Do you think if you really tried hard enough, you could make it to the AFL?

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For me, I definitely think I could have. In year 10 Sports Studies, we did a 6-week block on AFL and I was the leading goal kicker for the class, playing mainly out of the midfield. I saw myself as a damaging midfielder with the explosiveness of Peak Judd and football nous of a Mitchell/Ablett.
I picture myself winning the ball out of the centre, 5 seconds to go in the grand final. Port Adelaide favourite son, HotSausage69 wins the tap down, RUNS OUT OF THE CENTRE, NO ONE CAN LAY A HAND ON HIM, TIME IS RUNNING OUT, LAUNCHES IT FROM 70!!!!!! GOAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL ON THE SIRENNNNN, HISTORY IN THE MAKING AGAINNNNNN!!!! PORT ADELAIDE WIN THE GRAND FINAL AS HOTSAUSAGE69 KICKS HIS EIGHTH!!!!!!!
In that match, I also had 47 disposals, 35 contested and 29 tackles.
Unfortunately I found my way in to the hospitality industry and as such had to sacrifice my weekends, so I could never really give it a real good shot. But I truly believe life happened differently, I could have won myself a brownlow medal or two. C'est la vie....

How would you have fared?

Being realistic, I did have a coach who said if I worked hard and dedicate x amount of time and effort to my craft. I had a decent chance of making it.

I like to say I had some nice attributes due to my basketball/Rugby background.

I never really took it serious, it was just an hobby.

Then again I'm probably just overrating myself here

I always like to try work out if a 4am post is because the person works night shift, has an early start, or is 17 beers deep. This one might fall into the latter category.

Well not with that attitude anyway. :D
Touche'

The football public does underestimate the ability of even the fringe players at AFL level though. No players work incredibly hard on and off the track but there is a natural football/athletic (or both) baseline ability required just to get your foot in the door.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
It's a bit far, but yeah if I tried really hard enough, I reckon I could book a plane ticket, and then grab a taxi upon arrival, to make it to the AFL. What's their address?

I've had to battle train line closures and tram strikes and building works to make it to the AFL on many an occasion. I reckon I already do try hard enough to make it to the AFL.

Touche'

The football public does underestimate the ability of even the fringe players at AFL level though. No players work incredibly hard on and off the track but there is a natural football/athletic (or both) baseline ability required just to get your foot in the door.

The fringe AFL players we often write off as 'spuds' often go back to state level and wipe the floor with them. And of course to get to the top of the state level, you'd have to be pretty good in the first place and they are the best of the best of the amateur leagues.

We might make fun of Chris Masten's disposal but I guarantee even in retirement he'd still beat the crap out of all posters on this board.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a game that necessitates all-round athleticism and which - because of its popularity and the consequent pay rates - attracts the best athletes in the country (to the detriment of many other sports). Footy can afford to be picky on size too, because of the talent base. Add in the need to have great hand-eye coordination, strong spatial awareness and physical courage (I'm a big believer that natural risk-taking is ingrained) and you've basically created a professional game that's beyond the reaches of most.

I've played with and against people who've made it to the peak in the AFL (long before they got there). Most are miles ahead athletically and skill-wise even at an early age.

As Rick Reilly once wrote: "You can write all the inspirational messages you want on your kid's school lunch bag. Nothing beats genetics."

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I was a back pocket in the magoos in a NSW bush league comp who made it as far as an emergency for first grade.

How I was never drafted to the AFL I'll never know. Would have definitely won a Norm Smith and a couple of Brownlows but I was cheated out of the chance.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Not AFL but I suspect my potential was undermined in a similar way to several potential future AFL Players.

When I was 16 (and in the UK) my Dad was told by my Head teacher that I had the potential to get into Oxford or Cambridge Uni. I was at a large government school with 300 kids in each year and the school only typically had about 30 kids a year get to university and only 1-2 into Oxford/Cambridge.

Then at 17-18 I spent most of my spare time chasing girls, underage drinking and driving my dads car too fast...

Whilst I still got to a Top 10 UK uni, my Dad often tells me that I wasted my potential (thanks Dad!!).

Touche'

A lot of AFL players aren't even that disciplined, they're just naturally gifted.

You only have to go down to your local gym to see guys who take their training and diet much more seriously than your average AFL list clogger.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I always like to try work out if a 4am post is because the person works night shift, has an early start, or is 17 beers deep. This one might fall into the latter category.
I like to think its night shift and 17 beers in.
But, no, you need talent as well as a work ethic. If I had put in the effort I may have been left out the reserves side most weeks in a bush league club struggling for numbers and gettoing belted by 50 goals a week.
Let's just say, my talent levels in all sport were somewhat below Steven Hawking's pole-vaulting expertise toward the end of his life.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Me- Definitely not.
My Brother Yes
He played juniors out at Port from 1991-1993 before concentrating on his uni. Played with guys like Wakelin, Waterhouse, Bond brothers. He played school footy with Wanganeen. Then he had a 10 year career in the Ammos. He did do a pre-season in 1995 with Norwood who had a very good bunch of kids. A lot who played in Norwoods 1997 premiership team. He should have at least played SANFL. Won the Amatuers Eric Pfitzner medal in the early 2000's

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
kids in year 10. Working full time probably already out as possibility.
17 beers in slight chance but if parents around, be hard to pull off.
Are you throwing facts around? On BigFooty? Surely you know better. :p

OK, had no idea about him being in year 10. Has my sympathy.
Horrible, horrible time of life. The only things worse are years 7 to 9. And probably, and thankfully I will never find out for sure, being a parent to a teenager.

Id dare say there have been hundreds of country/amateur footballers who were better than a lot of the fringe players that actually make it.

Personally I was terrible lol

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

You say that but players like Luke Partington, Kyal Horsley and Kane Mitchell have won Magarey and Sandover medals. Sure there may be complete unknowns that were happy just to dominate a bush league (and could perhaps cut it at AFL level) while working their day jobs but I'd wager that number is not that high, especially with today's talent identification networks.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Are you throwing facts around? On BigFooty? Surely you know better. :p

OK, had no idea about him being in year 10. Has my sympathy.
Horrible, horrible time of life. The only things worse are years 7 to 9. And probably, and thankfully I will never find out for sure, being a parent to a teenager.

ha ha. You would think I would come to my senses and throw facts out the door here.
Slow to learn but still hope I get it one day here and just blend in...

Back