Resource The NMFC History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Priceless.

It needs to be framed.

If you ever want to sell it, P.M. me first.

SOrry mate, I think we’ve both know the answer.
Will be getting it framed but will need another photo as autographs are on the back. I also have the original Weg’s from 1975 and 1977 which I willing get framed as well. I once got the weg’s priced and about 15 years ago were worth $300 each.

SOrry mate, I think we’ve both know the answer.
Will be getting it framed but will need another photo as autographs are on the back. I also have the original Weg’s from 1975 and 1977 which I willing get framed as well. I once got the weg’s priced and about 15 years ago were worth $300 each.

Got the Wegs myself, but that autographed piece is worthy of hanging in the club trophy cabinet.

...............not that you would see it anyway behind a f**king coffee cart! :mad:

Probably more Devo considering he's not in it.

Hope Sally was worth it 👍
I'm pretty sure in one of the NMFC doco's (I think it was Operation Premiership) he said it was one of his greatest regrets.

View attachment 795977

A photo I took at Arden St. Round 20 15 August 1981. Kerry Good (no.7) and Kym Hodgeman (no.17) can be seen near the goal square. They kicked 14 goals between them that day (Good 10 Hodgeman 4) Glendinning was B.O.G.

Fantastic. Im always searching for photos of Arden Street. There are very few available on the net. Wish they had mobile phones back in those days!

Charlie Gaudion - Gun
Johnny Lewis - Gun (knocked out Jack Dyer on his debut)
Neville Huggins - Gun. Went chasing the big VFA money at the time and was reportedly the highest paid player in the country.
S. Baker - Well, obviously a gun.:p

Charlie Gaudion - Gun
Johnny Lewis - Gun (knocked out Jack Dyer on his debut)
Neville Huggins - Gun. Went chasing the big VFA money at the time and was reportedly the highest paid player in the country.
S. Baker - Well, obviously a gun.:p

S.Baker= Selwyn Baker (not Barker). A handy little rover at North from 1931-34.

Plenty of good players in that photo. North had their most successful season since their entry into the VFL, winning 8 matches under new coach Dick Taylor. For the first time they had a viable target up forward in Tom Fitzmaurice.

Gaudion's career was tragically cut short by injury a few years later. And yes, Dyer feared Lewis. Huggins went to Fitzroy then Williamstown. Shame North couldn't afford to keep him.

View attachment 813362

I would not fu** with any of these lads.

Love the upper body muscle definition of Charlie. His son Mick played for us as a wing man, certainly when I started watching in the early 60s. I would have to check but I think both of them played for Victoria. I think another of Charlie's sons was a VFL umpire in the 60s also.

In his time, Johnny Lewis was reputed to be the biggest player going around in the VFL. Apparently a gentle giant, notwithstanding his presence and the fear that he instilled in others.

As the Depression was occurring at the time of this photo, it's no wonder that some of the players left for greener pastures, as North was effectively broke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hotham in Adelaide 1884.

18005.jpg
Does anyone know if Flowers, second row second from right is, B. "Bluey" Flowers?
He played for North/Hotham in 1885. It was said he was recruited by Carlton in 1882 from the Star of Carlton team.
Pennings' Volume 5 has him listed at North in 1885.
Also, does anyone know what month in 1884 the team went to Adelaide?

Does anyone know if Flowers, second row second from right is, B. "Bluey" Flowers?
He played for North/Hotham in 1885. It was said he was recruited by Carlton in 1882 from the Star of Carlton team.
Pennings' Volume 5 has him listed at North in 1885.
Also, does anyone know what month in 1884 the team went to Adelaide?

Hotham toured Adelaide in May 1885. The date of that photo is wrong.Flowers is not listed in the Hotham team in 1884 but is listed in Pennings Vol 2 as being recruited from the Star of Carlton in 1885. Perhaps he went back to Star of Carlton from Carlton and then to Hotham.

View attachment 828948
Here is the photo with the correct date.
Kangaroo7
Thank you very much, so we (blueseum) now have an image of him. Would you know his first name?

For info Tom McCracken also played for Carlton and for a joke, nicked a sheep carcass from a butchers shop in Adelaide, an amusing story. When he played the crowd would yell out "Baa Baa". Tom tragically died at a young age of 25 from typhoid.
Tankard played a pre season match with Carlton till he had a run in with George Coulthard.
Thanks once again.

Grandad used to tell me " everyone " was afraid of Johnny Lewis, not just Dyer 😂

Fancy opening the front door back in the 1930's, and finding this bloke there telling you that you owed him money?:D

1583795988777.png

He'd be at home in any period gangster movie.

~ 0:30 to ~ 0:46 should be looped and played over a loudspeaker at Arden Street, at non stop hourly intervals.

In fact, giantroo could you please utilise your video wizardry and do this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back