Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I don't seem to be able to link it, probably cos i haven't investigated how on my phone
The mongrel punt has put out their "the good,the bad and the ugly" for North , I reckon the author has a bit of a soft spot for us, he tends to be very positive about our list, its a good read

Sorry I don't seem to be able to link it, probably cos i haven't investigated how on my phone
The mongrel punt has put out their "the good,the bad and the ugly" for North , I reckon the author has a bit of a soft spot for us, he tends to be very positive about our list, its a good read

Thank you so much 😊
To make up for my phone dumbness i have pasted the extra section that was locked behind a paywall for members

OTHER BITS
I was going to add this in the section about who will be the big improver, but at 25 years old, Jed Anderson sits right on the cusp of players who might be as good as they’re going to get, and players who could improve. He lost a fair amount of time early on due to injury, and as one of the players who throws his body in recklessly, could really add some bite to the North midfield if he takes one more step.

Sitting right at 20.59 touches per game, Anderson has been handy, but as it stands with kids coming through, he is by no means indispensable. I’m pulling for him to have a real crack this season.

After 11 games in 2018, Paul Ahern managed just seven in 2019. He dropped a heap of weight prior to last season, but the results didn’t come on the park as expected. Watching him in 2018, he struck me as more than just a handy VFL player, but after two knee reconstructions and being perceived as a bit slow, has the horse bolted on his career? I reckon the first ten games of 2020 will dictate the Paul Ahern story from here on.

Kayne Turner needs a big year as a small, pressure forward. At 24, and with kids coming into the team, the smaller forward role has been a bit of a weakness in the North line up for a few years. He had 12 goals in 2019, and I’d say anything less than 20 would put his spot in the side in jeopardy. He’d need to increase his tackles inside 50 as well. At under one per game in 2019, his league rank was 83rd which is nowhere near good enough.

Ben Brown doesn’t strike me as the best defensive player in the game, but he had just as many tackles inside 50 as Turner did in 2019.

I was a little harsh on Marley Williams a couple of seasons ago when it looked like he may have gone down a little too easily in a physical “clash” if you could call it that – see below.

After another year, I think Williams has really lifted his game and is now one of the better small defenders in the caper. It’s not often he is soundly beaten, and there is plenty of quality he’s matched up against.

A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT THE KANGAROOS

WHO IS THE PLAYER THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE?

Todd Goldstein.

When North Melbourne had Brayden Preuss waiting in the wings, the possibility of Todd Goldstein exercising his free agency and signing elsewhere may not have been such a big deal. The Kangaroos also had Majak Daw to throw into the ruck as a back up.

How times change…

Goldstein is now the be-all and end-all of the ruck division at North. Yes, Majak might make it all the way back, and his athleticism would be handy to aid Goldy, but without their number one big man, North would be on a par with the 2019 Western Bulldogs or Sydney Swans, who were unable to give their mids first use most of the time.

WHO IS THE BIG IMPROVER?

Jy Simpkin.

Did you like the taste of what Simpkin can produce? He gave you just a little spoonful of sugar in Round 22 last year when he notched 33 touches and kicked a goal against Port Adelaide.

Or how about his Round 16 performance when he aided North’s win over the Saints with 36 touches and a goal? At 21 years old, you’re not hearing much about Simpkin in the football media… but you will, and this should be the year he makes a few announcements and grabs your attention.

As he enters his fourth year at Arden Street, Simpkin is well-placed to learn the art of inside play from ben Cunnington, and the art of outside run from Shaun Higgins – two of the best proponents of each skill.

His two 30+ games have shown a nice mix of both styles, collecting 21contested touches against the Saints, and 19 uncontested touches against Port. In both games, Simpkin had players overshadow him in Brownlow voting, but that is the nature of the modern North Melbourne midfielder – you do the grunt work and allow others to shine.

Simpkin is in the advantageous position of having quality all around him, and if he can start to impose himself on more games in 2020, and ease the load on Cunnington and Higgins, the Kangaroos start to have a diverse array of mids that can hurt.

Judging by his two big games in 2019, he knows what it takes. Now is the time to start delivering more.

WHO NEEDS TO LIFT?

I’m sick of writing about Mason Wood, so I am going to jump past him and focus on someone else.

I reckon this is the year for Trent Dumont to raise his game to the next level, and consistency is the key. He had three games in 2019 where he had 30+ disposals, but he also had five games where he was held to under 20 disposals.

