Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 8, Monday)

Nadal (1) v Kyrgios (23)

• Nadal (1) in 3

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Nadal (1) in 4

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Nadal (1) in 5

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Kyrgios (23) in 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyrgios (23) in 4

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Kyrgios (23) in 5

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Court was super slow I felt.

I'm not a firm believer in sentimental soppy stuff but I genuinely think that Kobe's death was a huge motivator for Nick tonight in his attitude and fight. It could be just me but I saw him look towards the sky quite a few times as if to draw strength from the beyond.

Same thing happened when Millman was up against Roger. I know if I was at a match with a Aussie I'd be going for the Aussie.
Millman was a complete unknown to the Rod Laver crowd up against 5 time champ. It got louder in the last set though.

I think Nick has burnt some people 1 too many times. He's been good this summer, hopefully he keeps it up going forward.

All i wanted to see from Nick after that 3rd set was to keep his head and fight it out.
He did exactly that so hats off.

Is this the best it gets though ?
He's too stubborn for his own good , he even said " i can't get through him " - well there's more than one way to win a point mate.
Just about personal growth. He's taken a big step forward at the start of the year, if he keeps the trajectory going he might find it easier to train and listen in the future.

NK also doesn't choose the right shot option on big points.
To beat Federer, Nadal and djokovic in a best of 5 grand slam is shown to be nearly impossible. Winning those big points in such huge moments in grand slams is so difficult. Kyrgios did make some poor shot selections at crucial times tonight.

Millman was a complete unknown to the Rod Laver crowd up against 5 time champ. It got louder in the last set though.

I think Nick has burnt some people 1 too many times. He's been good this summer, hopefully he keeps it up going forward.

To be fair, even Medvedev or Thiem would be a complete unknown to the Federer snobbery fans. No idea about tennis other then Fed. Even Djokovic gets a poor treatment. Shows the class

I'm not a firm believer in sentimental soppy stuff but I genuinely think that Kobe's death was a huge motivator for Nick tonight in his attitude and fight. It could be just me but I saw him look towards the sky quite a few times as if to draw strength from the beyond.

He stole that from Hulk Hogan

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it was a hindrance as well as a motivation. Probably the cause of his slow start but also the reason behind his fight. Was never going to be able to claw back against the world number 1 after just playing nearly the longest game you can possibly play.. but he made a good fist of it.

Thought the same, maybe just the cool night conditions but was tough for clear winners to be hit.

His summer has been ok but he was injured through the ATP cup for a match. His attitude has been good, he'll probably go off and play a few mickey mouse tournaments over in South America. The big test will be when he plays in America at Masters 1000 events. I'm not a fan and it is because he blows up unnecessarily. I don't understand how someone who has so much talent does not want to be No. 1 or win a GS or train hard. Plus not want a coach.

Bublik has known to do it..

yep he does tweeners and trick shots also.

Nick Kyrgios well done on a fantastic month, showed respect at the end also to a foe after fighting hard to stay in it when the crowd dropped off as did I in the lounge at home.
Held his head in the most crucial moments I thought.
And suddenly I think the underarm serve is a good idea. Should’ve used it more haha.

Just about personal growth. He's taken a big step forward at the start of the year, if he keeps the trajectory going he might find it easier to train and listen in the future.
yeah i just worry he's too old and set now.

Back