. Certainly didn’t look out of place for a 1st year player.

19 Weightman.jpg
Weightman- like most first round picks showed enough to suggest he’ll push for a place. Loved his clean hands when others were fumbling and he did some good in and under work at half forward. Will play sooner if possible.

20 Richards.jpg
Richards - in and out of the game, did some exciting things and a few line breaking dashes.

Libba - injured, although a club source told me he was about 2 sessions away from rejoining the group which is positive.

22 Lloyd.jpg
Lloyd, looked up and about. Did some nice work around the forward 50.

Vandermeer, another in the rehab group.

Khamis, turned up about half way through the scratch match.

25 Cavarra.jpg
Cavarra - massive standout. Was in everything early and if he kicked straight would have had 4 by quarter time instead of 4 points. Very lively and should play early if fit. Spoke to him and he’s very determined to get out there and have a crack.

How are the forgotten Bulldogs tracking? Cavarra, Lynch, R.Smith, Williams, Hayes, Jong etc.

26 Gowers.jpg
Gowers - billy goat looked like he’d bulked up and it showed, rag dolled McLean at one point pretty easily. Looked ok without standing out.

27 Lipinski.jpg
Lipinski - super slick in close, did a lot of the grunt work in congested packs, silky mover who adds some class around the ball. Probably still needs to get his hands on it more.

28 Porter.jpg
Porter - excited to say Cal was great early, looks to have bulked up and his contested ball has improved substantially. If Hayes was BOG early, Porter was 2nd. Really good in the middle first and 2nd quarters then faded.

29 Dickson.jpg
Dickson, I love Tory but he looked like he hasn’t returned in good condition and in the taxing humidity it showed. Sadly, may be his last year and I wouldn’t expect him to play round 1 in that condition.

30 Greene.jpg
Greene - Fergus has bulked up and, when I told him this responded with a cheeky “I couldn’t get any thinner!” Fergus looks set for the next level, did some really nice things and has improved his contested game. Exciting 2020 ahead.

31 Dale.jpg
Dale - did some nice things without being outstanding. Was used as a linkup man in the 3rd & 4th quarters on the wing to good effect in some chains that resulted in goals for the blue team.

32 Hayes.jpg
Hayes - BOG in the first half. I really felt that Hayes was a roleplayer but he might have changed my mind. His efforts and ability to find the ball early were fantastic. Really helped the whites to get off to a good start.

33 Naughton.jpg
Naughton - was very quiet and barely touched the ball. Looked like he needed to just get out there and get some kms into his legs.

34 Williams.jpg
Williams - quiet early but got better as the game went on. 3rd quarter had the ball on a string but didn’t do a lot with it. Looked a little rusty.

35 Daniel.jpg
Daniel - wasn’t sighted early but got into the game after 1/4 time. He is such a good user of the ball, nothing wasted.

36 Lynch.jpg
Lynch - less flashy runs, more linked up work. I like what he offers and if he can find the ball more he might take Richards spot.

37 Roarke Smith.jpg
Roarke Smith - one of the top 3 early, very busy and in everything... tackling, spoiling and getting his own ball. Roarke ole son, if you can play like that during the season you shouldn’t miss too many games.

Good that Wallis was playing more half forward than midfield. Seriously think he could be a very good forward and provide a huge presence up forward with his physicality and leadership, but he's a liability in the midfield
You always get 110% from Wally.

38 Garcia.jpg
Garcia - injured and when I spoke to him said the club was taking their time to make sure he got right. Seems a really nice kid, happy to chat to a fan and eager to get out there.

39 JJ.jpg
JJ - a couple of blistering runs but played within himself. A worry with a bad knee knock in the 2nd quarter that we all prayed wasn’t an ACL but after several minutes got up and played out the game... might have been sore though as didn’t have much of it afterwards.

40 Lachie Young.jpg
Lachie Young - lock for the back half. Took most of the blues kick ins and, when they were under siege early stopped quite a few goals. I think he’s jumped Lewis Young and might keep Trengove out of the back half.

41 Sweet.jpg
Sweet - started in the middle and physically challenged English for most of the first half. Great to see him getting more of it around the ground. I personally think if he gets a chance he’ll do ok

42 Keath.jpg
Keath - held Brucey in the first half, visibly tired in the second but still kept trying. I think he’ll be a good pickup once he recovers fully from his op.

43 Gardner.jpg
Gardner - did some nice things but still looks some way off. Not a write off but needs to bulk up or find a way to get more involved.

44 English.jpg
English - took on Sweet, Trengove and all comers over the match and, except for a short stint of help from Schache, out played them. Bevo obviously believes he can ruck all day and he’s right! Will challenge Grundy this year.

46 Jong.jpg
Jong - has bulked up noticeably. Did numerous good things through the middle and I don’t remember any of his usually noticeable clangers. Make or break Jongy, fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back