Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

fu
Dumbbell floor presses are less stressful on the shoulder. Might be an option to consider

yeah i probably should look at doing barbell+dumbbell presses on the floor.

I usually keep the weights angled and closeish to my body, but i flared them out and immediately pulled something.

I might give them a go next session once the pain has subsided.

Here's one for yas. My sinuses are absolutely ****ed after copping way too many hits to the face. Really affecting my running which was becoming more noticeable due to my knee rehab.

I used a saline irrigation and then did 30 minutes of pranayama breathing exercises (nose yoga I like to call it) and for the first time in years I'm breathing through my nose.

Introduced some cutting, hopping, and side to side jumping into my ACL rehab. Had to go through a big session with the physio on change of direction biomechanics (powering with inside leg and feet pointing in the right direction). Never knew how important that stuff is to injury prevention and general agility, and it's pretty awful that it's not taught here in Aus at junior levels.

That’s a lot of trials comparing different types of surgeries when you consider we can’t say with any surety that surgery is better than no surgery lol

That’s a lot of trials comparing different types of surgeries when you consider we can’t say with any surety that surgery is better than no surgery lol

Would it pass an ethics clearance to have non surgical people running around at high intensity and potentially doing further damage to their knees?

Would it pass an ethics clearance to have non surgical people running around at high intensity and potentially doing further damage to their knees?

There's already a lot of trials on placebo surgery for other conditions so I don't see why it wouldn't pass as long as all the boxes were ticked off.
Biggest issue is that I can't see there ever being a randomized trial done on elite athletes so we'd be relying on data predominantly from non-athletic populations (which is fine for them, but would then be impossible to say "well all these 60 y/olds did fine with no ACLR therefore 20 y/old elite AFL players will too")

On antibiotics due to a skin infection and the doc has told me to stop gym until Monday. That'll be 4 days off :(

At least my knee and back are feeling better.

For the last couple of months I've had a niggling pain in my Achilles in my right foot. It's not a bad pain and hasn't really stopped me doing anything except for running. I've just been rowing or using the assault bike at CrossFit when running is prescribed. Any ideas of how to stop the niggling?

For the last couple of months I've had a niggling pain in my Achilles in my right foot. It's not a bad pain and hasn't really stopped me doing anything except for running. I've just been rowing or using the assault bike at CrossFit when running is prescribed. Any ideas of how to stop the niggling?

Calf raises ++++ seated and standing.
Also, slowly increase running so tendon has time to adapt to load.

0F77452B-8FB0-4F89-8969-44254FF87BFD.jpeg FDEBE724-A165-42A3-A951-9ED95180A8B3.jpeg

Comp on Sunday and hurt my shoulder doing my final heavy bench session on Tuesday.. feeling better every day and just gonna keep the anti inflammatories and ice packs up until then. Had cupping done Sunday with my regular massage and noticed last night that I’ve bruised outside the cup on the shoulder I hurt.. minor tear?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 813382View attachment 813383

Comp on Sunday and hurt my shoulder doing my final heavy bench session on Tuesday.. feeling better every day and just gonna keep the anti inflammatories and ice packs up until then. Had cupping done Sunday with my regular massage and noticed last night that I’ve bruised outside the cup on the shoulder I hurt.. minor tear?

tears tend to either not bruise or bruise like a mofo.
id say that’s just a result of cupping + some general inflammation around the muscle/joint

View attachment 813382View attachment 813383

Comp for what?

tears tend to either not bruise or bruise like a mofo.
id say that’s just a result of cupping + some general inflammation around the muscle/joint

They look like stretch marks, just made worse by the bruising from the cupping.

Interesting, there are stories of AFL footballers recovering from partial tears and playing again after a few months by avoiding surgery. Dale Morris did it twice in each pre-season of his last two years although he's hardly typical even for an athlete.

Fantastic chat with Lions Head of Performance Selwyn Griffith re accelerated hamstring recovery, Selwyn was saying that the Lions over the last few seasons have a 5% recurrence rate re hamstring injuries as compared to the industry standard of around 18-20%.

https://omny.fm/shows/tswspodcast/selwyn-griffith
Will have to listen over the weekend, the Lions are considered the AFL's best medicos.

Fantastic chat with Lions Head of Performance Selwyn Griffith re accelerated hamstring recovery, Selwyn was saying that the Lions over the last few seasons have a 5% recurrence rate re hamstring injuries as compared to the industry standard of around 18-20%.

https://omny.fm/shows/tswspodcast/selwyn-griffith

Seemed like the main points were eccentric exercises early, and having the athlete perform more KM/Sprint in their 'rehab' sessions to ensure that they can cope with the rigours of playing/training.

ok so this is going to sound stupid but i'm pretty sure my legs are different lengths and its causing me issues after a decent run

basically the joint where my left leg connects to my hip is getting inflamed and i think its because of how i'm impacting the ground on that side (straighter leg/more impact?)

no problems at all with the other side. defs shitting me though

ok so this is going to sound stupid but i'm pretty sure my legs are different lengths and its causing me issues after a decent run

basically the joint where my left leg connects to my hip is getting inflamed and i think its because of how i'm impacting the ground on that side (straighter leg/more impact?)

no problems at all with the other side. defs shitting me though

Not stupid at all, my mate who is a physio said people would be very surprised at how non symmetrical their bodies are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back