I suppose the improvement comes in those five games. Someone like Ben Cunnington had two games where he failed to hit 20 touches (one with Matt de Boer clinging to him like Stephen Silvagni to Jason Dunstall) and Shaun Higgins had two as well (one where he was injured in the first quarter against the Suns).

It’s that sort of consistency that Dumont needs to develop, where you automatically jot him down for 20+ disposals each and every week. Knowing what you’re going to get from a player eases the burden on the others around him, and if Dumont has managed an average of 23.57 last season with some ordinary games in the mix, 25+ possessions per game in 2020 is very obtainable.

For the record, North were 1-4 when Dumont was well-held. Correlation or causation? You decide.

The other bloke who has to show some real signs is Luke Davies-Uniacke.

Taken at pick four overall in 2017, LDU had a pretty ordinary first season as far as modern high draft picks go. He doubled the amount of games he played in year two, with 14 games last season, and though he was far from dominant, he started to get his hands on the pill a little more.

Averaging just under 15 touches per game, he started to show a little of why he was so highly regarded, and seems to be more of a slow-burn kind of player than one who will jump out of the box, as is evidenced by the fact he has topped 20 touches just twice in his career to this point.

Whilst I don’t expect LDU to dominate the midfield – he has players like Cunnington and Higgins to do that – I do expect him to start pushing up to around the 20 disposals per game mark this season. He has been earmarked as the replacement for Shaun Higgins when he retires, so he has a little bit of time to work with, but the hard work goes in now, and the rewards are reaped later.

IF THE ROOS WERE A MOVIE CHARACTER, WHO WOULD THEY BE?

I know it’s a little risky comparing anyone to a Mel Gibson character these days, but for a moment, let’s separate the role from the man.

The year is 1995 and a little movie called Braveheart is released, with Gibson playing the main role of William Wallace. Despite not being seven feet tall, shooting fireballs from his eyes and lighting from his arse, Wallace forged a reputation as one of the greatest warriors in history; one who would die for his freedom.

If there was one movie character that embodied the “shinboner spirit” it’d be Gibson’s depiction of Wallace. Nothing special to look at, dirt poor and with no right to succeed against those of higher stations, the William Wallace Kangaroos are plucky, believe in themselves and are set to start taking it up to those who would hold them down.

I do hope for a better ending for the Kangaroos, however.

“Freedom!”

WHO IS SITTING IN THE DEPARTURE LOUNGE?

I pinched this saying from a kid at my work, who tells me his dad uses the phrase when someone at his work isn’t performing. When talking about the staff member, the father says “He’s in the departure lounge,” meaning he is almost ready to be shown the way out if he doesn’t improve.

So, who do you think is in the departure lounge at the North Melbourne after the 2020 season?

We covered Mason Wood above, and he was close to playing elsewhere this coming season… only no one really made any overtures at the trade table.

Taylor Garner’s time at North might be close to coming to an end as well, particularly if an injury means he cannot get on the park for more than half the games.

Tom Campbell retains his place for this year based on the fact he is tall, and little else, but is contracted until 2021. He may get a run if Goldy sustains an injury.

SO, WHERE DO THE KANGAROOS FINISH IN 2020?

I’ve had a bit of feedback that I’ve kind of implied where a team will finish without really stating it in these columns, so here’s one for you – I’ve got North in the top six if things go right.

Nice caveat, huh? “IF” things go right.

You could probably say that about ten teams, right? So it’s a bit of a cop out, I guess. If things go wrong, they hit around that 10-12 mark, but things would need to go very wrong for that to occur, in my opinion. So, by “things going right” I mean a couple of things.

I mean the next step for a few (not all) of the younger brigade. I mean consistent performance from those at the pointy end of North’s list – Higgins, Tarrant, Brown and Cunnington. I mean mid-age talent like Dumont or Jy Simpkin really establishing themselves as go-to midfielders in the North rotation, and I mean Jared Polec becoming the player he was recruited to be.

So yes, IF things go right, I can see North surprising quite a few teams… and obviously, the flip side is that there is plenty that could go wrong.

AND WHO MAKES IT HAPPEN, OR… PREVENTS IT FROM HAPPENING?

Damn, I just kind of outlined that in the section above, didn’t I? Oh well – of them all, I would say the consistency of Ben Brown is probably most important, given the attention he draws and the benefits it affords his teammates.

Let the big dog feed, and the others can munch away on the scraps.

Thank you so much 😊
To make up for my phone dumbness i have pasted the extra section that was locked behind a paywall for members

OTHER BITS
I was going to add this in the section about who will be the big improver, but at 25 years old, Jed Anderson sits right on the cusp of players who might be as good as they’re going to get, and players who could improve. He lost a fair amount of time early on due to injury, and as one of the players who throws his body in recklessly, could really add some bite to the North midfield if he takes one more step.

Sitting right at 20.59 touches per game, Anderson has been handy, but as it stands with kids coming through, he is by no means indispensable. I’m pulling for him to have a real crack this season.

After 11 games in 2018, Paul Ahern managed just seven in 2019. He dropped a heap of weight prior to last season, but the results didn’t come on the park as expected. Watching him in 2018, he struck me as more than just a handy VFL player, but after two knee reconstructions and being perceived as a bit slow, has the horse bolted on his career? I reckon the first ten games of 2020 will dictate the Paul Ahern story from here on.

Kayne Turner needs a big year as a small, pressure forward. At 24, and with kids coming into the team, the smaller forward role has been a bit of a weakness in the North line up for a few years. He had 12 goals in 2019, and I’d say anything less than 20 would put his spot in the side in jeopardy. He’d need to increase his tackles inside 50 as well. At under one per game in 2019, his league rank was 83rd which is nowhere near good enough.

Ben Brown doesn’t strike me as the best defensive player in the game, but he had just as many tackles inside 50 as Turner did in 2019.

I was a little harsh on Marley Williams a couple of seasons ago when it looked like he may have gone down a little too easily in a physical “clash” if you could call it that – see below.

After another year, I think Williams has really lifted his game and is now one of the better small defenders in the caper. It’s not often he is soundly beaten, and there is plenty of quality he’s matched up against.

Todd Goldstein.

When North Melbourne had Brayden Preuss waiting in the wings, the possibility of Todd Goldstein exercising his free agency and signing elsewhere may not have been such a big deal. The Kangaroos also had Majak Daw to throw into the ruck as a back up.

How times change…

Goldstein is now the be-all and end-all of the ruck division at North. Yes, Majak might make it all the way back, and his athleticism would be handy to aid Goldy, but without their number one big man, North would be on a par with the 2019 Western Bulldogs or Sydney Swans, who were unable to give their mids first use most of the time.

WHO IS THE BIG IMPROVER?

Jy Simpkin.

Did you like the taste of what Simpkin can produce? He gave you just a little spoonful of sugar in Round 22 last year when he notched 33 touches and kicked a goal against Port Adelaide.

Or how about his Round 16 performance when he aided North’s win over the Saints with 36 touches and a goal? At 21 years old, you’re not hearing much about Simpkin in the football media… but you will, and this should be the year he makes a few announcements and grabs your attention.

As he enters his fourth year at Arden Street, Simpkin is well-placed to learn the art of inside play from ben Cunnington, and the art of outside run from Shaun Higgins – two of the best proponents of each skill.

His two 30+ games have shown a nice mix of both styles, collecting 21contested touches against the Saints, and 19 uncontested touches against Port. In both games, Simpkin had players overshadow him in Brownlow voting, but that is the nature of the modern North Melbourne midfielder – you do the grunt work and allow others to shine.

Simpkin is in the advantageous position of having quality all around him, and if he can start to impose himself on more games in 2020, and ease the load on Cunnington and Higgins, the Kangaroos start to have a diverse array of mids that can hurt.

Judging by his two big games in 2019, he knows what it takes. Now is the time to start delivering more.

WHO NEEDS TO LIFT?

I’m sick of writing about Mason Wood, so I am going to jump past him and focus on someone else.

I reckon this is the year for Trent Dumont to raise his game to the next level, and consistency is the key. He had three games in 2019 where he had 30+ disposals, but he also had five games where he was held to under 20 disposals.

I suppose the improvement comes in those five games. Someone like Ben Cunnington had two games where he failed to hit 20 touches (one with Matt de Boer clinging to him like Stephen Silvagni to Jason Dunstall) and Shaun Higgins had two as well (one where he was injured in the first quarter against the Suns).

It’s that sort of consistency that Dumont needs to develop, where you automatically jot him down for 20+ disposals each and every week. Knowing what you’re going to get from a player eases the burden on the others around him, and if Dumont has managed an average of 23.57 last season with some ordinary games in the mix, 25+ possessions per game in 2020 is very obtainable.

For the record, North were 1-4 when Dumont was well-held. Correlation or causation? You decide.

Taken at pick four overall in 2017, LDU had a pretty ordinary first season as far as modern high draft picks go. He doubled the amount of games he played in year two, with 14 games last season, and though he was far from dominant, he started to get his hands on the pill a little more.

Averaging just under 15 touches per game, he started to show a little of why he was so highly regarded, and seems to be more of a slow-burn kind of player than one who will jump out of the box, as is evidenced by the fact he has topped 20 touches just twice in his career to this point.

Whilst I don’t expect LDU to dominate the midfield – he has players like Cunnington and Higgins to do that – I do expect him to start pushing up to around the 20 disposals per game mark this season. He has been earmarked as the replacement for Shaun Higgins when he retires, so he has a little bit of time to work with, but the hard work goes in now, and the rewards are reaped later.

I know it’s a little risky comparing anyone to a Mel Gibson character these days, but for a moment, let’s separate the role from the man.

The year is 1995 and a little movie called Braveheart is released, with Gibson playing the main role of William Wallace. Despite not being seven feet tall, shooting fireballs from his eyes and lighting from his arse, Wallace forged a reputation as one of the greatest warriors in history; one who would die for his freedom.

If there was one movie character that embodied the “shinboner spirit” it’d be Gibson’s depiction of Wallace. Nothing special to look at, dirt poor and with no right to succeed against those of higher stations, the William Wallace Kangaroos are plucky, believe in themselves and are set to start taking it up to those who would hold them down.

“Freedom!”

I pinched this saying from a kid at my work, who tells me his dad uses the phrase when someone at his work isn’t performing. When talking about the staff member, the father says “He’s in the departure lounge,” meaning he is almost ready to be shown the way out if he doesn’t improve.

So, who do you think is in the departure lounge at the North Melbourne after the 2020 season?

We covered Mason Wood above, and he was close to playing elsewhere this coming season… only no one really made any overtures at the trade table.

Taylor Garner’s time at North might be close to coming to an end as well, particularly if an injury means he cannot get on the park for more than half the games.

Tom Campbell retains his place for this year based on the fact he is tall, and little else, but is contracted until 2021. He may get a run if Goldy sustains an injury.

I’ve had a bit of feedback that I’ve kind of implied where a team will finish without really stating it in these columns, so here’s one for you – I’ve got North in the top six if things go right.

You could probably say that about ten teams, right? So it’s a bit of a cop out, I guess. If things go wrong, they hit around that 10-12 mark, but things would need to go very wrong for that to occur, in my opinion. So, by “things going right” I mean a couple of things.

I mean the next step for a few (not all) of the younger brigade. I mean consistent performance from those at the pointy end of North’s list – Higgins, Tarrant, Brown and Cunnington. I mean mid-age talent like Dumont or Jy Simpkin really establishing themselves as go-to midfielders in the North rotation, and I mean Jared Polec becoming the player he was recruited to be.

So yes, IF things go right, I can see North surprising quite a few teams… and obviously, the flip side is that there is plenty that could go wrong.

Damn, I just kind of outlined that in the section above, didn’t I? Oh well – of them all, I would say the consistency of Ben Brown is probably most important, given the attention he draws and the benefits it affords his teammates.

There isn't much quality analysis going around in AFL media, and even less quality analysis of North, so that was a pleasant surprise! Thanks for sharing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you so much 😊

OTHER BITS

Todd Goldstein.

How times change…

WHO IS THE BIG IMPROVER?

Jy Simpkin.

WHO NEEDS TO LIFT?

“Freedom!”

Fair article (or is that called an opinion piece rather)

North dominating the sports pages today!

The Age - “Premiership may head North”.

Herald Sun - “ Roos Awakening”

Now, if we can just get them to start liking our men’s team as well...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
North dominating the sports pages today!

The Age - “Premiership may head North”.

Herald Sun - “ Roos Awakening”

Now, if we can just get them to start liking our men’s team as well...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's cute.....for one day

Not sure which thread this belongs in...
I was listening to SEN on my way to watch the intra club today. Terry Wallet was naming his best player of all time to play for each club - Obviously, it came as no surprise that the greatest player to ever pull on footy boots was named our best ever player.
Anyways, Terry went through every team & named Pendelbery as Collywobbles best ever player, which in itself is laughable - not that Pendles ain’t any good, but he isn’t in the same stratosphere as The King!
Some nuffie called in to argue that Bucks should be ahead of Pendles as Collywobbles best ever player & one of his reasons was that Bucks played on Carey on 4 occasions & kept him goalless every single time...
Now my memory is shot, but I never remember that big head keeping the great man goalless once, let alone 4 times...
Someone please tell me this bloke is off his rocker & that this did not happen!?
I was seeing red, as neither host pulled him up on his flat out lies...
DO NOT BESMIRCH THE KING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back